Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not starting a car for a month....

• 13-09-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I'm heading on holidays for a month, and I'm wondering what are the consequences of not starting it for a month. I could give it to a friend
    to mind for a month to drive once a week or whatever, but they'd only
    have third party insurance.

So if I leave it for a month will I have to get any servicing done on
    it, or would it be enough to get someone to start it and leave it
    idleing for 15 mins once a week???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the car? If its like anything from the last 15 years and has been reasonably looked after you have little or nothing to worry about.

Just unhook the battery (just in case something is draining current v-e-r-y slowly) and leave the car in first gear with a chock behind or the wheels with the handbrake off.

I would'nt have someone come round and idle the car for 10-15 mins, it'll achieve nothing good for the time you're away.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

mike65 wrote:
    Whats the car? If its like anything from the last 15 years and has been reasonably looked after you have little or nothing to worry about.

01 Ford Focus. Other than the new stereo and the alarm/immobiliser there
    is nothing that should drain the battery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I have a 00 Focus and left it parked up recently for nine weeks started first time and drove it straight from dublin to Galway without stopping .

It will be grand

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

It will definitely be fine, my 1996 corsa was parked up for over 3months and it started and ran fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

A gentler way to start an engine up for the first time in a while is to turn it over on the starter motor for a few turns first. Do this by removing the lead going from the coil to the distributor (if this is not possible, remove the HT leads from each of the spark plugs) and turn the key as you would to start the car normally.

Before doing anything check the oil level is at or near the max level on the dipstick and also that the coolant is at or near the max level in the expansion tank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement