Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bbq?

Options
  • 13-09-2005 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any vegetarian / vegan recipes for the BBQ?

Obiously, tomatoes, corn on the cob, courgettes, peppers, etc. can all be roasted, but aside from that....

I did a sorta-burger mix recently with chick-peas, which was nice but had a problem staying together :(

jc

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can you bbq quorn?
    hmm maybe an experiment is in order :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Halloumi cheese is fantastic in slices on the BBQ. You can get it in the Asia Market or in Madinah on Moore Street, I'm not even vegetarian and I would choose it over most steaks/burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Halloumi cheese is fantastic in slices on the BBQ. You can get it in the Asia Market or in Madinah on Moore Street, I'm not even vegetarian and I would choose it over most steaks/burgers.

Unfortunately (for me, and those I cook for), I think its vile off the BBQ. I'd go for stuff like breaded mozarella sticks instead.

As for BBQing quorn....yes...you can...quorn-burgers are quite easy to get over here, but I'd rather make somethign for my veggie guests than serve them packet stuff.

I dunno....its just that I feel kinda bad that the meat-eaters get loads of stuff with hand-made marinades, and home-made burgers etc, while the veggies get either some "boring" roast vegetables or something out of a packet.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i guess.... make sure you've got loads of salads and stuff. vegetarian sausages will bbq well... the veggie burgers always creeped me out (why would you want to pretend you are eating meat?!), so dunno if they're the best idea. you could make lentil burgers, but it depends on the recepie as to how they work out. tehy can taste brill! good luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it's not that i want to pretend i eat meat,i think they are fantastic mmm
    bit of on ion and fungus and away i go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

it's not that i want to pretend i eat meat,i think they are fantastic mmm

hehe this is a funny post

veggies can be tasty mmmmmkay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

How about veg kebabs bbq'ed on a skewer, e.g. chunks of green/yellow/red peppers, onions, tofu, courgette/aubergine, carrot perhaps.

You could serve it in a tortilla wrap with some salsa sauce or hummus, or just as a side dish garnished with soy sauce & coriander.

..and bbq'ed baked potatoes wrapped in tin foil are always good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Teriyaki marinade makes barbequed veggies a bit more interesting. It's particularly nice with aubergines. Tried this recently and though the consistency of the marinade was a bit odd, it tasted really good!

1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup sake (or white wine)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
    1 clove of crushed garlic
    A little bit of grated fresh ginger

Mix it all up in a bowl until the sugar dissolves.

Peel the aubergines and cut into large pieces. Brush with the marinade and grill for a few minutes on each side. Serve with a bit more of the marinade poured over and whatever else you like.

Advertisement