Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to get..

Options
  • 13-09-2005 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a second hand starter car,

Something like an ASTRA, Fiesta, Ibiza or something. And i don't want to pay more then 600 quid for it as i'm only learning to drive. I could get a 05' but i want to wait until i have a full licence.

I can get a 95' silver 1.4L Opel Astra for 550 quid.

I can get a 91 Fiesta for 500 quid

What would you recommend i do? Or who should i got to..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

toyota starlet. good reliable car,give very few problems and easy to sell later! 91 fiesta will drink petrol , astra headgaskets,water pumps give trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

greglo23 wrote:
    astra headgaskets,water pumps give trouble.
    Had a 93' Astra 1.4 Only thing went was the fuel pump Had it for 2.5 years Didn't think it was that bad on petrol either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What age are you? If you're under 21, the most important consideration for you is insurance, even if you're over 21 it will still be a big factor.

1.0 litre Starlets and Micras are popular because of cheap insurance and tax, but this popularity means that you will struggle to find a decent one for your budget. Lesser known cars available with 1.0 litre engines include the Suzuki Swift and Daihatsu Charade. These might be cheaper.

Bigger cars such as the Astra are often cheaper and decent cars can be acquired but the catch is the insurance is going to be higher on these cars or you may not get cover at all. You'll have to get a few quotes before deciding what to do.

As for reliability etc. it's always a lottery buying a car for 600 quid, no matter what the make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Ok i'm 24, i'll be 25 on November 1st. Could i get a 1.4astra, get my girlfriend insured on it (as she is 24 and has a 5 years no claim bonus, her insurance is about 500 quid) and then go as a named driver? would that be cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

Ok i'm 24, i'll be 25 on November 1st. Could i get a 1.4astra, get my girlfriend insured on it (as she is 24 and has a 5 years no claim bonus, her insurance is about 500 quid) and then go as a named driver? would that be cheaper?

May be, though she can't use her bonus on two cars at once, she'll also have to be the legal owner and registered keeper and you won't be earning any bonus of your own.

Also, you'll probably find that the insurance will be rated on you as the higher risk any way - so the price difference may not be huge.

From an insurance point of view, due to the claims history Fiesta's tend to be more expensive to insure than Astras or micra's

• Advertisement
Advertisement