Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs on Wheels

Options
  • 13-09-2005 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭

Only joking. :D

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/press_story3.html
    Tour De Force - Garda Charity Cycle

On the 9th September 2005 a group of 50 Gardaí will depart from Rosslare to commence a charity cycle in Roscoff, France. The group will undertake to cycle 900kms ending six days later in San Sebastian, Spain.

It is hoped that over €100,000 will be raised for two charities. The major beneficiary of the monies raised will be the Oncology ward of St. John at Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin . There will also be a donation made to the Haiti project, which is being run in conjunction with UCD Volunteers Overseas who are reconstructing a bridge destroyed by floods in Haiti.

The cycle will be undertaken by the Gardaí in their spare time.

The Gardaí involved have put in many months training for this journey and are delighted that the results of their efforts will be going to such worthy causes. All the Gardaí are based in Dublin and for many of these this is their first long distance cycle.

We hope that it will be a success and will be financially rewarding for both charities.

The cycle was formally launched by Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy on Thursday 1st September at Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

"Tour De Force" well, the marketing dept went all out on that one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

i know this is kinda off the subject but not really....I'm just wondering about the Garda Bikes that they cycle around the city.....why do they cycle mountain bikes around the city?!? wouldn't it be better to have some sort of fast road bike or at least a hybrid. I mean those mountain bikes tyres are completely pointless in the city....aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

So they look tough, I couldnt stop laughing the last day when one of them tried to hop a curb just off Eyre Sq and landed on his face..... there were about 20 people just looking at him not knowing wha to do.... I just couldn't hold in my laughter and he wasnt impressed!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I can't help feeling sorry for them. Their bikes look like heavy pieces of crap, loaded with all sorts of unnecessary bits and pieces and I'll bet some "entreprenuer" is taking them to the cleaners on sales and maintenance.

Whoever came up that spec. probably does'nt ride a bike.

If I was a biker guard, I'd want something light, fast, no carriers or stands or any of that crap, disc'd up with top range forx so I could bunnyhop anything while chasing gurs. Something with the words Specialized and s-works on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

tywy wrote:
    i know this is kinda off the subject but not really....I'm just wondering about the Garda Bikes that they cycle around the city.....why do they cycle mountain bikes around the city?!? wouldn't it be better to have some sort of fast road bike or at least a hybrid. I mean those mountain bikes tyres are completely pointless in the city....aren't they?

For that matter what's the point of a 4x4 in a city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

egan007 wrote:
    For that matter what's the point of a 4x4 in a city?
    You can see over cars.... aparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I think the Cycleways repair centre does the maintenance on the Gardai bikes. I know I dropped in a couple of years ago looking for a gear/brake tune-up and was told there was no chance for the next couple of weeks as they would be up to their necks in servicing police bikes. Maybe they sold them their bikes too? And knowing Cycleways I'm sure their making a tidy profit.

Advertisement