Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asp database question

Options
  • 13-09-2005 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of a problem inserting some info into a database. Heres my code:

<%
    dim strFirst
    dim strEmail

strFirst = Request.Form("name")
    strEmail = Request.Form("email")

Response.Write(strFirst) & "<br>"
    Response.Write(strEmail)

MyPath=Server.MapPath("emails_names.mdb")
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.Open "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
    "DBQ=" & MyPath

SQL = "INSERT INTO details (Name, Email) VALUES ('"&strFirst&"','"&strEmail&"')"
    conn.Execute(SQL)
    %>

and heres the error message:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
    /flash_capture/project3/processForm.asp, line 21"

Line 21 is conn.Execute(SQL). I'm fairly new to asp so I apologise if the error is blindingly obvious.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'm pretty sure that this is a permissions issue. You need to give write permissions to the Internet Guest User (IUSR_<computer name>) account on the access database, emails_names.mdb.

Just in case you are not sure how to do this, open up My Computer and choose Tools -> Folder Options. Click View and scroll to the very bottom and make sure simple file sharing is not ticked. Then right click on the file and choose properties. Choose the Security Tab and click Add. For the Object name type IUSR_<computer name> and click check names. It should find the Internet Guest User. Click OK then click in the IUSR account and click read and write permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Thanks serbian - thats fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi,

I know this is totally OT and you have probably done this anyway, but remember to escape single quotes - especially when you are dealing with name fields, and even more especially when you are dealing with Irish names!

regards,

Eoin
    Function formatFormText(sText)
    	sText = "" & sText  'should handle null values now
    	sText = Replace(sText, "'", "''")
    	formatFormText = sText
    End Function

strFirst = FormatFormText(Request.Form("name"))
    strEmail = FormatFormText(Request.Form("email"))

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

thanks eoin - Ill add that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

in addition - you should escape all fields, not just name fields.
    You should also trap characters such as <. >, [, ], and possibly also possible SQL statements, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

eoin_s wrote:
    Hi,

I know this is totally OT and you have probably done this anyway, but remember to escape single quotes - especially when you are dealing with name fields, and even more especially when you are dealing with Irish names!

regards,

Eoin

Ah, someone beat me to it :)

Advertisement