Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Happy to see the clampers

Options
  • 13-09-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I live in an area very close to Croke Park. On popular match days the area is swamped with cars taking up every available space in the area. I've lived in the area a long time and it's gotten worse over the years but at the end of the day it doesn't bother me that much. Now my gripe is with neighbours in the locality and clampers. I'll start with the clampers. The local residents association have some hold over the clampers as they enforce zero tolerance in my area and leave other areas completely untouched. I can understand being clamped on a double yellow line or if blocking a footpath. They clamp cars parked on corners without markings. I think the law states no parking withing 6 metres of a corner. During sunrdays match the corner nearest to me had 4 cars clamped, 2 on each side. So what's the point in clamping these cars? They are still there causing the same disruption anyway as they have not been removed yet it's no problem for people to park there on non match days. It doesn't solve the problem as when the next match takes place different people will just park there.
    As for the neighbours I have two problems. On this particular corner the man has a driveway to access his garden where he always parks. But on match days he takes his trailer and two cars out on to the street to take up three spaces for no reason, then he revels in the fact that cars get clamped outside his house. Then there is the other type of neighbour, the ones who block space on the road with bins, chairs and planks. Keeping a space for when the return. If you can't handle the fact that the area gets busy about 6 or 8 times a year then go live somewhere else. But I guess I can't complain too much about these guys as they provide a place for me to park if I need to go out and then come back to find the space outside my house gone. I have no hesitations about moving their bins/chairs to park and I've had a number of arguements with them about this.
    There is a growing number of residents who are anti croke park and about 70% are new enough to the area, so if they don't like Croke Park and GAA fans then why move here? These same people have no problems taking tickets for the matches from the residents associations and reselling them for profit, denying real GAA fans in the area the chance to go to the match.
    That's it, rant over. So how do other people see it? Are there any members here who live in affected areas as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I know what its like around CP on match days, but I can see how the neighbours get annoyed about you taking their (as they see it) reserved space. I think your being a bit selfish tbh removing their bins and parking in the space yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

ando wrote:
    I know what its like around CP on match days, but I can see how the neighbours get annoyed about you taking their (as they see it) reserved space. I think your being a bit selfish tbh removing their bins and parking in the space yourself

Okay you either live in Croke Park, or you're a troll.

If not either, I can't for the life of me see how you find it selfish that he parks in the area he lives. It only makes sense to me. People who leave bins and chairs on the road so no-one else can park there are selfish. I don't understand how anyone could see it any other way. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Baz_ wrote:
    If not either, I can't for the life of me see how you find it selfish that he parks in the area he lives.

I don’t find it selfish that he parks where he lives, I find it selfish that he blatantly takes advantage of the bins that the neighbour has put on the street in an attempt to reserve a spot outside their house, and parks there himself
    FX Meister wrote:
    But I guess I can't complain too much about these guys as they provide a place for me to park if I need to go out and then come back to find the space outside my house gone. I have no hesitations about moving their bins/chairs to park and I've had a number of arguements with them about this

hmm, well ok imagine you live in the area and its match day. You have to goto the shops to get some bread and milk. You know as soon as you drive the car 10meters someone will take your spot outside your house leaving you stranded. So you put 2 bins in where your car was in some attempt to keep the spot outside your own house. On returning to your house, you see one of your neighbours has blatantly taken advantage of the bins and parked in the spot himself. I just see it as common neighborly courtesy to leave the spot for the guy that put the bins there, you know why he's done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Then there is the other type of neighbour, the ones who block space on the road with bins, chairs and planks. Keeping a space for when the return.

These have no legal standing so you can toss them aside and park there. As a resident, you don't have the right to parking outside your house. Is a parking permit required for this area? Then again even it does it probably wouldn't apply on Sundays.

As a former resident of the area, it is a joke the way the GAA treat the locality. They don't really care nor have they taken proactive steps to try and manage traffic and parking in the area. They should have been doing this instead of building hotels.

The residents don't really help either with their demands for concert tickets etc. You knew what was beside you when you bought so get used to it. Everybody has something in their area whether it be a hospital, dump, poswer station ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Unlike the UK, you have no legal right to a free parking space in front of your house. Tough sh!t, deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If I want to go to the shop and not lose my spot I just walk. That or I take the risk of losing my spot.
    ando wrote:
    hmm, well ok imagine you live in the area and its match day. You have to goto the shops to get some bread and milk. You know as soon as you drive the car 10meters someone will take your spot outside your house leaving you stranded. So you put 2 bins in where your car was in some attempt to keep the spot outside your own house. On returning to your house, you see one of your neighbours has blatantly taken advantage of the bins and parked in the spot himself. I just see it as common neighborly courtesy to leave the spot for the guy that put the bins there, you know why he's done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

At least you're close enough to get the free tickets...we just get sick outside the doors, parking all over the place, litter and noise.

I have lived in the North Strand for over 15 years, and only once did a GAA head ask did I mind his car blocking access for me (and he was a Dub).

It's hardly just 6-8 times a year, in fairness, and it's getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

It's pure abandonment. If you saw a space on the road, with no double yellow, and there was a perfectly good carpark around the corner charging the usual Dublin prices, what would you do? The GAA is just happy to take the ticket money, do you think there bothered where people park.

They give free tickets to Locals to shut people up, and for no other reason.

...and anyone giving out about having cars parked outside their homes on match day is just asking for it. Unless of course, it's your own or you've been there before the GAA.

Advertisement