Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing pitch ideas...

• 13-09-2005 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a random post, but bear with me. Please move to a better forum if needs be.

I need to write an article 850 -1000 words as a pitch to a magazine and would be very grateful to anyone who I might be able to bounce some ideas about with.

The magazine (not based in Ireland) is aimed at graduates in their 20s - 30s, an educated, centre or left of centre readership, with an international outlook, up on current affairs, probably cynical about politics and not too enthralled by Blair & Bush, reasonably well-read and well-travelled.

If anyone would like to make some suggestions, I can mention a few of my own and see if I can find something suitable.

** Edit added **
    "How Provocative Can You Be?"

I have begun an article but it is not focussed enough, but it started seriously and now is a bit sarcastic. I need some factual element or quotes to back it up. Some of the language needs polishing...some of the argument may be superficial...oh and you may feel I have dismissed valid counter arguments.
    (You see what happens when I start to write...words are uploaded out of my head onto the PC screen faster than I can structure an article into something that might appeal to a reader or editor)

I can try and attach the article for your comments. Most important is that it reads ok and that you can relate to it - if I do post what I have written so far.

Guidelines for it are as follows -

General style
    • Make the first sentence/ para punchy. Who, where, what, why, when?
    • Don’t waste a word: make every word count. If it’s not needed, cut it out.
    • Have a clear perspective and follow it throughout.
    • Tie the conclusion to the opening para. Finish strongly.
    • Remember who our audience is: young people, typically twenty – thirty years
    old with a degree.
    • Be crisp, direct, focused and coherent. Avoid long-winded sentences and
    repetition.
    • Don’t be afraid to use humour.
    • Avoid cliché e.g. “time will tell” or “at the end of the day”, etc. Keep in mind
    George Orwell's rule, "Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech
    which you are used to seeing in print... There is a huge dump of wornout
    metaphors which are merely used because they save people the trouble of
    inventing phrases for themselves."
    • Use fluid prose that is easy to understand to a reader who is new to your
    subject. Avoid social science jargon: we don’t like academic text like this…
    Some suggest that President Putin is following a traditional model of strong
    executive/presidential authority…others argue that Putin is reverting to realist
    theory…
    • The article should close with a short brief about the writer. For example,
    “Paul Rogers lives and works in London. He works in the insurance industry.” Feel
    free to add your email address if you don’t mind readers writing to you.
    Strengthen the argument
    • Avoid superficial analysis e.g. “Everybody knows George Bush follows the
    oil…”
    • Avoid sneering rhetoric e.g. “so called” “rabid right winger”
    • Do not dismiss valid counter arguments/ commonly held beliefs - e.g. “all those
    wailing over the death of the Pope ignore that he is responsible for the needless
    deaths of millions”. Back up opinion with fact.
    • Report as well as opine (depending on the context).
    • Incorporate interviews, quotes, etc and identify sources.
    • Generally it’s better to criticise ideas, not people.
    • Add relevant weblinks at the bottom of the article so the reader can go further.
    • Don’t be afraid to offer bold or controversial arguments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

What is the pitch for ? To become a marketing agent for them ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

no to write for them

Are the graduates European?

Are you aiming to write an objective article, or something that leans towards the readership sympathetically, or are you thinking of taking a contrarian view the readership's views/ethos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

smiaras, maybe you could let your friend sweetbirdoftruth know about this thread?

Culchie, yep I think the readership is European, I am open to the leanings of the article depending on the subject matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

So inevitably I have come up with two article ideas myself - your thoughts are welcome, perhaps I will post them when i have developed them a bit more and you can vote on the one I will pitch to the magazine...

As the guidelines suggest, I am writing about ideas, trying to take a radical and critically questioning approach.

1) How modern lifestyles increasingly detach us from nature and the possible effects on us, our outlook and our psychological well-being

2) In a word, oil, the lifeblood of capitalism and democracy. Our society and economy is based on the short-sighted and illusion that we have a cheap and abundant supply of it. We hear daily that competition is good for consumers, good for business and yet we do not have competition when it comes to the energy source on which our fate rests. That our economy is vulnerable in this way is down to many factors. Namely collusion, short-termism and the very fact that the same tax revenue oil helps to generate is what sustains the whole structure in the first place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jrey1981 wrote:
    2) to follow. I am worried it smacks of student journalism...

well post it, better us tell you than them.

Yes, post it. I worked for 9 years in the 'Oil Business' at a senior retail and marketing level, and would be very interested in your article.

Don't worry, I'm quite socially inclined as well, and always felt a little uncomfortable with myself working in the business, however there are some issues that the 'Oil Companies' get a terrible time over, and so there is a counter balance to be struck.

I kinda have an insight into both sides of the argument, unfortunately both sides of the argument never seen to engage in a rational debate.

my article is not criticising oil companies per se, more the idea that we are so vulnerably reliant on it. The article looks into the effects of this as well.

Perhaps you might have a quotable comment that I could add to the piece when I have developed it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

There's a good article in that, and it doesn't really sound too studenty, unless you make it that way!

It's important when we discuss 'oil', and our dependence on it, that we don't just take a narrow view of the existing energy shortgage alone.

With the refinement of crude oil comes not only petrol and diesel etc....don't forget the complete dependence on it's by-products for life saving drugs etc.... that no alternatives have yet been found. Then there's plastics etc...

You get my drift.

Thanks for your points guys. I will try and do a bit more tonight and see how it looks. I usually find it difficult to stay within word limits, so I usually have to cut down and tidy up a piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Just another angle, how's about the fact that with the fringes, or 'extremes' of modern culture becoming so mainstreamed, normality and sensibility are the new alternatives. As the teenager in the black hoody with the skateboard in his backpack becomes the norm, what defines rebellion? Will lawn bowls become replace extreme sports as the 'out there' experience? Just look at Franz Ferdinand, a bunch of straight, tie-and-suit wearing metronomes that were branded as the newest, innovative most provocative concept in music.

It it just me seeing this? In the words of Mugatu: I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE! They all look like mannequin office workers.

Provocative? I think not. So is it possible to be provocative at all nowadays? If so - how provocative can you be before you become mainstream?

That's about as deep as I go for this time of the day....

Yeh, even Poker is becoming respectable ! :(

Guys I missed the deadline on this due to having relatives visit and a heavy workload with other stuff...I am going to think about things anyway and try to approach the editor another time.

I am going to develop my ideas when I have the chance and see what you think later on. I thought of another approach recently which I hope will be of interest.

Advertisement