Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good make up.

• 13-09-2005 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hello, I just wanted to ask a question about the make up available in ireland. I've got quite pale skin but I've got a few scars that are quite red and get on my nerves, before I moved here it wasn't a problem but I find here I'm showing my face off more and more and I can't find a decent make up to cover up the scars! Can anyone recomend a good brand? If this is the wrong place I'm really sorry for posting this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The best thing to do would be to go to a department store and ask at the counters for advice.

I do remember reading about a specific foundation that was designed to cover scars on the face. There were loads of ads about it years ago

http://www.colortration.com/
    ^Is it something like that you'd be looking for?

I know that MAC foundation is very thick as it's theatrical make up iirc. You could ask for a sample at the counter at Brown Thomas and see if it does the trick. If you're unable to find a suitable foundation at any of the usual retailers something designed specifically for hiding scars etc. will probably be your best bet.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Thank you, unfortunatly I can't buy over the internet - my face seem such a strange colour I'd really want to try it out! That one the adds for sounds good!

The people in Brown Thomas are very scary!! I might ask in boot first! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, Brown Thomas can be a daunting place to visit!!

The Mac foundation that is used in theatre and TV is called Full-Coverage. And it does exactly that, covers everything. And they should have pale shades. They’ve even got Green and Red colours!!

But there’s also a MAC in Dundrum S.C. and also BT2 in Blanch., which I doubt would be as scary as BT’s.

I’ve heard that Laura Mercier have good concealers but I don’t know how pale they go.

I know you can’t order online but this is for others who might be in the same position as yourself and want to find a good concealer. It’s called Veil and its fab!!! http://www.veilcover.com/whatcover.htm

Get the demo kit. It’s a palette of various shades starting from pale pale to very dark/ ebony. It’s great because you can mix the different shades to match your skin tone. And a red spot might need a different mix to blue/purple circle under your eyes.

http://www.veilcover.com/veilproducts.htm

Hope that helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 squiiish

chickens wrote:
    Thank you, unfortunatly I can't buy over the internet - my face seem such a strange colour I'd really want to try it out! That one the adds for sounds good!

The people in Brown Thomas do look pretty scary - especially if like me you are pierced, tattooed and not a girly-girl. However when I was going to my debs I made an appointment with one of their make up counters ( It might have been Bobbi Brown?) and for about 20 quid they did my make up for my debs and I got to choose a free product. They were really nice, gave me tips on how to apply stuff and the make up looked really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

chickens wrote:

Two really good ones are MAC SPF 15 foundation - good coverage but the best one for what your skin type would be Royal Effem by declair, you'll need to go to a beautican's to get it but it's brillant, I've never seen anything like it on the market. & it's lasts all day as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm. I can't wear over-the-counter foundation because I'm too pale. It just looks biscuit-orange. I'm in the UK, so I get the Priscriptives Counter at House of Fraser to blend foundation for me. It's relatively expensive - £30 for the foundation and almost £20 for a concealer, but it lasts at least a year.

There's bound to be somewhere in Ireland that does something similar - they'll need to do a test card with your skin, where they hold tonal charts against you and see which one matches your skin tones. Then they should select a colour - if you're lucky they may have a pre-mix colour, otherwise they'll blend to your shade.

Concealer should be slightly darker than your skin tone - after all, it's there to hide blemishes and dark shadows. Additionally there are special make-ups to cover scars.

One last thing - don't be too disheartened if your visit to a superstore make-up counter doesn't go well. The staff on the counters are not necessarily beauticians, they can also just be sales people who went on a short training course. I know some people who've had disastrous experiences with make-up counters in city centre shops - they've gone out for some pre-wedding experiments and ended up being blue-eyeshadowed and pink-lipsticked and feeling terrible once it's done.

Oh - I've just remembered - Shiseido are a japanese cosmetics company who do some very nice products - not cheap, but very good. Their mascara is excellent (though this is just my opinion). I think it's worth dabbling around the tester counters of the expensive brands. There's nothing worse than cheap makeup, and it may just make you look worse rather than better.

squiiish wrote:
    The people in Brown Thomas do look pretty scary - especially if like me you are pierced, tattooed and not a girly-girl. However when I was going to my debs I made an appointment with one of their make up counters ( It might have been Bobbi Brown?) and for about 20 quid they did my make up for my debs and I got to choose a free product. They were really nice, gave me tips on how to apply stuff and the make up looked really well.

Oh! That sounds nice, but wont I try that. Last time I went into brown thomas the girl was so rude I would not like to support them. Thank you
    Minesajackdaniels, taht sounds very worth hwile I may try that - I hate that biscuit look. I think there is a house of fraiser coming to Ireland soon so I'll have a good look inthere. If you get a special mixed one it will same money because you wont be messing with all the silly cheeper ones and probably spending as much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Tesco concealer is great (don't be put off by the brand :) )It's a gel/cream combo and is pigment dense without looking too heavy on the skin.Three shades including fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

chickens wrote:
    Oh! That sounds nice, but wont I try that. Last time I went into brown thomas the girl was so rude I would not like to support them. Thank you
    Minesajackdaniels, taht sounds very worth hwile I may try that - I hate that biscuit look. I think there is a house of fraiser coming to Ireland soon so I'll have a good look inthere. If you get a special mixed one it will same money because you wont be messing with all the silly cheeper ones and probably spending as much!

If you're looking for House Of Fraiser, it's opened allready in Mahon Point in Cork - OK selection of stuff

There's a Prescriptives counter in House Of Fraiser in Dundrum if you don't like Brown Thomas. I think the custom blend costs around 60 euro. But they will keep mixing it till its the shade that you want and you can decide on the coverage (medium, full) and what finish you want (i.e. matter or dewy). And their products are good for sensitive skin.

But scars are difficult to cover so always get the counter assistant to try on the concealer before you buy.

• Advertisement

Rantorama wrote:
    Tesco concealer is great (don't be put off by the brand :) )It's a gel/cream combo and is pigment dense without looking too heavy on the skin.Three shades including fair.

Which is far to dark a shade for my skin, I end up looking not unlike a munchkin.

Larianne, would I be allowed to try and see if it works if they have mixed it specially for me? If it not work whould I still have to buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hey chickens - if the Prescriptives Counter in Dundrum is like the one in the UK, they apply it to your skin until they get the shade right - and on your face, not on the back of your hand. In my experience they tend to try at the corner of your face, between cheek and jawbone, so the place where you'd usually start seeing the edge of the munchkin-mask. They'll cleanse a patch first then start colour testing on it. The foundation I get is literally the same colour as my own skin so it's practically invisible, it just smooths out freckles (and helps on hangover days). The concealer is a little thicker and darker (I get a matt finish).

Both are still SHADES lighter than the typical beige stuff that over the counter brands call 'fair'.

Best thing to do is go to the girl on the counter (or ring them!) and ask her all of your 'try before you buy' questions. Let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

chickens wrote:
    Which is far to dark a shade for my skin, I end up looking not unlike a munchkin.
    Mmmm,really?

It is very hard to camouflage a red scar on pale skin without using a green concealer before hand.
    A lot of concealer cheap or expenesive will hot up and go dark after a few hours on the skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

chickens, why not arrange a session with a professional makeup artist thats independent of all the brands and can give you one to one advice not sitting on a counter.

even the most successful models or actresses have less than perfect faces and complexions, they just know how to conceal some things and enhance other features. makeup artists that work for photography film and television have the most experience you need.

a good mua will give you a list of products and brushes to buy and you can get them one by one if you like.

i know someone that went to this girl who is one of the best in the country. she said after it was the best money she ever spent.
    http://www.kateconkey.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Larianne wrote:
    I’ve heard that Laura Mercier have good concealers but I don’t know how pale they go.

Laura Mercier brand concealers are excellent and have plenty of coverage pigment without looking too heavy. I'm fair, and the color can be blended between two shades that come in the compact that relates to your skin tone. It also lasts if you have combination or oily skin.

If you have the funds, then Prescriptives is the way to go. Anything custom-blended for your color, especially if you're extra fair, will look much better than anything else you could find, IMO.

If anyone has serious scarring or port wine birthmarks, then I've seen this product do amazing things. It's probably very close to the Veilcover that Larianne suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

YSL Touche Eclat is brill! its 30 euro but well worth it, covers everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Touche Eclait is a highlighter though. You're not meant to wear it as a concealer. Highlighters don't work well as concealers. They're for emphasising parts of your face. They'll make scars look like they're glowing.

chickens wrote:

Larianne, would I be allowed to try and see if it works if they have mixed it specially for me? If it not work whould I still have to buy it?

No, once you ask for a custom blend you have to buy it as they are making up the foundation to suit your skin. They can’t sell it to anyone else. But I do know that anyone who has got it made up for them have been very happy with it.

They will keep blending the tints till it get to the colour that suits your skin and you can decide what type of finish you want and what coverage you like. If you are still not sure what coverage/finish you want, ask the counter assistant to try some of their foundations on your skin, like a patch test. Obviously the colour will probably not be right but you will get to feel the texture on your skin and see what the finish is like. There should be no problem with you asking them to do this. If you are going to spend 60 quid on a foundation, you want to get it right and be happy with it.

The Prescriptives counter is a lovely counter. Real relaxed and not pushy. The products are great for sensitive skin. The woman who set it up is a dermatologist with bad skin who was tired of trying to find decent skincare and make-up for problem skin.

I recommend that you go around to the other counters and see what’s on offer first. Just so you know what’s out there. I find that with each Beauty House they have one or two products that are brilliant and a must have. You just gotta source it out!!
    YSL Touche Eclat is brill! its 30 euro but well worth it, covers everything!

This is not a concealer but a highlighter. The celebs use it over their concealer so the eye area doesnt look dead. It definately would not be strong enough to cover scarring. It's a lot of hype. I found it useless as it has a lot of pink pigment in it so if you're covering bluey tones under eyes or redness on blemishes it just makes it worse!!

For concealers, try the MAC or Laura Mercier one or if you can get hold of a credit card, the Veil concealer is brillant!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Hey, why not visit a beautician who also does make-up. I know the lady I used to go to had dermalogica make-up which was recommended to my friend who suffered from red cheeks but didn't want anything too heavy.

Also, if you need heavy coverage, why not get a max factor pan stick? They are cheap and available in chemists nationwide. I used to use them years ago, but found them too heavy for my skin, but excellent coverage all the same :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. Dermablend are a makeup that cover up tattoos, rosacea and even scarring. Their website is www.dermablend.com im sure they will have a stockist in the UK or Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement