Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real UCD Lingo

Options
  • 13-09-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

The fresher's guide has a 'UCD lingo' or something page with the hope of telling freshers UCD words. But they missed out some.

Like Hilpers. The cafe is the arts block is called hilpers. The science building in the middle is called the science lecture building. The one nearer the main gate is called physics, the one nearer the student centre is biology and the one nearer ag is called chemistry. It was hard enough to give directions to a first year when they weren't sure what the buildings were called.

Add your own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

hmmm....

i know that "the grind" is the sandwich bar in the student centre...
    Blue Room, is upstairs in the same building. This may also be known as "The Bin"
    "the blob" is a peice of crap peice of art in the arts block in the "concourse" close to the B-C stairs.

Tir na nOg, or the lost lake, or the "other" ;) must be found by The Student as a Rite Of Passage... once there get drunk on last day of term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The Cafe in the Student Centre is often known as Mick Donnells.

The lake behind the vet block is sometimes known as tir na nOg or Lake 2.

The lake behind the vet block

Aha! :p

Tir na nOg, or the lost lake, or the "other" must be found by The Student as a Rite Of Passage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The bin is the big circular lecture theatre in the Ag Sci building. Had a tough time figuring that out last year trying to get to sci-fi soc events - when I asked the woman at the counter in the building she pointed to the nearest rubbish bin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I can't really add anything but I will say one thing I've noticed over my two years here.

Nobody I have ever encountered, not one soul, ever says Hilpers.
    Ever.

EVER.

Everyone I know just calls it the Arts Cafe. Meh.
    Tir na nOg is one I've used and heard used, the blob as well, the bin and the grind ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's probably because we're old, and were in UCD before they called it the Arts Cafe...lol.
    *takes out walking stick*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i wish someone had filled me in on the hilpers thing.... the last 4 years would have made more sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

m1ke wrote:
    i wish someone had filled me in on the hilpers thing.... the last 4 years would have made more sense....

yes some UCD oldies filled me in on that a few times....

Stu Centre one used to be called "finnegans break"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Umpa loompas and BOP (blond, orange, pink) are derogratory terms for girls in arts and commerce who have south-side syndrome and tend to look like barbie dolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Hilpers was called hilpers long ago. When I came to college it was called soemthing else, finnegan's break I think, but everyone called it hilpers. I'm trying to get that get it to stick. :)

And the fast food outlet used to be called cafe brava. You can still see it on the reciepts.

• Advertisement

Yeah I seem to remember the Arts Cafe being known as Finnegan's Break as well, when I arrived we were in an odd period of the oldest students calling it that, older students calling it Hilpers, and stubborn freshers such as myself calling it the Arts Cafe.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

^^^what Syth said re Hilpers.
    Basically Finnegans Break is far to corny a name for anyone to actually use.
    The Old Bar is the one everyone goes to (the barn), the new bar is the one no one goes to (in the student centre) and the sports bar, well that's just crap. The Place Formerly Known As Café Brava, which now has no name used to be more coffee orientated, before realising no one would pay the prices - so they went for the lowest common denominator... chips... which you can get in 4 different places for lunch in UCD now (if you count upstairs and downstairs in the main restaurant as different places). O'Briens is still potterring along over in the Sports Centre (I presume). Over here in Conway (and in Commerce) we have the ridiculously expensive Insomnia (formerly Perk). Oh and 911 used to be Dunkin Donuts (for any newbies). That about covers it. The various canteens and things are largely best avoided. The science canteen used to serve SOME half decent food a million years ago. Baked potatoes and cornish pasties. However, they also served what was commonly known as "meat Surprise", usually served with yellow rice. Overcooked crap with no flavour. I don't know if they really do anything there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Johnny Airflow. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Johnny Airflow.

repeat as neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

there are places called bat cave and the control tower. i'd tell you where they are but i'd have to kill you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

Its called Hilpers. And i hate the term tear na nog or wahtever, thats worse and cornier then finnegans break. ITS THE SECRET LAKE. also the bin is in Ag Sci.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

for anyone in the quinn school insominia used to be known as perk many years ago.....(actaully up to last year). It still serves the same crap though....and seems to emplyee the same ppl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

The services desk in Arts used to be called the Starship Enterprise, well before my time (I started in 2001).

I'm trying to resurrect that one - will anyone join me on my quest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

ferdi wrote:
    there are places called bat cave and the control tower. i'd tell you where they are but i'd have to kill you

I think I know where you are referring too, altho it was always known as simpyl the secret room to me, although this year I havent the time to mess about there, considering its uses are well...smoky? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Room G15 in the science block is also known as the Nerd Cave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Lisapeep wrote:
    Room G15 in the science block is also known as the Nerd Cave!
    Yeah. It used to be a toilet.

I remember the original nerd cave... Memories....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As do I :)
    219... gone but not forgotten.

The area just in front of the Arts Cafe is known as the Department of Lung Cancer, although with the introduction of Modularisation/Semesterisation this may have to be changed to the College of Lung Cancer. Or School of Lung Cancer. Whatever. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

Johnny Airflow... legend of the eng block

Advertisement