Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Man killed in Co Galway rail accident

• 13-09-2005 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0913/galway.html
    Man killed in Co Galway rail accident
    13 September 2005 22:20

AA man has been killed in an accident tonight on the Galway - Dublin railway line near Ballinasloe, Co Galway.

The man, who was in his early 50s, was struck by the Dublin bound train at Creagh, about two miles from the town.

There are about 200 passengers on the train, which is now due to arrive in Dublin at 11.15pm, nearly two hours behind schedule.

As a result of the accident, two Dublin to Galway trains had to stop in Athlone and 350 passengers are being transferred to Galway and other western destinations by a fleet of buses.

The gardaí and Iarnród Éireann have begun two separate investigations into the incident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Another suicide.. imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Repli wrote:
    Another suicide.. imo

Well unless he was a railway worker (highly unlikely) there is no legitimate reason for being on the line near a moving train.
    So either suicide or stupidity.
    There are a few people hit every year at accomodation crossings and many suicides, most don't get into the news though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah.. roughly 500 suicides a year in the Republic, which is more than road deaths. There's nothing really special about this case, just he chose a very painful way to die in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If it was suicide, he chose an extremely selfish way of killing himself. He could have been taking a short cut along the railway tracks which, of course, is stupid and not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Repli wrote:
    Yeah.. roughly 500 suicides a year in the Republic, which is more than road deaths. There's nothing really special about this case, just he chose a very painful way to die in my opinion.

Sorry this is off topic but why do you say it was a painfull way to die? I would have thought he wouldn't have felt a thing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

daveg wrote:
    Sorry this is off topic but why do you say it was a painfull way to die? I would have thought he wouldn't have felt a thing tbh.

I guess its not so much actual pain as it is both the thought and having the balls to stand in front of a hurtling train.

I don't understand either why anyone would, out of curiousity, I always wonder why people don't just take alot of pills, or strangle themselves rather then do things like jump off buildings, and slit their wrists....but anyway. That's just me.

Must have been awful for the poor train driver, in any case. And whoever the man himself was, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think people are being a bit hasty here deciding that the man committed suicide. After all the rail lines run through farmland and are crossed regularly by farmers who don't just use the main-road level crossings. It may well be a badly timed crossing by the man. He may have thought he had enough time and misjudged it. Pedestrians do it every day on the road but if one of them is killed we don't all cry "suicide" do we?

My condolences to his family. I hope none of them read this thread though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Poor oul fecker. He might have been p!ssed. Remember that teenager that was killed up the north when he wandered onto the line while intoxicated. Sad stuff.

Advertisement