Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts

• 13-09-2005 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi, im thinking of doing arts next year and was just wondering whats the course like? thinking of doing philosophy, psycology(if i can learn how to spell it :) ), english and politics. is the course actually worthwhile or is just the 3 year piss up iv heard of? replies appriciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Arts, like most non professional degrees, is what you make of it. Any degree can be looked at as a piss up, you just mightn't be happy when the finals roll around.

What are your goals? Are you looking to pursue an academic career or just looking for a few letters after your name to help you in the workplace or do you want to teach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

If u want to get a job out of your degree you will have to do another year or two after the inital three years. Correct me if im worng but do u have to pay to do a masters in arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i think you do have to pay for a masters.Not entirely sure.Can someone do me a massive favour and post up the 6 saubject choice ranges for this year?i cant get into it on the website and I need to change it and ring UCC by today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I did Arts - you get out of it what you put into it. If you spend the whole time drinking and barely scrape a pass, that won't be much but if you keep up with your lectures and take an interest, it's very informative and enjoyable and you should get good grades.

You usually have to pay for a master's but there are scholarships and grants and so on available too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

you mean for first year?
    if so, taken from http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/arts/art002.html

FIRST ARTS

Students must choose four subjects from the groups in Table 1 (below) with not more than one subject from any group.

TABLE 1

TIMETABLE GROUPS

GROUP

SUBJECTS

1 Computer Science1, History

2 Applied Mathematics2, European Studies3, Folklore, Greek and Roman Civilisation, Gaeilge/Irish, History of Art, Studies in Psychology4

3 Archaeology, German5, Latin6, Mathematics7, Mathematical Studies, Politics

4 French8, Sociology, Studies in Music9

5 Economics, English, Greek, An Léann Dúchais10

6(a)*
    Geography, Italian11

6(b)*
    Celtic Civilisation, Philosophy, Spanish12

disclaimer - that's a provisional calendar, and I know nothing about arts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

cheers buddy.

Advertisement