Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Problem???

Options
  • 13-09-2005 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

I am driving a '99 Polo which on the way to work on Monday morning seemed to die off.The car seems to have lost power or something.

The engine sounds very laboured and even whilst idling sounds as if it may cut out. Its kind of chugging or spluttering for want of a better word. Acceleration in 2nd gear is non existant and the engine makes a very laboured growling sound during acceleration.

Coolant and oil levels are fine. Any ideas to what my problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Fuel filter,HT leads,Throttle position sensor or Cat convertor blocked up.Does it happen after 9 or 10 miles when the engine is hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

A$$A$$IN wrote:
    I am driving a '99 Polo which on the way to work on Monday morning seemed to die off.The car seems to have lost power or something.

The engine sounds very laboured and even whilst idling sounds as if it may cut out. Its kind of chugging or spluttering for want of a better word. Acceleration in 2nd gear is non existant and the engine makes a very laboured growling sound during acceleration.

Coolant and oil levels are fine. Any ideas to what my problem is?
    #

Sounds like your not runnig on all cylinders... check the spark plugs and leads, have you driven through any big puddles lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

One possibility (though not very likely given your problem exists under acceleration) is the throttle body is sticking. I've seen this on 2 VWs where they are almost stalling at traffic lights and exhibit a very laboured sound at idle. The plate gets covered in gunk and the idle motor can't quite open the plate properly all the time. Cleaning the throttle body fixes that. It would be worth a look for an easy free fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

#

Sounds like your not runnig on all cylinders... check the spark plugs and leads, have you driven through any big puddles lately?

Thats my thoughts exactly. Though you don't have to have driven through a puddle to have those problems.

Advertisement