Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion

Options
  • 14-09-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

This is simply a suggestion: If the sex/sexuality forum had read access to the general boards populus, but only write access to the current people (subscribers/mods), similar to that of prison. It would most likely bring an extra flurry of subscribers.

It would also mean that I wouldn't have to continuously copy/paste debates from it to other people.

Is there an issue of it being "private" making it less liable for what is said, given its nature?
    If there is not then I don't see why it shouldn't have general read-only access. Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ApeXaviour wrote:
    This is simply a suggestion: If the sex/sexuality forum had read access to the general boards populus, but only write access to the current people (subscribers/mods), similar to that of prison. It would most likely bring an extra flurry of subscribers.

It would also mean that I wouldn't have to continuously copy/paste debates from it to other people.

Is there an issue of it being "private" making it less liable for what is said, given its nature?
    If there is not then I don't see why it shouldn't have general read-only access. Thoughts?
    Perhaps because most people want to read scandal, not be a part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Would you consider it scandal? I wouldn't.. well not the majority. I'd find it difficult simply reading that forum without posting, as I do when taking a gander in the prison forum sometimes.

If I had no access, I wouldn't know what I'm missing and don't think I'd have any impetus to subscribe.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ApeXaviour wrote:
    If I had no access, I wouldn't know what I'm missing and don't think I'd have any impetus to subscribe.

I think you underestimate the power of curiosity :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

ApeXaviour wrote:

It might bring extra subscribers, but then there'd be no point in making it subscriber only. We can already control post access with pre-moderation.

Making it private limits any potential hassle that might come our way regarding the content of the forum. Hassle of that nature is most undesirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

ApeXaviour wrote:

You do that? That's a bit sad, no offense or anything.

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    You do that? That's a bit sad, no offense or anything.
    None taken. But why do you think it sad?

Let me add some context: I was having a similar debate (about circumcision) on msn with a friend. They were bringing up the same points that were brought up in the thread. So I was getting a little tired of having to say the same things over and over, and just wanted to say: "here, read this thread, get up to speed and then get back to me". Except they couldn't soo.. I was left to copying and pasting. It was more for time saving than anything else.

Edit: Granted continually might have been an exaggeration, I've only had to do it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Wouldnt agree at all. Private things are said by many in that forum and the only reason that their said there is because they expect suscribers to be decent people. I for one wouldnt think it was a good idea at all and would want all my posts in it deleted if that happened!

Fair point, that hadn't occured to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

because they expect suscribers to be decent people.

Indeed, never in the history of the world has anyone with money ever not been classed as decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

ApeXaviour wrote:
    None taken. But why do you think it sad?

Let me add some context: I was having a similar debate (about circumcision) on msn with a friend. They were bringing up the same points that were brought up in the thread. So I was getting a little tired of having to say the same things over and over, and just wanted to say: "here, read this thread, get up to speed and then get back to me". Except they couldn't soo.. I was left to copying and pasting. It was more for time saving than anything else.

Edit: Granted continually might have been an exaggeration, I've only had to do it once.

Ah, ok. I got the impression you and your friends were obsessing over the tiniest details you could find about the sex lives of other boards users. o_O

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Indeed, never in the history of the world has anyone with money ever not been classed as decent.

AH agreed but thems are ususally too lazy to go to the of signing up to boards, getting a paypal account, and then viewing.
    And I'd say anyone who was subscribing after say 10posts would be screitinized my el admins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

If only I could hand someone a fiver & say 'There you go buddy', & have access for a month to find out what i'm missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Wouldnt agree at all. Private things are said by many in that forum and the only reason that their said there is because they expect suscribers to be decent people. I for one wouldnt think it was a good idea at all and would want all my posts in it deleted if that happened!
    I suggest you delete them.

I realised that some people were under the illusion that the forum offered some sort of real degree of privacy and appended a note to the charter saying "it is best to consider this forum to be as public as any other forum."

And really, we knew this from the get-go and this was one of the reasons we have mechanisms for a degree of anonymous posting (by PMing a mod). I just didn't realise that other people wouldn't realise how public things were (which was foolish of me, I've seen similar mistakes made before with results that were either hilarious or disasterous depending on circumstances).

I'd mainly like to see the forum readable by all because then some people might stop acting like it's the ****ing Boards equivalent of a sanctum santorum (when really, that's the Subscribers forum ;)) and we can have less hissy fits about it.

This will increase the risk of having dealing with Outraged in Ballydehob. I don't give a damn what Outraged in Ballydehob thinks, but DeV has decided he'd rather live without the headache and that's his perogrative.

well reading thru my posts thers nothng really but i will treat it slightly different from now on. Pity really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Well, consider the number of people that have access to it.

It's not a risqué chat with a handful of trusted friends. There's no way we could make it such either. (Though if you and a handful of trusted friends wanted to move your risqué chats to the web, and for some reason didn't mind the admins being able to eavesdrop on them, you could ask for a private forum I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've got access to that board, I'm a subscriber, I'm a mod, and I wouldn't trust me as far as I could throw me, so it's really not sensible to assume that everyone who reads that board is going to respect your privacy.

It's the interweb. There is no privacy.

Advertisement