Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep the yellow box for longer!

Options
  • 14-09-2005 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

When I run the mouse over one of the thread titles to see what the gist of the thread is about,the yellow box containing text dissappears before I'v finished reading it.I'm a perfectly competant reader but sometimes some are longer than others.

Maybe it would be possible to leave the yellow box floating there until you take the cursor away.Its a really handy though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

'tis nice and handy alright. I personally don't mind, since I go by the decision making process of, if it hasn't piqued my interest by the time it goes away, then I'm not going to bother.

However I give the idea the thumbs up, as long as it is a quick fix (if its even fixable, but then again, surely it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I agree - extend the duration by just a few more seconds or indefinitely (and yes, it is do-able.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It is indefinite... just don't move the mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

How the title attribute is rendered is a matter for your browser to decide.

grasshopa wrote:
    It is indefinite... just don't move the mouse
    Talliesin wrote:
    How the title attribute is rendered is a matter for your browser to decide.

In other words its indefinite in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. And all other browsers could do their own crazy thing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Baz_ wrote:
    In other words its indefinite in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. And all other browsers could do their own crazy thing with it.
    Basically yeh

There's no way of changing the code used to generate the topic previews, it's your browser that decides how long to show it for

I think the solution, if anybody could be arsed doing it, is instead of having a title property, have a mouseover javascript function which pops up a div at the position of the pointer, and disappears it on mouseout.

I think the key phrase here is "...if anybody could be arsed doing it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Baz_ wrote:
    Precisely. I volunteer Mr Not-too-busy-to-drag-up-oldish-posts :p
    edit: Alternatively,someone suggested that it can be modified client-side with some hacks.. looking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Baz_ wrote:
    And if people would appreciate the extra overhead on the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Talliesin wrote:
    And if people would appreciate the extra overhead on the pages.

I don't think there would be much more overhead? The summary text is already retrieved as the "title" value, so instead of populating the title text it could instead populate a JavaScript function...

i.e. instead of
    title="this is the summary text of the thread"
    you would have something like
    onmouseover="showSummary('this is the summary text of the thread')"

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    I don't think there would be much more overhead? The summary text is already retrieved as the "title" value, so instead of populating the title text it could instead populate a JavaScript function...

i.e. instead of
    title="this is the summary text of the thread"
    you would have something like
    onmouseover="showSummary('this is the summary text of the thread')"
    true, the overhead would be all client side, but I think some people have javascript turned off, so they wouldn't get any summary and would suffer, for our gain.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement