Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Pooling / Sharing Questions

• 14-09-2005 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I just read the sticky regarding Car Pooling / Sharing and a couple of questions sprang to mind. Please excuse me if they have been asked and answered before as the search option is off at the moment.

How do the insurance companies view this idea? I mean specifically the insured is driving and a passenger is giving him money to take him from A to B. Does this not make it a commercial transaction? Could it be seen as using an unlicenced taxi or hackney? In theory the money is a contribution towards petrol but in practice it's just cash and could be spent on wine, women and song.

How do the Revenue Comissioners view this "income"? I'm sure they view any money collected as reward for any action or service provided as taxable income.

I can only presume that anyone driving a company car would be precluded from car pooling / sharing by their terms of employment and would risk dismissal if found out. I doubt that the Company's insurance would be valid in this scenario.

I have included company cars in this as many company cars are simply a perk and not necessary for carrying out the job but spend all day in a company parking space.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

"There are more questions than answers" - Desmond Dekker and the Isrealites

God be with the days when someone would at least ridicule you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Hagar wrote:
    God be with the days when someone would at least ridicule you.....

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries :p

I have nothing to contribute to your original post, but at least you should feel a little better now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think they really care unless you are profiting from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

My experience of car sharing never involved cash. I'd drive one week. He'd drive the next. Isn't that was how most people do it.

Advertisement