Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions to Kilkenny

Options
  • 14-09-2005 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I am heading down to kilkenny next wkend and was just wondering what is the best way to get there (From Dublin)!
    I've looked up AA roadwatch route planner and it suggests to go the N7 and then the N9. I went to Waterford a few months and went the N9 and it was an awful road - is there any other route I could go?

Thank you in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Hey Chick
    I'm from kilkenny and travel up to Dublin a bit. I'm afraid the road you mentioned is your best option. Its a terrible road I know. The only difference to the road you took to Waterford is you don't turn of in Paulstown Kilkenny (10 miles outsied Carlow) it cant' be missed don't worry about it.
    If you don't know kilkenny I can give you advice on where to go if like.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

N7 -> M7 -> M9 -> N9 through carlow -> N10
    Or you could go N7 -> M7 -> M9 -> Turn off at the last exit for Athy and go via castlecomer

Leave at about 7.30 and it should only take about 1hr 20 to get down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The big advantage of going via Athy is you avoid the traffic bottleneck in Carlow (plus there's roadworks in Castledermot (about 10 miles from Carlow on the Kildare side) that are totally ****ing up traffic around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Cool thanks for those directions - i might go via athy i'll see.
    I'll be leaving dublin at lunch time so it'll probably be very busy no matter what way i go!

jesper - yeah cool where is good to go out?
    I heard the Golden Palace and Italian Connection are nice restaurants - what do u think?

Hey ya.
    You could go by Athy but you seem to be looking for the most straight forward way and that would just be the Waterford road (Turn of 10m after Carlow).
    Where are you staying in KK? Is it a hen night or just for a session?

• Advertisement

I'm staying in a B&B called the Laurels - must find out the directions to it now that I think of it!
    I'm just going with 3 girls for the craic - looking forward to it!
    What's good to do during the day as well as at night?

Pretty much everyone visiting Kilkenny goes to Langton's for a night out. Its not a bad place, good restaurant but the bar/nightclub gets very crowded (and expensive). With regards to things to do during the day.. hmm. Shopping, wander around and do touristy things like visit the castle, canice's cathedral + tower, and so on.

the Laurels is a nice place about 15min walk form the parade.
    From the parade walk up the hill on patirck st about 70 yards. Take the right turn and you should see a set of traffic lights about 100 yards away. walk stright through these lights for about 300 yards. the laurles b&b is about 20 yards before the entrance to hotel kilkenny and on the same side of the road as the Skelp Inn

Cool thanks lazygit - I'll be driving to the B&B are the directions the same for driving?
    Where is the parade btw? Is that in the city centre?

Thanks Stephen for the advice also!

Are ye coming for the whole weekend?
    As mentioned Langtons is prob the best club. I'm not a big fan but anyone visiting seems to like it. There is a lot of late bars that are great crack and open until 2. They'll have a good Band aswell.
    Yeah the Italian Connection is good spot but a bit away from where you'll be going out. My favourite Chinese is the Ming court which is close to Langtons and on John st. as well.
    Have a look at http://entertainment.ie/events/display.asp?cat=music
    to see whats on. I'd suggest Matt the Millers Friday night until late and Saturday Lannigans and then into Langtons.
    Sould be great weekend, even better if ye are all single?

• Advertisement

Humm... depending on what way you go..

Coming from carlow..
    Just as you arrive in the City you come to the ring road. Take the first exit. I think its signposted for Loughboy Industral Park. continue on the ring road stright through every roundabout until you come to the callan road roundabout (its the last roundabout on the ringroad) and take the last exit, you should see a petrol station on your right and a Izuzu (Truck/Car/Van sales center on your left.) continue past to another roundabout and go stright through it. You will see the skelp inn on your left and hotel kilkenny on your right. continue stright on and you will start going up a small hill.. the b&b is on your left if you come to another petorl station your gone too far...

From Athy..
    Continue on the road stright into city center. you should go through loads of traffic lights.. keep going until you drive over the river. this is johns bridge and you should be able to see the castle on your left up on a hill.. keep going to the next lights, these are the lights on the parade. go stright through and your on patrick street from there follwo the directions in my post at 11:16 as the walking directions are the same as driving...

hope you can follow them... if you get lost ask for directions to hotel kilkenny as the b&b is almost next to the hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

lazygit wrote:
    Humm... depending on what way you go..

Coming from carlow..
    Just as you arrive in the City you come to the ring road. Take the first exit. I think its signposted for Loughboy Industral Park. continue on the ring road stright through every roundabout until you come to the callan road roundabout (its the last roundabout on the ringroad) and take the last exit, you should see a petrol station on your right and a Izuzu (Truck/Car/Van sales center on your left.) continue past to another roundabout and go stright through it. You will see the skelp inn on your left and hotel kilkenny on your right. continue stright on and you will start going up a small hill.. the b&b is on your left if you come to another petorl station your gone too far...

From Athy..
    Continue on the road stright into city center. you should go through loads of traffic lights.. keep going until you drive over the river. this is johns bridge and you should be able to see the castle on your left up on a hill.. keep going to the next lights, these are the lights on the parade. go stright through and your on patrick street from there follwo the directions in my post at 11:16 as the walking directions are the same as driving...

hope you can follow them... if you get lost ask for directions to hotel kilkenny as the b&b is almost next to the hotel

City?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

time for a burning me thinks

oops, meant a banning

City?? :eek:

Ooh, original. Were you up all night thinking of that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Leave the Marble City alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

:D:D
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Leave the Marble City alone.

Marble City. You must have lost your marbles to even consider it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Stephen wrote:
    Ooh, original. Were you up all night thinking of that one?

I wouldn't say so. But he's right - still doesn't change the fact!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not this again!

Just leave it alone!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Check out another city, Ely Cambridgeshire. Even smaller than Kilkenny City and has a bigger Cathedral. ;)

Just thought I'd share that with you. :D

Advertisement