Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies @ Dundrum

Options
  • 14-09-2005 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when this opens? It's the cinema in the Dundrum Shopping Centre. Initially it was supposed to be August, and now I hear September.
    Google is no use, and I can't search on boards for any info either.
    Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I always heard it was September.
    I know Harvery Nichs is opening on the 23rd.
    They're recently open the Virgin Megastore too... (its damn big!).
    Hopefully by the month end it'll be up and running.
    Should be sweet... It'll be closer to me than my local Xtravision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jtb2000

Movies@Dundrum is on track to open first or second week of october, it looking great, saw plans last week, its will be joined by movies@salthill/galway and also movies@swords by end of next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I may have misheard when my friend was telling me (he is to work there) but he said it was going to open on the 22nd of sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

i've heard ads for it on both spin 1038 and fm104 over the last few days, both saying opening in september 2005, but not giving an actual date or website. does anyone have any more details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Yoggan

The big opening date is all go for 11a.m. the 30th of September.This place looks amazing!!
    Looking forward to seeing ya'll there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davedm

We will have it open for Friday 30th

See you all there

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smarties

i hear if you pay an extra few euro for your ticket you get a vip ticket with bigger seats and way more comfortable, does any1 kno if thats true? sure the novelty would wear off but it cud be fun. as long as it didnt turn into something sleazy at the back of the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 davidtaylor

Yeah, i asked at the info desk in the shopping centre and it's to open tomorrow. they wern't sure what time but there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

smarties wrote:
    as long as it didnt turn into something sleazy at the back of the cinema.

perfect for 15 yr olds first dates! hate seeing those people in the cinema.
    Had the pleasure of sitting beside a very loved up couple in a packed ugc a while back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

smarties wrote:
    i hear if you pay an extra few euro for your ticket you get a vip ticket with bigger seats and way more comfortable, does any1 kno if thats true? sure the novelty would wear off but it cud be fun. as long as it didnt turn into something sleazy at the back of the cinema.

Yeah it's true, €18 per VIP seat :rolleyes:
    I'll give it a go though, if they're more comfortable than the seats in Ster Century I'll be impressed.

Blondie86Star: I know what you mean!It's horrible.However you can expect it if you're up the back of the cinema, and you're probably there for a similar reason ;) (Though a less extreme reason, some things people get up to up the back of the cinema are disgraceful!Have they NO shame!?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

is there a website yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dundrum is half-owned by the same family that own the Ormonde in Stillorgan (they had ads up in Stillorgan recruiting staff for Dundrum on my last visit there). Let's hope they have the 'choose your actual seat online' facility that used to be available on the Ormonde's website (though this doesn't seem to have been working for months now)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

www.moviesatdundrum.com booking online isnt available yeat.

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah it's true, €18 per VIP seat :rolleyes:
    I'll give it a go though, if they're more comfortable than the seats in Ster Century I'll be impressed.

Blondie86Star: I know what you mean!It's horrible.However you can expect it if you're up the back of the cinema, and you're probably there for a similar reason ;) (Though a less extreme reason, some things people get up to up the back of the cinema are disgraceful!Have they NO shame!?)

Well we all had our first dates when we were 15 in the cinema, but the kids of today!
    Great new cinema close by, followed by shoppin after!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

logistic wrote:
    www.moviesatdundrum.com booking online isnt available yeat.
    Say that took them all of about 5 minuets to come up with that snazzy site.

Would put me off even going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Winters wrote:
    Say that took them all of about 5 minuets to come up with that snazzy site.

Would put me off even going there.
    Agreed!!
    I saw this advertised on the weekend papers as www.movies@dundrum.com however its 'at' and not '@' :p
    Site itself is awful.. I dont think the one for the Ormonde is that good either.

As for the VIP seats, I guess they've realised the niche that exists for those who dont want to sit among the common ruffians...however, I'd want a nice comfy seat no matter how much I paid. The normal (or "cheap seats") still better be of a decent comfortability otherwise I'm not going near the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Anyone been yet? Know how much the tickets cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yea, i'd be very interested to know, although it sounds like its going to be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Was there tonight and the price was €7.90 each

First off the reception area is nice with a well stocked food area including a Ben & Jerry’s stand :D. I was sort of running late for my film so had no time to take in the various prices etc.

There were only 2 ticket sellers working and were quite slow :(. I noted the online booking dispensers have not been installed yet (empty holes in the wall) so that may be a while off yet.

There are 3 screens on the ground floor with the rest of the screens in the lower floors.

Staff looked as lost as the customers I have to add.

Seats were excellent I mean better than the UGC/Cineworld, the place itself outside the screens is ok however I like the UGC/Cineworld better, but the screen rooms themselves are that bit nicer than the UGC/Cineworld ones.

Projector was not so good needs to be broken in I’m hoping there were like 4-8 lines throughout the movie + a few hairs/dust.

As far as the sound goes I didn’t notice it so I guess it was neither spectacular nor bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

VIP seats are €15, i think. The seats are leather :D Normal seats are really really comfy, though id say in a few months they wont seem so great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

This all sounds good but the important question is do they have buttered popcorn?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

nialldinho wrote:
    This all sounds good but the important question is do they have buttered popcorn?!!!

i second this query!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Nope, unfortunately....:(

What?! :eek:
    Are ya sure?

I really should go to the cinema, havent been in ages, last movie I saw was s***

Lol I thought I'd of went down by now (it's only like a 15 minute walk from me), maybe during the week.
    Like yourself it's been a while since I've seen anything.

Damn it!

You'd think they'd lay it on for the old VIP tickets or something! Especially if they're leather seats they can just wipe clean!

I've heard UCI is the last refuge of the buttered popcorn but I just can't bring myself to go to any of them based on what a kip the Tallaght one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'll still stick with UGC (*hugz unlimited card*)

From what I know, apparently with cineworld now running UGC we may be treated to butter on the popcorn. I heard that from someone who works at UGC *nods*

Winters wrote:
    I'll still stick with UGC (*hugz unlimited card*)

From what I know, apparently with cineworld now running UGC we may be treated to butter on the popcorn. I heard that from someone who works at UGC *nods*

Interesting! I'll have to keep an eye on that. UGC became my cinema of choice when Ster Century stopped doing buttered popcorn! Unfortunately, UGC quickly followed suit but I stuck with them nonetheless.

• Advertisement

How come they stopped doing buttered popcorn?

Just smuggle your own butter into the cinema and melt it onto your popcorn with a lighter :p

Advertisement