Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies @ Dundrum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I've heard things like "it's not very good for you" and "it can make an awful mess of your clothes". Most likely it made awful messes on the seats and they couldn't be arsed cleaning it up anymore.

Another option would be to melt the butter at home and put it in a thermos and then pour it on the popcorn once you're inside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

nialldinho wrote:
    I've heard things like "it's not very good for you" and "it can make an awful mess of your clothes". Most likely it made awful messes on the seats and they couldn't be arsed cleaning it up anymore.

Another option would be to melt the butter at home and put it in a thermos and then pour it on the popcorn once you're inside!

Yeah but if enough people start melting butter onto popcorn with lighters whilst in the cinema, eventually they might get the message that they'd be better off selling it with the option of butter :p

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah but if enough people start melting butter onto popcorn with lighters whilst in the cinema, eventually they might get the message that they'd be better off selling it with the option of butter :p

This is a good theory but it would only further the "messy" debate as we would doubtless get it all over our clothes as well as the seats, and also the "bad for you" debate as we might burn our fingers with the lighter/hot butter combination. And we'd get fat.

But you could be right. This might make them realise how serious we are about our butter! Or it could lead to a national ban on butter as a health and safety concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

Yeh I'll prob pop down durin the week, so handy now I don't have to go inton town!

But no buttered popcorn....wtf!
    Maybe rb_ie can set up a stall outside, butter being melted over a fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

nialldinho wrote:
    Damn it!

You'd think they'd lay it on for the old VIP tickets or something! Especially if they're leather seats they can just wipe clean!

I've heard UCI is the last refuge of the buttered popcorn but I just can't bring myself to go to any of them based on what a kip the Tallaght one is.

blanchardstown isn't too bad, it's where i go to get my butter fix.

as an ex-employee of ster century, i can confirm that the reason they stopped with the butter is that
    a) it was costing them too much, because they weren't charging for it, and
    b) it was destroying the seats and carpets, and they were sick of having to get them cleaned.

that would be fantastic if cineworld brought back in the delicious butter!

• Advertisement

chickenpoo wrote:
    a) it was costing them too much, because they weren't charging for it

those cheap motherfathers! surely they overcharge enough for everything as it is to be able to cover the cost of a little butter...

Blondie86star: I'm afraid that idea wouldn't work tbh.

Sure enough getting the supplies(solid butter) would be quite cheap BUT to cover my labour costs alone (me as an employee and manager. It would probably be around €150,000).
    So say I sell 100 units a day,for 364 days of the year, thats a total of 36400 units which would mean that to break even I'd have to charge around €4.20 to put a bit of butter on peoples popcorn and thats to cover labour costs alone!
    So the cost of supplies, lets say round the price off to €5.
    Would YOU pay an extra €5 for a bit of melted butter on your popcorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dimensions

Hello everyone.

Hey Dimensions, welcome to Boards.
    If you haven't already, make sure you read The Newbies FAQ and if theres a charter in the forums you're going to post in, make sure you read its charter(it's for your own good). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cassman50

Have you all gone insane???

Its a poxy cinema

A place where you go to watch movies not a bloody dairy.

Get a grip on reality Dundrum rocks as a cinema,if you like movies go there if u like butter then go find a cow you fat lard asses.

As for the reviews I been reading,

A)ITS A BRAND NEW CINEMA WITH NEW STAFF AND NEW SYSTEMS.
    B)IT HAD A DEADLINE DATE TO OPEN AND A FEW GLITCHES ARE TO BE EXPECTED IN ANY NEW VENTURE.
    C)THE PRICES OF SEATS AND FOOD ARE AS GOOD AND BETTER THAN STER AND UCI.
    D)THE VIP AREA HAS EXTRA LEGROOM HUGE LEATHER RECLINING SEATS AND LOADS OF ARM ROOM.
    E)THE ATMS ARE UP AND RUNNING NOW.

SO IN A MATTER OF A FEW DAYS MOST OF THE GLITCHES HAVE BEEN RECTIFIED SO SHUT UP MOANING AND GO SEE FOR YOURSELVES.

BTW.
    AS FOR THE COMMENT ABOUT THEM ONLY HAVING 2 TICKET TILLS IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO READ THE SIGNAGE YOU WOULD SEE THAT YOU CAN BUY TICKETS AT ALL TILLS IN THE BUILDING INCLUDING THE SWEET COUNTERS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I think their IT dept is run by the lobby staff on their breaks.... Did anyone else get the mail today where they screwed up all the images with spaces in the name?

cassman50 wrote:
    Have you all gone insane???

Its a poxy cinema

A place where you go to watch movies not a bloody dairy.

Get a grip on reality Dundrum rocks as a cinema,if you like movies go there if u like butter then go find a cow you fat lard asses.

As for the reviews I been reading,

A)ITS A BRAND NEW CINEMA WITH NEW STAFF AND NEW SYSTEMS.
    B)IT HAD A DEADLINE DATE TO OPEN AND A FEW GLITCHES ARE TO BE EXPECTED IN ANY NEW VENTURE.
    C)THE PRICES OF SEATS AND FOOD ARE AS GOOD AND BETTER THAN STER AND UCI.
    D)THE VIP AREA HAS EXTRA LEGROOM HUGE LEATHER RECLINING SEATS AND LOADS OF ARM ROOM.
    E)THE ATMS ARE UP AND RUNNING NOW.

SO IN A MATTER OF A FEW DAYS MOST OF THE GLITCHES HAVE BEEN RECTIFIED SO SHUT UP MOANING AND GO SEE FOR YOURSELVES.

BTW.
    AS FOR THE COMMENT ABOUT THEM ONLY HAVING 2 TICKET TILLS IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO READ THE SIGNAGE YOU WOULD SEE THAT YOU CAN BUY TICKETS AT ALL TILLS IN THE BUILDING INCLUDING THE SWEET COUNTERS.

Great first post :rolleyes:
    Hold on, first you say
    cassman50 wrote:
    Its a poxy cinema
    And then you go on to say
    cassman50 wrote:
    Dundrum rocks as a cinema

Can it be poxy AND rock?I don't think so but maybe in your head it's logical.

Oh, I think you've caps lock on btw, may want to sort that out.

If you have not heard the term poxy used in that referance then let me enlighten you.
    What I was saying was
    Its a cinema and nothing else.Get me now duhhhhhhh.

MY CAPS ARE ON BECAUSE I AM SHOUTING.

Or do you know nothing about anything or everything about bugger all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

someone works there...

Well then stop shouting, you'll get nowhere with it.

someone works there...
    Lol was thinking that myself :D

ok no shouting

Now read what I had to say or do you just come here to talk crap and agree with the peeps that obviously have no clue what they are bitching about.

cassman50 wrote:
    peeps that obviously have no clue what they are bitching about.

You? :p

Just thought to myself why do i care.
    You are the ones missing out and no I do not work there but I know a girl that does and for you all to be judging on something you know nothing about is incredibly stupid.

Have you even visited the place or do you prefer to just judge from the comfort of your butter covered bedroom.

I've been down to it.
    Popcorn just isn't the same without melted butter.

• Advertisement

never said it was but get over it.
    I will ask around and see if they will build a BUTTER@DUNDRUM for all you people that obviously have no interest in movies.

just for the record btw I see a comment furthur back about Ster just not wanting to bother cleaning up butter.

Wow...................

Pour a few cups of butter in your room then wipe it down and tell me how your room smells after a few days.

Butter seeps in and does not always get noticed on seats or carpets.Oh but hang on all you good people out there are the first to let staff know when you make a mess.nottttttttttttttttttttttt

If you want a stinky,sticky,manky cinema go find a butter supplying cinema if you want a clean stink free one then you know where to go.

No respect for staff or premises thats your problem.They are not there to slave over you and the sooner you learn a bit of respect and grow up the better.

cassman50 wrote:
    never said it was but get over it.
    I will ask around and see if they will build a BUTTER@DUNDRUM for all you people that obviously have no interest in movies.
    Oh obviously, we just go to get butter on popcorn cause we're not able to do it at home :rolleyes:
    cassman50 wrote:
    No respect for staff or premises thats your problem.They are not there to slave over you and the sooner you learn a bit of respect and grow up the better.

Wanting butter on popcorn = having no respect for the staff or premises....WHAT?!You're delusional!
    Oh yeah that's the only reason we want butter on the popcorn, to make a mess of the place...riiight :rolleyes:
    After reading this I really wish you were working there, then I could go down and mash a full bag of soft maltesers into the carpet for you to clean up.
    Might shut you up over the butter :p

Just proves to me that you obviously are an imature little prick with no sense or consideration for anyone as I said.
    Yes butter and an attitude like yours does = lack of respect.
    You are such an idiot you dont even realise that by saying what you did you just proved to the whole forum what a complete childish twat you are.

Thank you for saving me the bother

Ok you seem to have absolutely no sense of humour,not only that but you're making yourself out to be some angry little idiot so I'll end this now.

Popcorn tastes better with melted butter on it, that's why people were talking about in this thread, it's not because we want to go and make a mess of the cinema with it.
    Somehow I don't think anyones attitude towards them having no butter was "oh sh1t, they've no butter, now I can't go make a mess of the place".
    I've never left a mess behind me in a cinema and don't intend to either.
    But I also don't feel the need to explain myself to you so this is ending here, before you make yourself look even worse.

Sad,angry little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol, butter@dundrum.

Anyhow, still haven't been to it yet. Does it beat the UGC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yes and no i could expand but i dont want to right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Do they do student rates? How many screens are there?
    I'm so lazy, I could just walk down and find out but meh.

Was there on Friday for History of Violence (great film, by the way).

Still not impressed by the lack of butter! I found their popcorn to be too salty.

I didn't see any VIP seats. Are they only in the main screen or something?

The queues weren't too bad and moved fairly quickly so that was good. Also being able to get tickets at any counter was a good idea. There's also a food counter downstairs so if you're going to one of the lower screens just get your grub there as there was no queue.

The screen was big but the film didn't fill it. Black bars down each side.

There were 6 or 7 ads and then only 1 trailer. I was not impressed at all by that.

The sound during the ads was bad but I didn't notice it once the film started. It was as if there was only one big speaker at the front and they had it up full volume!

Thankfully, the staff actually take the time to show you to your seats (rather than say "take the second steps halfway up") so you're not going to get stuck with some idiot sitting in yours and having them put you somewhere else (and then having the person who should be sitting in your new one having a fit about it all).

The seats were nice enough. The backs seemed slighty too high on them though so you may miss the bottom of the screen if you had someone tall in front of you. They did have glow in the dark numbering on them which is a good idea. Other than that they were comfortable but feel like they might not last very long. That was an overall impression I got from the place actually; that things were a bit cheapy - the website is shockingly crud, the tickets were just a receipt, the promotional material in the cinema itself and in the shopping centre are awful and there has been little or no info available about the facilities (I only heard about the VIP seats here). Perhaps they spent all their money building the place and now have nothing left for marketing it.

Also, despite it being an 18s film, there were still a few younger members of the audience who felt it was appropriate to make "funny" comments in their little Dublin knacker accents at serious moments in the film.

I know it's very early to draw conclusions so I'll give it a few more gos. It's definitely more convenient than Vue or Cineworld anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

whats wrong with the site? all you wanna know is what movies are on and at what times

• Advertisement

I just find it very poor. It looks cheap and nasty.

Try clicking Cinema Info and look at what wonderful insights it gives you.

Advertisement