Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies @ Dundrum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

nialldinho wrote:
    Try clicking Cinema Info and look at what wonderful insights it gives you.

Lol very true - "Redefining Cinema", WOW so...informing!

Other than that, yeah the site looks pretty cheap and tacky, as if they gave it to school kids as a project or something.Maybe they'll improve it now that it's open and they're not trying to reach a deadline, who knows.
    What you said about the screen being big but the film not using the whoe of it is a pity too.
    Saying that though, the rent on the place aswell as other costs (labour, stock etc.) are probably their first concern (i.e bringing in enough sales to cover those costs alone) so maybe the website, ticket design etc are taking the back seat for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Yeah, once the cash starts rolling in, which it definitely will, I'm sure they'll address these kind of things.

I don't mean to be too negative about it as it is only new and will obviously have teething problems. It's a very handy location for me and I hope it becomes my preferred cinema. But if it can't match other similar cinemas for quality and clientele it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Went there tonight.. WHAT A RIP OFF 9.50 !
    and the decor is really tacky
    the sound was aweful and the vision quality wasn't great either

Not going again!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

9.50?!

I got student rate of 7.90 but 9.50 is a bit steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dinh_Gunslinger

Solair wrote:
    Went there tonight.. WHAT A RIP OFF 9.50 !
    and the decor is really tacky
    the sound was aweful and the vision quality wasn't great either

Not going again!

To be honest, I don't think those prices are a rip off as they don't differ very much from any of the inner city cinemas but if you check all the food prices you'll notice the are actually cheaper than pretty much all of the cinemas around :D

Also, I think that the decor is actually really cool! It's about time a new multiplex cinema actually had the balls to use a bit of creativity and give the place some life and atmosphere. You actually feel like you're in a cinema as you walk around the place and see all the classic images painted on the walls. It's a damn site better than UCI, UGC or STER where the whole place looks so bland/uninspired or makes you feel like you're in a restaraunt when you have to Q for like 15 mins just to get served some popcorn.

Lastly, I don't think you should write off the sound and vision just yet...it's a BRAND NEW CINEMA! Things are going to take time to settle in and routines need to be set. Projection isn't as easy as you'd think, I've worked in it before and it takes a lot of work to keep those films running smoothly as there are a lot of factors involved...I'm not going to bore you with the details so just take my word for it.

Anyway my whole point is...just have patience - Don't write something off because you were there for a couple of hours during the opening week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

€9.5 is WAY too much for a feckin movie. I mean i can live with €8.50 but they can **** off woth €9.50 id rather pay the €3 for the luas to town than pay €9.50

I was there and it wwas €7.90 can someone confirm if it is €9.50 OR €7.90

Just checked my receipt/ticket and it was €7.90 for an Adult on 02/10/2005 @ 17:20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cassman50

K

Heres the deal..........
    so what if the website is a bit dodgy it does what it says on the tin.It tells you whats on and when.
    End of story.
    Man it niggles my nads all the bitchin here about pointless things.
    The cinema is no dearer for tickets than others and the food is way cheaper.
    The seats are sweet and apart from a few teething problems which happen everywhere.(remember what happened with the Titanic :)

This ship WILL sail a long time and if ya actually give it a bit of time to work I reckon it will kick ass.
    Lets see any of you guys reinvent,design,build,stock and train for a new multi million euro venture and get it right straight away.I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Dont get me wrong the place is nice but @ €9.50 meh ill go to the pub for a few with me mates while it downloads :p

From a business point of view the website is awful. Gives the wrong impression of the place altogether. Looks cheap and nasty unlike the cinema and the look of a site in cases like this is more important than the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just getting back to the buttered popcorn issue. In the case of Ster Century unfortunately they had no other choice but to stop serving it. Yes it was ruining the carpets etc. as already mentioned but the mess it was leaving under the service counters and in the kitchen area was out of control, despite regular cleaning and endless investigation into the situation. The main problem with this is the residue left on the floors is heaven for pests like mice and a pest problem is the last thing any cinema wants.

Maybe a solution would be to have a small mobile buttered popcorn stand moving from screen to screen as films start or something like that. It could then be managed more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

the site wont even load for me. Can someone tell me where the cinema acyually is?

And is it actally good? I mean €9.50 is a bit steap. But someone mentioned that the food was cheaper than most other cinemas, is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dinh_Gunslinger

And is it actally good? I mean €9.50 is a bit steap. But someone mentioned that the food was cheaper than most other cinemas, is that true?

I think it's worth the ticket price because the food is actually way cheaper than most other cinemas, especially UCI.

About the butter popcorn thing - I think it is a shame that they don't do it but I can understand why due to the huge expense and hygiene problems. Even though I like the idea of the butter trolley, it would still incure an aweful lot of extra cost given the extra staff you would need to get this to work. Also, you couldn't garauntee that someone would get butter on their popcorn before they'd actually eaten half of it because of the amount of people who would need to be served. Good idea for keeping the cleaning to a minumum though.

rolandeschain.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Found it anyways. Nice place.
    Seats are nice and the screens and seats are well laid out. I liked the fact that although I am 6'1" there was not fear of me getting in the way of the person in front and the same for in front of me. I love the layout of the seats.
    Sound seems very good. and there was loads of staff on hand. Was pretty clean and about the cost of food, well we went for burgers before so I don’t know.

Pity about the curtains, they never opened them fully when the main show came on so the edges of the screen was being projected onto the curtains. But I liked it.

I would go back, bit steep but then cinemas are all getting like that. About time a decent cinema in the Southside has appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Are you still charged for parking or do you just validate your parking ticket like in other cinemas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

€8 for a student ticket is a good 2e more than in UGC in town or the IMC in dun laoghaire and a good 5e more than in the Ormonde in stillorgan. Cant say I'm too impressed with this place after being there once and the prices/shoddy website/obvious registering of employees to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Blut wrote:
    obvious registering of employees to post here.
    Interesting...
    (goes back and checks post counts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

Its close but the voices in my head are still complaining about what a rip off it is. Anyone know if the rumours true that they're opening a luxury screen in the same place where tickets cost €20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Yoggan

I Love the way when you look at these boards, its just full of people with the wrong information.....
    So ill set it straight.... THERE IS NO €9.50 PRICE, THERE NEVER HAS BEEN ONE!!
    I've been there twice and I was charged different rates, with €9.30 being the steepest and €7.90. However being a local in the Lucan area I realise that this (€9.30 price) is the exact same as STER (We love scum bags) Century, and they dont even offer a cheaper price. Id rather drive the distance to be honest, this place is clean comfortable and not priced badly either. All this and the staff seem friendly. Something a few of the Dublin cinemas could learn from. Take a visit, its worth it

Yoggan wrote:
    I Love the way when you look at these boards, its just full of people with the wrong information.....
    So ill set it straight.... THERE IS NO €9.50 PRICE, THERE NEVER HAS BEEN ONE!!
    I've been there twice and I was charged different rates, with €9.30 being the steepest and €7.90. However being a local in the Lucan area I realise that this (€9.30 price) is the exact same as STER (We love scum bags) Century, and they dont even offer a cheaper price. Id rather drive the distance to be honest, this place is clean comfortable and not priced badly either. All this and the staff seem friendly. Something a few of the Dublin cinemas could learn from. Take a visit, its worth it........i swear, i dont work there ;);)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cassman50

What a clever comeback,even if he did work there so what if he got the facts right it's more than most in here did.

If you are gonna slag a place off at least bother to do the research first.......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Would have to agree that the sound is woeful :(
    Can't complain about the rest of it though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Blut wrote:
    €8 for a student ticket is a good 5e more than in the Ormonde in stillorgan.

Student prices in Stillorgan range from €5.50 to €7. So at the most its €2.50
    more expensive. But at least u don't have to sit with your knees tucked up under your chin in Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Yep but Ive yet to meet a person who doesnt have about 50 2for1 ticket offers for the ormonde so its more like 2.75 to 3.50 for a ticket, ie a good fiver difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Been in the place 2 times; once the day after it opened, another a week after it opened..

IMO its a shambles.. Really poorly laid out area for food and I can't seem to find any ice for the drinks. The entry price is shambolic but the food is resonably priced I suppose.

First film I seen was Revolver, regardless of how bad the film was, the experience was not good. Then I seen Lord of War, and it was even worse.

General problems over those 2 visits:
    - Revolver was shown in 9:16 with the picture streched in some weird way. When they finally corrected, the image was not on the screen properly.
    - The sound was appalling with the volume being far far too low for both films.
    - During Lord of War, some workmen were drilling somewhere for about 20 mins and totally drowning out the very low sound of the film.
    - The image was about a foot too low during Lord of War too..

In general, Ster Century and the UGC are far better cinemas. Dundrum may have more pleasent customers but the movie experience sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

i like it!! it beats the square tallagh by FAR!!! its in a cool area too. just by the fountain its really cool around easy to get to aswell 75 bus all the way! stop moanin, its a local cinema, not in a kip!! what else can u ask for?? the seats are so comfy aswell, stop whinging!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Well, I mean, Tallaght......

big syke wrote:
    i like it!! it beats the square tallagh by FAR!!!
    Of course it does, it is the square after all !!!!!!!!!!
    big skye wrote:
    its in a cool area too. just by the fountain its really cool around easy to get to aswell 75 bus all the way!
    What?!!!!!!!!
    big skye wrote:
    stop moanin, its a local cinema, not in a kip!! what else can u ask for?? the seats are so comfy aswell, stop whinging!!!!!!
    No!!!!111eleventy

ffs....

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

sorry dude that was my brother sneaking into my account and posting stupid things when i was out sorry for his stupid comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Yoggan

god, dont you people discuss regular stuff. This is alot of posts for a cinema isnt it. Visit it! If ya dont like it, dont go back! Its simple. As ive said before, I like the place, plus its got the harry potter premier, so it must be doin somethin right.

Erm, the topic is "Movies@Dundrum", the discussion that follows therefore is about the cinema.
    If you want to talk about "regular stuff" try IRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cassman69

They got the gala premiere of Harry Potter yesterday and thats not easy to get.All the celebs etc. loved it as per reviews on the radio.
    The facts speak for themselves

Advertisement