Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch of a problem...

• 14-09-2005 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with my connection, it stops working completely after 5 mins of starting up. This only happens on one of the computers connected to the DSL modem.

I remember this happened before and I thought it was a very strange once off problem, and ended up just reinstalling windows.

After about 5 minutes I can't access anything, even the router homepage. The connection still works perfectly on the other computers on the network.

I tried uninstalling the NIC drivers and updating them (Broadcom 440x on a Dell dimension 2400). Uninstalled all the network protocols and put back Client for Microsoft Networks, File Sharing and TCP/IP. Still no luck. Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

grasshopa wrote:
    I have a problem with my connection, it stops working completely after 5 mins of starting up. This only happens on one of the computers connected to the DSL modem.

I remember this happened before and I thought it was a very strange once off problem, and ended up just reinstalling windows.

After about 5 minutes I can't access anything, even the router homepage. The connection still works perfectly on the other computers on the network.

I tried uninstalling the NIC drivers and updating them (Broadcom 440x on a Dell dimension 2400). Uninstalled all the network protocols and put back Client for Microsoft Networks, File Sharing and TCP/IP. Still no luck. Any help?

Could it be the port on the router/ switch/ hub? If you change the port that that computer is plugged into, do you still get the same problem on that machine?
    Doesn't help answer the question, but might eliminate the other end of the connection as a problem.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

If you can release and renew your IP address by typing the following commands at a DOS prompt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

If this re-establishes the connection then you possibly have an issue with the DNS Client on Windows.

I would disable the DNS Client under Administrative Tools/Services in Windows 2000 or XP.

(Had this problem myself, although it was only 1 PC connected to the router.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

-check the following

-Dhcp lease time isnt 5 min (2 days is a good value if u dont worry about security)

-DSL filters are in place

-lines in house are ok

- Sky box isnt plugged in anywhere.

Thats just some of the problems it could be

I did meet an eircom router with a default primary dns that was invaild cant see how this would cause disconnects.

As far as i know /release and /renew are for DHCP Leases not DNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

DHCP lease time is 1 hour. I also have no clue how to change that.

ipconfig /release and renew doesn't change anything. 'Repair connection' in Network Connection settings does nothing.

Switched the port in the router. Nothing. I'm confident that it's the computer. My sister installed Kazaa the last day and I uninstalled it. I know how notorious this is for ****ing things up. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Any more ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gforces

grasshopa wrote:
    DHCP lease time is 1 hour. I also have no clue how to change that.

ipconfig /release and renew doesn't change anything. 'Repair connection' in Network Connection settings does nothing.

Switched the port in the router. Nothing. I'm confident that it's the computer. My sister installed Kazaa the last day and I uninstalled it. I know how notorious this is for ****ing things up. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Any more ideas?

I wouldn't go near the DHCP lease time as it's highly unlikely that has anything to do with it. Even if it was set to 5 mins, all that means is that the router will check if it's still in use every five minutes and renew it if it is.
    Have you tried different cables? It could also be that the network card is on the blink.

• Advertisement

Yup checked the cable. I'm fairly sure it's something windows related because it's always 5 mins after startup and works for another 5 mins after reboot.

I'm looking towards this: http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/03/07/3687.aspx

On closer inspection it actually appears that it's only HTTP that stops working. I can still telnet to port 23 of my broadband router but port 80 suddenly becomes blocked... puzzling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

can you try ping 192.168.1.1 -t
    this will ping your router continually and see when/if it fails. If you can telnet on port 23 then it could be a local firewall issue on the client or, most likely, nasty spyware/browser hijacker etc. Have you tried running a spyware tool? have u tried to telnet on port 80? then press enter. You should see a header dump to the telnet client. this might let you know if http is still open and if so it may pointer at the browser etc.

It pings the router first time no problem, and telnets to it on port 23. I can ping a host on the internet (eg ping joecartoon.com) no problem but telnetting to port 80 won't connect.

And yes I know the difference between the server saying nothing and the connection not establishing :) Help appreciated though. Time for an antivirus/spyware scan again. Also just uninstalled SP2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

This is a long shot but I would check the PC's host file to make sure some dodgy app hasn't changed some common addresses and made them point to the localhost. Another thing to try might be to download firefox or another browser and see if that has the same prob. All check the NIC to make sure that IP filtering has not been enabled (this is really unlikely!!)
    You can ping everything but you can't browse to them....ummm. What happens if you open dos and type ftp ftp.symantec.com ? If this connects that would rule out any DNS problems and would point more towards the browser.
    Hope some of this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

it sounds like a winsock problem. try this http://tinyurl.com/2dk6b

Already tried the Winsock solution...

I opened up my packet analyser once the connection went. Noticed that when I tried to contact google.com, the only thing that was sent was a source packet with the IP address of google.com, and a destination address that was registered to Zone Labs (i.e. Zonealarm firewall). Is it possible they're spying on us? Once I opened up Zonealarm again the connection worked perfectly...

I think Zonealarm has fudged my TCP/IP stack. AFAIK It's a legal copy of Zonealarm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

the latest version of zonealarm has some bugs. it pooched ie on my machine so i could'nt update windows. i went back to the older version and all ok. you could also try kerio. http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Advertisement