Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do car engines shake?

Options
  • 14-09-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have noticed lately that the engine is shaking a fair abit these days like an old tractor.

When i bought it, it never moved and i was wondering if the engine mounts need to be replaced or tighten.

Any ideas anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Little more detail would be great, IE engine, car, year

To answer your question, engines *do* shake, but not to the extent where the engine is jumping out of the bay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sorry lad

1999 Opel Astra 1.4 16V ecotec 73k.

Its shaking like a washing machine on a spin cycle, but not hopping out of the bay. When i bought it a year with 54k it was smooth like a washing machine on a slow cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Sounds like your engine mounts are worn, or loose. If you get someone to blip the throttle while you watch, if the engine jumps a good bit, then its the mounts (try not to blip it from the engine bay as your hand will dampen some of the jump).
    Then check the mounts for tightness and/or loose bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what the guys said to far is spot on.

Also, when you change gear, you might be able to feel the engine rock on the mounts as you change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

what why where when. why are you looking at your engine. If the car drives ok leave it alone. Worn engine mounts will have far symptons then a shaking engine. Close the bonnet, and drive the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Engine mounts I'd suggest also.
    However, if your engine has balance shafts AND you had a timing belt changed improperly recently AND the balance shafts are out of phase, the engine will rock and roll, but otherwise run fine.

You migh also want to insure it is running on all 4 cyl. any misfires, lack of power, etc associated with a low cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I dont think it has lost any power so i am not worried about the compression rate.

SouperComputer - the reason why i was looking at the engine was because i was checking the oil and fluids then started the engined to see if there was any leaks or noises the what suggest a leak.

My first Renault Clio 1994 three years ago had 145k miles on the clock i put that down to good regular maintenance instead of driving the crap out of it like most people do with their new cars now and sell them on to others in a bad state while they just go and buy a new car again. No appreciation of how to look after a car properly. Anyone who agrees with 20k service intervals need their head examined.

A car is good for at least 10 years if looked after properly so why the big obession with buying new cars. Any proper car fan worth their weight in gold will know their way around an engine instead of having the mentality of "just drive away till it stops" attitude.

Advertisement