Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel uploads on BT

• 14-09-2005 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Here's one I've noticed. Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem.

I just got bt 2MB in a week or two ago. Was running it off a Netopia dsl modem I had knocking about. And getting about 1.65MB down 103kbps up and pretty stable at those from irishisptest

When bt's modem arrived I configured it and lashed it in instead. Now getting 1.72MB down, 70kbps up!!!

Really need as much upload speed as I can get, I do alot of uploading overnight for clients to webservers in the states.

Anyone had any problems with these modems. Standard config on it from the box. I tried changing from CBR to VBR nothing major happened. PPoE is the only one that works at my exchange it would appear.

Telnet'd into the box, hoping I could change more settings directly as the web interface is a bit basic. Couldn't find anything to change.

Nothings changed on the cabling side, just swapped out the Netopia for the Zyxel.

Any ideas?

Its the standard Zyxel (603 i think if my memorys working today, firmware up to date)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

You probable have a Zyxel 623.

That irishisptest is a little odd as I can get a stable 13-14kBytes/second on my uploads to a server located in California using FTP and still only get 6Xkbit on that speedtest!!!

13-14(104-112)...lets say 108kbit on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Wonder is it just the packet size and windowing thats throwing off speedtest then. The phsyical throughput to my server in LA is about the same, 13/14KB a sec. Or 100 and something kbps.

Also the throughput does fluctuate on the Zyxel. So it can do down to 9KB/sec. Which never happened on the netopia box. Was always a stable 13/14KB. Debating putting the old one back in but was half wondering why should I, just a dialup router. Shouldn't really be having a problem.

It's a weird one...

Yeah pretty sure it is the 623 now that you mention it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I've got 2mb BT as well and someone did a post here a few weeks back and we all averaged around 70. I think its just BT's standard crappy upload speed. If you get better, you're lucky, but from what I hear 70 is what to expect (what you pay for is a different matter ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I've got 2mb BT as well and someone did a post here a few weeks back and we all averaged around 70. I think its just BT's standard crappy upload speed. If you get better, you're lucky, but from what I hear 70 is what to expect (what you pay for is a different matter ;) )

Please read the above posts again!

We get the exact same speeds as eircom customers get...but the Zyxels are just shít!!!

As I said above I get a stable 13-14KB/s when uploading so its just thats there is an incompatibility in the way Zyxel 623's operate when testing with irishispspeedtest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Prob just packet size is very large, as in MTU. Shame theres no option to change it when you telnet into the box. Little less reliable at uploading anyways, I'd say I'll switch it back end of the week. Bearly get a good VOIP or VPN session going the way it was before. Any sort of fluctuation and forget about it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement