Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Smart

• 14-09-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved into a house where the phone line had been de-activated. I want Smart BB and wrote to them asking how best to organise it. They said to get Eircom to reactivate the line but not to mention Smart at all, cause Eircom might be 'less willing' to do anything for me if they knew I was moving to Smart. Fair enough.

So I reactivated and the phone now works again. However, I need my account number to apply for Smart, should I just ring Eircom and ask for it or would they refuse, knowing there's no reason for me to ask for it unless I planned to leaev them. Should I invent some excuse for needing it? I have only just re-activated the line and don't want to wait for my first bill as I don't want to pay Eircom line rental or anything.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

You could tell them that you're considering getting tenants in the house, and as they will be paying the bill directly, they will need the account information.

Mind you, Eircom has no reason to keep your own account information from you, so I don't think they can flat out refuse to tell you your number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

zoro wrote:
    Mind you, Eircom has no reason to keep your own account information from you, so I don't think they can flat out refuse to tell you your number

They wont flat out refuse but they sure wont make it easy for you. I know from several friends wanting their a/c number for the same reasons. They asked for them to be sent out in a letter or something as Eircom wont issue them over the phone. Cant remember as its been a while but I think they ended up having to wait till their first bill.

Chabsey I take it your smart enabled so? which exchange were you on in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Hmmm .. tricky one so.

Tell them that you're leaving the country for 6 months (work related) and that if they want to get their money on time, then they'll have to give you the account number over the phone.

After all, your plane leaves in 2 days, and you want to be sure that all of your affairs are in order before yo ujet off to San Fransisco :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

not sure if I understand this, when I think of an eircom account number that would be the one at the top of my bill??? Also anytime you have a query they ask you for your account number so you're expected to have it. As far as I remember when you reconnect the line you should get a letter confirming it along with your telephone number and account info. If for some reason it's not on this you can either wait for your first bill or just ring them saying you want to avail of the online services. You need your account number to either view your bill online or pay your bill.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭chabsey

DamoKen wrote:
    not sure if I understand this, when I think of an eircom account number that would be the one at the top of my bill??? Also anytime you have a query they ask you for your account number so you're expected to have it. As far as I remember when you reconnect the line you should get a letter confirming it along with your telephone number and account info. If for some reason it's not on this you can either wait for your first bill or just ring them saying you want to avail of the online services. You need your account number to either view your bill online or pay your bill.

Hope this helps

Excellent, that online thing sounds ideal. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭chabsey

skywalker wrote:
    Chabsey I take it your smart enabled so? which exchange were you on in the end?

Yes, it turned out to be the Clontarf exchange.

skywalker wrote:
    They asked for them to be sent out in a letter or something as Eircom wont issue them over the phone.

Just remembered when I wanted to register online I was in work so rang them to get my account number as I didn't have a bill with me. Admittedly they won't be immediately forthcoming with your a/c, but it's more down to security considerations than anything else I think as between that and knowing someones number it wouldn't be all that hard to get info on their account if one was so inclined. Anyway, think it may come down to the one you're talking to, the girl I was on to was sound enough and after a little gentle persuasion plus knowing my other personal details, she gave it to me without too much hassle over the phone. Just make sure to remember your address and mothers maiden name and you'll be grand methinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Don't take that crap from them............tell them it's none of thier business why you want it...Inform them you are requesting the number in accordance with the data protection act you are entitled to the info........

beller b wrote:
    Don't take that crap from them............tell them it's none of thier business why you want it...Inform them you are requesting the number in accordance with the data protection act you are entitled to the info........

of course you're entitled to it, just as they're entitled to post it to you due to security considerations. The point I was making is if you are nice to the person you're speaking to you'll get them over the phone rather than have to wait for them to arrive by post, no need to start screaming about your rights, I find you can achieve a lot more if you treat people nicely. Of course if you end up onto a d*ckhead (and there is a fair few of them there) then by all means inform them of what you're entitled to, might actually be a revelation to a few of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I tried to get them to post my account number recently. The poor chap was baffled by this request and told me "it is in the post". Three months later I am still waiting. Thankfully I found it on an old bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

When I needed [not wanted, needed for DSL] to get a phone line in my new [second hand] house, I rang Eircom. There was oalready a line there but it was just disconnected.

Anyway, to cut a not so long story even shorter...

10am : I rang Eircom to reactivate the line. I also asked them for my new phone number and account number in the same call. They gave me the details and said that all would be connected by 12pm. Sorted.

10:15am : I rang Smart. Asked them to transfer me over to their system ASAP as I didn't want to be with Eircom EVER. Gave them my phone and account number. Informed them that my line wouldn't be live until mid-day. They said not to worry, they would try at about 1pm.

10:20am : Sorted. Had a phone line and transferred over to Smart and no more Eircom.

6pm : Got home from work and had my phone line working. Brilliant. Got Bt broadband within the next 2 weeks as Smart weren't ready.

I really do not like Eircom. I dislike them more than I dislike IBB, and that is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

I also did the same thing, called Eircom and reactivated my line, called them again to ask for my account number, they told me it'll be sent to me by post due to security issues, so I called again and another rep. gave me the number and I called Smart and after about 10 days I was online with a working phone line (summerhill exchange).
    P.S.
    I've called smart everyday to assure fast transfer.

Advertisement