Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Annual Mileage

Options
  • 14-09-2005 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Does any know what the average annual mileage for a 1600cc car is? I am hearing conflicting reports no matter who I go to. If i was trading in my 04 car with a garage with 29000 on it I' be left in no doubt that the mileage is very big. However I know this second hand car dealer who claims that a 1600cc car does an average of 16000 per year.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Engine saize would have very little relevance to annual milage

Most punters put up beteen 10,000 and 15,000 miles per year as an average

Don

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Borzoi wrote:
    Engine saize would have very little relevance to annual milage

Most punters put up beteen 10,000 and 15,000 miles per year as an average

Don

Well the fellow I was talking to seemed to think that it did. I guess I'll be heading to him to buy my next car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

Insurance companies take it as 12,000 per annum so i'd say Borzoi's pretty bang on. Maybe you could get that information from www.ncts.ie - i know you can get an average mileage figure from the MOT body in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The average annual mileage of all private cars in the Republic is around 10k

I'm pretty sure about this, hold on till I have a quick search...

recent article in the Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hawker wrote:
    Does any know what the average annual mileage for a 1600cc car is? I am hearing conflicting reports no matter who I go to. If i was trading in my 04 car with a garage with 29000 on it I' be left in no doubt that the mileage is very big. However I know this second hand car dealer who claims that a 1600cc car does an average of 16000 per year.

Any thoughts??

The average mileage for an average petrol car is around 12,000 per year. Before it used to matter about the size of the engine. The bigger the engine the less wear on components due to mileage. About 20 years ago engined cars such as Polos and Fiestas in 1.0 form with huge mileage used wear out faster but the technology these days is more robust, depending on the make of car of course. I do about 25k a year and have never had any issues trading my cars usually after 2 years. 29K on a 04 1.6 car is above average but its barely run in and it looks like the dealer is trying to use it as a bargining tool in his favour.

I bet he would tell a potenial buyer that 29k was only run in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

typically any car does about 10K~15k pa.
    but given my 2.4L truck only does 3K, a 1.6L should only go 2K pa.

Advertisement