Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England/Ireland drop in FIFA Rankings

• 14-09-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

BBC Link

Ireland down 7 places to 21st, England down 4 to 11th.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    BBC Link

Ireland down 7 places to 21st, England down 4 to 11th.

Any thoughts?

Thought number one is that these rankings are useless!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

the czech republic are 4th?? how very silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, I'm a little wary of these rankings too.

England number 11? WTF that are not top 20 material...
    Holland number 2?? Dunno. Not number 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

its a load of cóck if you ask me. meaningless.

All that concerns me is two wins out of two in the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah I'm inclined to agree that the accuracy of these rankings are highly questionable.

Still, if we had moved into the top 10 people wouldn't exactly be questioning them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree that the accuracy of these rankings are highly questionable.

Still, if we had moved into the top 10 people wouldn't exactly be questioning them...

years ago we where in top 10.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This rankings don’t mean a thing. They are totally inaccurate and tbh I couldn’t care less if we dropped to 151st as long as we win our next two games. Don’t pay any attention to FIFA's rankings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Do they effect seedings in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Do they effect seedings in any way?

no, I read in last Friday's Irish Times (I don't have a link as you have to pay for it) that the seeding take into accout performance in World Cup 2006 qualifing and performance in Euro '04 and Euro '04 qualifing.
    So if we don't qualify for WC '06 we will probably be a 4th seed.
    And for Euro '08 there will be no playoffs, top 2 from group qualifies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Look at 5th in the rankings. That sums up how much meaning they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

All you have to do is play lots of friendlies and not lose and you can get into the top 10.

I think we belong in the top 15. Anything below that is a disapointment.

If we win our next two games against Cyprus and Switzerland we will be 3rd seeds in Euro qualifiers. That means we will be fighting for one spot with a team that is on paper better than us. It has always suited us in the past so we have a good chance of making it through.

But by the same token, another good team could drop in the rankings and they could be in as 4th seeds. So its all swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

For the World Cup 2002 the group seedings were calculated as follows:

50% goes on performances in last 3 world cups, weighted more heavily towards recent results.
    50% goes on the FIFA rankings.

So the rankings are not meaningless but I would take bottom seed now if we could get to the bloody world cup.

Anyway, 21st is about right for us. We're 21st on this also:
    http://www.eloratings.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The reason they are useless is that they take into account friendlies, meaning we are actually higher than we should be and England lower. Bar the NI game, England usually do very well incompetitive games and treat friendlies as the meaningless games they are (though SGE takes this to a whole new level) Us on the other hand do ok in competitive games and quite well in friendlies, giving us a decent (if unjust ) position.

Advertisement