Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Irish Filmmaking website

• 14-09-2005 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I am about to start work on a website for the indie irish filmmakers...

I would like to get people opinons on what would be good to have on it
    there will be the likes of...

Forums
    Weblinks
    downloads

if anyone would be interest in contributing articles or tutorials they would be more than welcome..

also i need a good name for it ...ideas for that also welcome ...it needs to be good and catchy

something like indietalk but with an irish twist...

when finished i would hope the website would have all the information for anyone wanting to shoot a film in ireland ...feature short whatever ...and also helpful for those starting off in the industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if its for indie...then i recommand you set up a section for people to put up their qualifications and contact details so that filmmakers can find (Dps, editors etc) for their own projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

yeah... i hope to have a database of some sort which could include everyone from actors to DOPs to anyone that can help make a film...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

QuinnyKid wrote:
    I am about to start work on a website for the indie irish filmmakers...

Why bother?

There are already a bunch of resources out there to be honest and if you make yet another one, you're splintering the resources further and confusing the search engines. Do you really have what it takes to make the DEFINITIVE source on the web? Sorry to be so negative but unless you're going to make a resource that is better than all the existing resources, it ain't going to be constructive.

By the nature of the industry, we're all indies. Even the professionals.

name one irish one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

QuinnyKid wrote:
    name one irish one

www.iftn.ie

Comprehensive list of producers, directors, Articles, training, and news.

And thats just one.

• Advertisement

lol...ok there are a few and iftn is good but it's not the kind of site i have in mind...

i hope to have a place where filmmakers can network... and anyone can add themselves to the database for free!

and also a place where new talent can showcase their work ...can you do that on iftn?

the aim afterall is to promote Irish filmmaking and Irish Flimmakers and tbh can we really have enough of that?

oh and Re: confusing the search engines

i'm fairly sure the search engines can manage ...it's up to the webmasters to ensure their site comes up top!

QuinnyKid wrote:
    lol...ok there are a few and iftn is good but it's not the kind of site i have in mind...

i hope to have a place where filmmakers can network... and anyone can add themselves to the database for free!

And you can network it's called meeting people. STI run a few mixers a year, union meetings, filmbase screenings and festivals.

As for a database, well theres the book film base release every year with everything from DoP's to ADs to Editors, the benefit is you have to be registered, it's fact checked, rather than some dodgy database where some chancer with XL1 and a couple of corporates under his belt can declare himself a DoP.
    and also a place where new talent can showcase their work ...can you do that on iftn?

And you'll be able to do that? Handle the bandwiwth, and traffic, hosting streamed video? How on earth are you going to get an idea of a DoP's ability from a compressed quick time?

Ever heard of showreels, if you and they are commited to a project a brief listing on a website (and more often than not a personal recommendation) a meeting and a look a proper showreel is whats needed.

You've not really approaching this from a pramatic attitude, the Irish industry is small enough that most relationships are built on personal face to face relationship, people are recommended for jobs, by personal recommendations.
    the aim afterall is to promote Irish filmmaking and Irish Flimmakers and tbh can we really have enough of that?

Yes, but rather than approach this in a half baked and half cocked idea, actually look at what is required, what is currently available, and what is pratical and needed.

I don't think webstreaming of showreels is pratical, I don't think a database of "talent" matches what is currently available and better produced and better managed, and I don't think you understand how such a small community industry that relies on personal networking through working together, relates. Sorry.

you've got a few fair points there but you maybe looking at this rather narrow minded if you don't mind me saying

it may not be beneficial to you but there may be people out that don't know all this... i.e. students and people starting off...
    mycroft wrote:
    And you can network it's called meeting people.
    true but you also need to be able to set up such meetings... they won't just happen ...this could be a place to do such a thing
    mycroft wrote:
    some dodgy database where some chancer with XL1 and a couple of corporates under his belt can declare himself a DoP.

i'm sure most people would want to see a showreel before hiring such a person... then again maybe somebody wants to shoot their first short film and this guy has more experience than anyone he knows plus he's got a camera they can use for free...

mycroft wrote:
    How on earth are you going to get an idea of a DoP's ability from a compressed quick time?
    you're not... simple as ...but there are several websites around that show shorts... better to be online where there is a chance of someone seeing you're work rather than to be taking up space on you're hard drive
    mycroft wrote:
    And you'll be able to do that? Handle the bandwiwth, and traffic, hosting streamed video?
    mycroft wrote:
    the Irish industry is small enough

should be safe enough so :D
    mycroft wrote:
    Yes, but rather than approach this in a half baked and half cocked idea, actually look at what is required, what is currently available, and what is pratical and needed.

what is needed in you're opinon?
    mycroft wrote:
    I don't think webstreaming of showreels is pratical
    you right it's not but that wasn't really what i meant
    mycroft wrote:
    I don't think a database of "talent" matches what is currently available and better produced and better managed

but what harm is there in alternative
    mycroft wrote:
    and I don't think you understand how such a small community industry that relies on personal networking through working together, relates. Sorry.
    maybe so, i don't claim to be an expect or know every thing there is to know about the industry ...but in the past few years i felt there was a space for such a website... i could be wrong of course

thanks for your reply

anyone else care to comment?

QuinnyKid wrote:
    you've got a few fair points there but you maybe looking at this rather narrow minded if you don't mind me saying

it may not be beneficial to you but there may be people out that don't know all this... i.e. students and people starting off...

Yes but the point is you've decided that you want to set off and do this, and just haven't bothered looking at what is available.

You've yet to say what you'll offer aside from an unregulated database.
    true but you also need to be able to set up such meetings... they won't just happen ...this could be a place to do such a thing

Yes, yes they do. Union meetings happen, screen training Ireland run mixers several times a year for example at the Film Fleadh and at Christmas
    i'm sure most people would want to see a showreel before hiring such a person... then again maybe somebody wants to shoot their first short film and this guy has more experience than anyone he knows plus he's got a camera they can use for free...

So it basically a resoucres for thigh slapping, lets put the show on here, cliff richards starting off types, rather than a site for film makers.

you're not... simple as ...but there are several websites around that show shorts... better to be online where there is a chance of someone seeing you're work rather than to be taking up space on you're hard drive

So you are talking about streaming then?

what is needed in you're opinon?

I don't think it's needed, I think if this forum is a success then develop it from there.

you right it's not but that wasn't really what i meant

Then what did you mean by the above, talking about streaming and showing off talent.
    but what harm is there in alternative

Nothing other an diluting and distracting people from much more established and effective resources.
    maybe so, i don't claim to be an expect or know every thing there is to know about the industry ...but in the past few years i felt there was a space for such a website... i could be wrong of course

You apparenly didn't know about the IFTN website, I think you should research whats actually is there, and what people are looking for before you offer this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What about a website built around this forum?

Give it a while to see how things go maybe, but a website born out of ideas and advice given on this forum could be quite interesting. And as boards.ie already has the attention of quite a large chunk of the 'net surfing population, it would be an ideal place to 'network'.

no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

we will need to give that a few (alot) months before hand goodshape.

At least until we see how the planned film festival goes.

and do we really need to establish a website to 'network'? In its current form as a starting point for filmmaking the forum is a practical and easy place for most young filmmakers (or for those making films as a hobby) to try ideas, get advice and so on.

After which websites like iftn would be the next logical step and hopefully a few members on here will be or are already members of iftn and would if impressed (which thinking of some members will be very hard) by some posters here would in someform vouch for them in later stages.

back on the original topic. there was a website a few months ago, that tried to be an irish filmmaking website, its founder posted up about it on the films board. Just so you know, i'm pretty sure that website has since crashed and burned.

Is there anyway you can assure us that your a more competant webmaster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yea BlitzKrieg, I agree. Not something for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 davidian

There's another site www.greenscreen.ie which is trying to get independent filmmakers on board similar to how shootingpeople in the uk works but I think they're having problems with the woeful level of internet use for information in this country compared to the UK. No-one seems to send in any information. I know they have a lot of subscribers but any website needs constant input from those in the field. As for the crew list, look at how long the Production Depot have been faffing around with their crew-finder. Face it, the web just isn't used in this country by enough people to allow a completely web-based film entity to survive. I mean, most production companies, including several big ones, don't even have a website! We still haven't moved away from the golden pages, obviously.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jaydeluxe

I'm with you QuinnyKid.

So much so I've set up www.FilmmakersNetwork.ie.

FilmmakersNetwork.ie is a new Irish networking space for people who want to make films.

For everyone from novices to busy professionals, it's a place to make contacts, share opinions, discuss movies, contribute ideas, discover talent, build creative relationships and make films.

Best of all it's completely free to join. Film is a collaborative artform & industry. Let's do it!

best of luck with it.... i lost interest in my idea tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Hey, quinny kid, stick with it, everything starts off small before it grows, you plant the seed then water it and then it grows. Just because ( and i say this without offence) a few people try and shoot your idea down, don't give in, work on it... never give up. Just because you don't know if you can meet peoples expectations and needs, isn't a reson to give up, in 6 months or a years time after the site is set up, you'll find that people want to be advertised on your site, then money comes into the equation, and that money can be replanted back into the site (sorry bout the seeds and gardening references) and then you'll have a whole new concept of what can be done to improve it.

To be honest, i'm a bit dis-heartened by some of the replies here. Quinny kid asked for some advice, and US... the Irish Film-maker.... treat him, well, if you've got to this post, you know already.... talk about trying to help people out. Thought these sites were for meeting fellow film-makers and maybe gainig Better Knowledge and maybe getting access to resources that alot of people don't have. Lets just be supportive. Quinny Kid was just trying to help the Irish film-making scene,, and lets be honest.... the sites that are around... don't see them getting many film-makers famous do you.. its aboout creaqting a friend base and asking for advice, lets not forget that.

eh... i don't have time, run too many sites as it is anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ronan Gallagher

Hi,

I am an indie fimmaker with a number of drama and documentaries to my credit which are all owned by me. I am looking for a technologically savvy partner to help me put my films up on the web for pay per download and I am willing to share revenues with such a person on a 60/40 basis (60 for me 40 for you) I am an established filmmaker and scriptwriter being a co-writer of (When The Sky Falls) starring Joan Allen Patrick Bergin and Pete Postletwhaite. More details of my films and trailers can be seen at www.ironmountainmovies.com If you think you can help and are willing to do so please contact me at bickle76@eircom.net

Ronan Gallagher
    Iron Mountain Entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hi,

I am an indie fimmaker with a number of drama and documentaries to my credit which are all owned by me. I am looking for a technologically savvy partner to help me put my films up on the web for pay per download and I am willing to share revenues with such a person on a 60/40 basis (60 for me 40 for you) I am an established filmmaker and scriptwriter being a co-writer of (When The Sky Falls) starring Joan Allen Patrick Bergin and Pete Postletwhaite. More details of my films and trailers can be seen at www.ironmountainmovies.com If you think you can help and are willing to do so please contact me at bickle76@eircom.net

Ronan Gallagher
    Iron Mountain Entertainment

Not sure if you'll get people to pay for shorts online these days. There's so many sites which stream free content (atomfilms.com) that a lot of people won't bother.

Advertisement