Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF Voters - if the next election goes wrong...

Options

Comments

_raptor_ wrote:
    Tell me Conor can you tell in all honesty / with hand in heart the FF-PD coalition haven't fucked up one thing after another?

Certainly. But on the other hand I wouldn't attempt to say they haven't ****ed up a few times either.

It's just that for me any alternative carries the possibility of even more problems, and the only way I judge that is from past experience - after all, as anyone who hates FF should gleefully point out because it was one of our **** ups, future promises are so easy to make.

By the way I should point out that I'm from a rural constituency represented by John O'Donoghue, but all I see is youngsters in the building trade driving 4 x 4 jeeps wondering will they buy a second house here or a couple abroad.

Lemming wrote:
    Whilst I have issues with some of the independents thinking and approach to politics, I find your attitude all the more worrying again. It reeks of what you accussed those attacking the current FF/PD government. Snobbery.

Well to quote yourself 'answer my question...answer my question...'.

What have Healy Rae, Fox, McGrath, Higgins etc. got to offer the Peace Process and NI? I don't think it's snobbish to suggest not much, but I will take anything you say in this regard on board. Or do you just want to ignore one of the most fundamental issues that faces this country because to deal with it would be to accept that FF have done more than the rest in one critically important issue. For me, NI is is slightly more important than the euros lost in the e-voting fiasco - it's looking at the bigger picture...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Certainly. But on the other hand I wouldn't attempt to say they haven't ****ed up a few times either.

Well, to quote yourself, going by past experience .... FF haven't exactly been anything approaching functional (as opposed to dysfunctional) in their governance, with one or two notable exceptions.
    as anyone who hates FF should gleefully point out because it was one of our **** ups, future promises are so easy to make.

"our"??? Are you party affiliated in anyway shape or form? I think it's only fair that you state so clearly before this debate continues.
    By the way I should point out that I'm from a rural constituency represented by John O'Donoghue, but all I see is youngsters in the building trade driving 4 x 4 jeeps wondering will they buy a second house here or a couple abroad.

Heh. Bad analogy. The building trade is rife iwth corruption and, how shall we say?, "loose" accounting practices? Harney ordered a full investigation into the building trade by revenue about a year ago, so heads are going to start rolling before long. And I dare say you'll be seeing a lot of "4x4 for sale" signs in the local papers.

But to stick with your analogy, all I see is more and more young people (in Dublin) who cannot afford their own homes. This is the first generation who can no longer afford to buy a home in their home city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I admire their ability, I admire that whole parish pump mentality and the Independant banging on about a hospital or television masts or Moore Street, but I wouldn't put them in charge of the country tbh...
    The independants, as a group have never had any decision making power. Theres never been enough of them.
    All they can do is bang on a bit about the issues they got elected on.

If there was enough of them to control the Dail, they could support each others' specific issues and actually get the things done that their constituents elected them in hopes of seeing. Then their agenda is clean, they can approach each debate and vote based on what they think is the right thing to do and why.

A party member is instructed on how to vote based on which campaign contributor is calling in their owed favour. They are not allowed to vote as they feel is best for their electorate

Well to quote yourself 'answer my question...answer my question...'.

I'll point out you still haven't answered mine. Common courtesy would imagine that you would.
    What have Healy Rae, Fox, McGrath, Higgins etc. got to offer the Peace Process and NI? I don't think it's snobbish to suggest not much, but I will take anything you say in this regard on board. Or do you just want to ignore one of the most fundamental issues that faces this country because to deal with it would be to accept that FF have done more than the rest in one critically important issue. For me, NI is is slightly more important than the euros lost in the e-voting fiasco - it's looking at the bigger picture...

The peace process? I think you misjudge the population of this country. Whilst I have no doubt that NI ranks highly on those of a "republican (of the SF/IRA kind)" persuasion, the overwhelming opinion I've encountered from others is that it's nice that the bombing has stopped. Beyond that I think that you'll find people's concerns rate getting taxed left right and centre, insurance, housing, and the rip-off culture that has developed, far far higher than what sit-y-at-e-on Gerry is complaining about now.

To the rest of us, I think'll find that the e-voting fiasco is a microsm of the bigger picture of an inept government that couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote:
    why are you a FF voter? Because mommy and daddy are? :rolleyes:
    Lemming wrote:
    I'm just anti-bullsh*t. Incidentally, reported for abuse.
    Lemming wrote:
    you seem to skipping everything I write to get cheap shots in...this sheep-like logic... Any f*cking two-bit f*cktard can point out what's wrong with a given situation. I don't want any two-bit f*cktard. And neither should anyone else.
    Lemming wrote:
    Stop being facecious. I find your attitude all the more worrying again...Snobbery.

and then...
    Lemming wrote:
    Common courtesy

I love irony. You don't see half enough of it around the place.

lemming wrote:
    Originally Posted by Lemming
    why are you a FF voter? Because mommy and daddy are?

And as I already explained, quite verbosely, that remark was not a swipe at you, but rather the mindset that prevails in this country regarding voting.
    lemming wrote:
    I'm just anti-bullsh*t. Incidentally, reported for abuse.

I don't see what my being "anti-bullsh*t" in a political sense of the word has anythign do with anything other than I am affiliated to no party and am a floating voter. You were also reported for name-calling.
    lemming wrote:
    you seem to skipping everything I write to get cheap shots in...this sheep-like logic... Any f*cking two-bit f*cktard can point out what's wrong with a given situation. I don't want any two-bit f*cktard. And neither should anyone else.

I see you've mastered the art of "cutting up" sentences. Would you care to post the FULL version of the above quoted text?

As I've said .. another cheap shot. Your entire argument as thus far been bereft of any original thought and has been nothing more than a party-political broadcast.
    lemming wrote:
    Stop being facecious. I find your attitude all the more worrying again...Snobbery.

Once again, I'm going to ask for the FULL version of the above quoted text. You are deliberately attempting to goad and are presenting nothing to the thread which you incidentally started.
    and then...
    lemming wrote:
    Common courtesy
    I love irony. You don't see half enough of it around the place.

No irony at all. Since I've been correct in everything I've observed so far. You have failed to answer my questions, and instead choose to try and sling mud and innuendo as if that will somehow make you look intelligent or make your argument for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lemming wrote:
    The peace process? I think you misjudge the population of this country. Whilst I have no doubt that NI ranks highly on those of a "republican (of the SF/IRA kind)" persuasion, the overwhelming opinion I've encountered from others is that it's nice that the bombing has stopped. Beyond that I think that you'll find people's concerns rate getting taxed left right and centre, insurance, housing, and the rip-off culture that has developed, far far higher than what sit-y-at-e-on Gerry is complaining about now.

To the rest of us, I think'll find that the e-voting fiasco is a microsm of the bigger picture of an inept government that couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery.
    Couldn't agree more. We need to focus on our own country's and that's problems before we even think about taking on the North's as well. I will not be drawn into a facetious argument as to whether the North is part of this country, legally the government are responsible for the Republic of Ireland and this should be the government's first and foremost duty imho.

It worries me that there's no party of significant size to stand a practical chance of ousting Fianna Fail that I would happily vote for. Last time around I voted for the PD's under the auspices of putting someone in place to try and put a reign on the cronyism inherant in FF. They failed me so they won't be getting my vote this time around. I'll probably give first preference to either the Greens or Labour this time. Not because I agree with all of their policies but because I believe them to be honest and to genuinely have the best interests of the electorate in mind when seeking government. I'm a realist, I know they probably won't form part of the next government, but they can at least represent me on those aspects of their manifesto that I do agree with.

I'd possibly agree with more of the Fianna Fail manifesto than many of these parties. The difference is, FF have shown that their manifesto bears little resemblence to their actual policies and practices of governence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I agree with Lemming. There's a small minority in the South who care enough about the North to make it a big issue when it comes to voting. I for one wish they'd just get on with Governing themselves and be done with it. I am far more concerned with how the government are spending my money. So far they have been nothing short of criminal in their abuse of their power. Michael Martin said it all on the Late Late Show when he had the audacity to say that THEY would take a hit on the e-Voting fiasco. That just about sums up their attitude to OUR money.

Ah yes, and of course they were still cleaning up after the Fitzgerald/Spring debacle, and they in turn were cleaning up after Lynch, who was cleaning up...in fact we could take that argument right back to the foundation of the State.
    It might be worth your while to google the Tallaght strategy ...ah feck it I'll do it for you.
    It was not until the late 1980s that the country began to recover. Much of the credit for that recovery should go to Garret FitzGerald, who recognised that the economy was going to get worse if Fine Gael played politics as usual. He announced that if the new Haughey government introduced the necessary unpalatable economic reforms, Fine Gael would support them.

Alan Dukes then implemented what become known as the Tallaght Strategy by backing spending cuts.

In other words the first of the two civil war enemies to actually compromise for the better good was FG.
    The fact that they have a leader at the moment who probably means well and does work hard but has a lack of PA abilities and a bungling awkwardness in everything he says thats topped only by George Bush is FG's achille's heel from what I can see.
    The thoughts of Kenny as Taoiseach is cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Conor your obviously affiialeted with Fianna Failure or your trolling, either way you should be banned from politics :-0

But in all seriousness before posting anything else and replying to any other post answer theese simple questions:

1: are you a member / affiliated with fianna fail
    2: can you give specific examples of what fianna fail can 100% claim credit for that is good for the country (discounting the NI issue)
    3: answer most of lemmings questions
    4: do you not think that the "Corridors to power" scheme is a flagrant abuse of power by FF and for this alone they shouldn't recieve any votes in the election

Personally I think that if you dont answer these (particularly the first 2) you should be banned for trolling because to me it's either your a troll of you have Fianna Failures ability to talk absolute ****e and not answer any questions directly at all and dole out the usual reply when a **** up happens of WELL THE OTHERS ARE EVEN WORSE THAN S (i guess we'll find out next election cos FF wont be in power much longer)

so in other words put up or shut up

As the general consensus seems to be that I'm trolling, I'll stop. It was not my intention to provoke ire and the usual 'I hate Bertie' rhetoric that has been done to death.

A few of you have pointed out that NI is not important, and I accept that is a valid opinion, it's just not one I share. For me it is fundamental, for many the pound in the wallet is a more important issue - although I happen to think that FF have done more to ensure that most of it remains there too.
    Lemming wrote:
    Since I've been correct in everything I've observed so far

While I admire your confidence, mommy and daddy did tell me one basic thing, which was never to confuse personal opinion with objective fact. It's only 'common courtesy', surely? After all, every argument could be won with the 'I'm always correct' approach...permission to borrow it for future use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

Earthman wrote:
    The thoughts of Kenny as Taoiseach is cringeworthy.

Yes but less cringeworthy than Bruton or indeed Noonan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

daveirl wrote:

Yes but probably not while Rabbite is leader

Never underestimate the ability of political parties to say one thing and do another. They can wheel out various excuses like that is what the people chose or it is in the national interest etc etc

My honest opinion is that it is time FG and FF put their civil war differences behind them I can see no real policy differences between the for that matter the PDs could join them as well
    I think the Labour party have missed an oppurtunity to kill off FG by offering them the prelection pact. They were on their knees after the last general election and a half decent labour party leader should have finished them off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

cal29 wrote:
    Yes but less cringeworthy than Bruton or indeed Noonan
    I'd have said more cringeworthy.
    I reckon Bruton was coached and the coaching worked.
    He suddenly started speaking veeeeerrrry sloooooowly and paused a lot to think before it came out.
    Kenny just has to perse his lips after every sentence with this false smile that looks like he's saying nah na nah na nah after everything he says and with a touch of "that gotcha didn't it..."

And I can tell you it doesnt work.
    At least I cringe every time I see and hear it.

As regards Noonan,he was just plain unlucky,ill advised or just too plain tunnel visioned at times in my view.
    He made some serious errors or at least took some bad advice eg the Blood scandals and his approach to the victims of it.
    Pity really as he was/is otherwise an excelent debater(unlike Kenny) and very very funny.
    Dukes-he was inteligent but boringly so-competent though but not a leader in my opinion.

They were/are all ugly and lacking the charisma(though I'm sure quite nice) to hoover in the voters.

I'll apply this analysis to the other parties too and add scores out of ten if ye want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

A few of you have pointed out that NI is not important, and I accept that is a valid opinion, it's just not one I share. For me it is fundamental, for many the pound in the wallet is a more important issue - although I happen to think that FF have done more to ensure that most of it remains there too.

What about NI, precisely? You realise the majority of people in NI seem to oppose becoming part of the ROI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

I suspect so many vote FF because they are a heck of a lot better off in real terms than they were in 1987. Let's start with employment rates...
    cough
    The PDs were in Government by then, so by your logic we should be voting them in rather than Fianna Fail?
    Wow. Nothing can possibly go wrong <sarcasm>.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

There's a lot of good stuff in this thread but dear Lord please forgive the tripe. I'm picking on this post.
    cal29 wrote:
    They can wheel out various excuses like that is what the people chose or it is in the national interest etc etc
    Matthew 4:21: "do not do what the people chose or what is in the national interest if it goes against your previous policies" :D.
    My honest opinion is that it is time FG and FF put their civil war differences behind
    Never ever ever gonna happen. Ever. Ever. Think Rev. Paisley rapping with the Pope and Gerry Adams while executing Loyalists ever.
    no real policy differences between [FF and FG] for that matter
    Achieving unification in the North through exclusively peaceful means? Releasing "IRA-martyrs" that shoot Gardái?
    the PDs could join them as well
    Unlikely. It is Fine Gael's stated aim to annihilate the PD's. I expect FG to take a step right quite soon and FF to edge back to the left; removing any need for the PD's.

I think the Labour party have missed an oppurtunity to kill off FG by offering them the prelection pact.
    Fine Gael have 30,000 members. This will grow no matter which way the election goes. If we lose, people will float to us even more as people just really get sick of FF. If FG get elected this time we will grow even further also: a stint in government and a chance to show of some policies (and yes, there are some policies and I'll get to that) will attract the voters that think that we have so few policies we'll no longer bring in laws.
    They were on their knees after the last general election
    On our knees with 20% of the vote :rolleyes:. And even still we recovered to the mean of their representation within 5 years. Labour's recent pact had feck all difference about this. For the first time ever we matched FF (well, give or take 10 seats) in the local elections and that was way before any real pact.
    and a half decent labour party leader should have finished them off
    How could a Labour leader, of all leaders, finish us off? Pacts aside, Labour voters are not Fine Gael voters. It's not like they could have stepped up their game. And even had they, it would only have served the PD's as people like myself would have probably tried to centralise the PD's.

Begin moving speech with altruistic music playing in background...

Fine Gael do have policies. In Ireland, nearly every party have a "slogan": FF are "Republican", Labour are "Socialist", the PD's "Liberal" and SF are "scumbags"; but Fine Gael are the only party to not tie their policy to catchphrases like this. FG's policy is not necessarily based on "Liberal" or "Republican" thinking, but on honesty, integrity and justice. I know that sounds like an absolute soundbite but that's the absolute reason we often sway either side of the Left/Right divide and people think we don't have policies.

With regard policies, both Deputy Kenny and Deputy Rabbitte have agreed to not formally publish full election policies yet. To me, there are three reasons for this:
    1. What's the point in announcing your manifesto (and there will have to be a massive PR push for the manifestos) mid-term? The election will be in 2 years. The hype will have worn off.
    2. It only gives time for FF/PD's to adapt to the policies, nit-pick them for two years and have a stronger chance to criticise (rightly or wrongly) said policies
    3. Both FG and Labour have to finalise the policies and it's suicide to announce policies before they've been tried and tested and passed by each other's party members. I know, for example that policies such as a Flat Tax and a State Insurance body are kicking around Young Fine Gael (the senior parties' policies are far more secret)- but they have to go through the machinations first.

There will be policies. And strong ones at that. FG will come down hard on economic and justice issues such as taxes and the IRA, and Labour will kick in with child-care and their stuff. Fingers crossed the Greens will join us in the Dept of the Environment.

With regard Enda Kenny as taoiseach, yeah he's no Bill Clinton. However, Bruton said of Bertie that "they won't accept his style in Europe" and in fairness to the man he stood up to the task. Of course Kenny could do it too.

But in fairness lads, Bertie got it goin' on.....
    g8walk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

There's a lot of good stuff in this thread but dear Lord please forgive the tripe. I'm picking on this post.

As depressing as it is to agree with a FG voter, I found the OP to echo the kind of tedious whingy arrogance that is indicative of FF.

The abuse of the FG Labour power share is mildly hilarious, considering how quickly FF were willing scurry up to labour not fifteen years ago

Achieving unification in the North through exclusively peaceful means? Releasing "IRA-martyrs" that shoot Gardái?

Sorry in case you've not noticed FF haven't done that. Yet. :rolleyes:
    Unlikely. It is Fine Gael's stated aim to annihilate the PD's. I expect FG to take a step right quite soon and FF to edge back to the left; removing any need for the PD's.

The most disturbing part of Irish politics is the existance of the PDs that "we" feel we need this minority party with an unreasonable amount of power is depressing.
    Fine Gael have 30,000 members. This will grow no matter which way the election goes. If we lose, people will float to us even more as people just really get sick of FF. If FG get elected this time we will grow even further also: a stint in government and a chance to show of some policies (and yes, there are some policies and I'll get to that) will attract the voters that think that we have so few policies we'll no longer bring in laws.

On our knees with 20% of the vote :rolleyes:. And even still we recovered to the mean of their representation within 5 years. Labour's recent pact had feck all difference about this. For the first time ever we matched FF (well, give or take 10 seats) in the local elections and that was way before any real pact.

And again it's just kind of funny someone sneering at FG when at the last two elections and by-elections they've (depressingly) garnered votes. They're (by their TDs in the dail proportion) over represented in the EP.
    How could a Labour leader, of all leaders, finish us off? Pacts aside, Labour voters are not Fine Gael voters. It's not like they could have stepped up their game. And even had they, it would only have served the PD's as people like myself would have probably tried to centralise the PD's.

And again depressingly true, the level poltical naivity by the OP is just shocking, I mean here he's boasting about "his" party yet hasn't bothered to research the opposition.
    Begin moving speech with altruistic music playing in background...

Begin searching for the sick bucket.
    Fine Gael do have policies. In Ireland, nearly every party have a "slogan": FF are "Republican", Labour are "Socialist", the PD's "Liberal" and SF are "scumbags"; but Fine Gael are the only party to not tie their policy to catchphrases like this. FG's policy is not necessarily based on "Liberal" or "Republican" thinking, but on honesty, integrity and justice. I know that sounds like an absolute soundbite but that's the absolute reason we often sway either side of the Left/Right divide and people think we don't have policies.

With regard policies, both Deputy Kenny and Deputy Rabbitte have agreed to not formally publish full election policies yet. To me, there are three reasons for this:
    1. What's the point in announcing your manifesto (and there will have to be a massive PR push for the manifestos) mid-term? The election will be in 2 years. The hype will have worn off.
    2. It only gives time for FF/PD's to adapt to the policies, nit-pick them for two years and have a stronger chance to criticise (rightly or wrongly) said policies
    3. Both FG and Labour have to finalise the policies and it's suicide to announce policies before they've been tried and tested and passed by each other's party members. I know, for example that policies such as a Flat Tax and a State Insurance body are kicking around Young Fine Gael (the senior parties' policies are far more secret)- but they have to go through the machinations first.

There will be policies. And strong ones at that. FG will come down hard on economic and justice issues such as taxes and the IRA, and Labour will kick in with child-care and their stuff. Fingers crossed the Greens will join us in the Dept of the Environment.

How wonderfully patronising; the bone thowing to labour and greens that respectively child care and the environment is "their kind of stuff", like some goit down the golf club talking about the lil woman back home and the hobbies that keep her busy, while you earn the crust. That kind of contempt and expectation that the other fella will do your work for you, the stuff you can't be bothered with is typical of FG unjustified and absurd arrogance (cause hey piddly little details, like "children" and "the planet" are mere trifles that big shots like FG can't be bothered with)

Jaysus and d'yknow what was fantastic, after talking about policies when you get around to mentioning policies you make a load of waffle and then mutter something about a flat tax and a state insurance body.

These arent policies, I mean they're the antithesis of each other. Muttering about such a socialist concept as a state insurance company while suggesting a Flat tax, the most extraordinary right wing form of taxation, sums FG right up. Scrambling for votes with whatever campaign promises (sod policies that'd be asking too much for them to think things that far through) they think will work. Hell Harney has done sweet FA with the insurance industry whats the easiest thing we can suggest to scrabble some votes away? State insurance! Never explain how it'll work, never justifiy how it gells with the rest of your promises, just keep yelling about FF failures, broken promises, and lies.

This thread does sums up why I have nothing but contempt for our two largest parties , the FFer isn't saying anything postive just "look how worse off you'd be under the other guy" and the FGer is like my gf playing tekken, just mashing policy buttons until she hits the right combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

black_jack wrote:
    Hell Harney has done sweet FA with the insurance industry whats the easiest thing we can suggest to scrabble some votes away? State insurance! Never explain how it'll work, never justifiy how it gells with the rest of your promises, just keep yelling about FF failures, broken promises, and lies.

Insurance premiums, unemployment, debt/GDP ratios just happened to fall by themselves.

Could anyboby name a more successful Irish government or provide links to any fully costed Fg/Labour policy documents?

There is over 10% unemployment in Germany. The economy is France is sluggish.

There is nothing worse than begrudgery and not giving credit where it is due.

Sure, the health system needs improvement. The Health Boards are gladly gone and new structures are now in place. I would prefer reform to happen quicker but reform takes time to implement.

The smoking ban was a measure than will be copied accross the EU. For once, this country has shown leadership.

If alternative government produced a policy document fully costed - then I'd consider it.

But FG/Labour have not even come up with an election platform of alternative policies. If partys were elected by soundbytes - Enda would already be Taoiseach.

black_jack wrote:
    How wonderfully patronising; the bone thowing to labour and greens that respectively child care and the environment is "their kind of stuff", like some goit down the golf club talking about the lil woman back home and the hobbies that keep her busy, while you earn the crust. That kind of contempt and expectation that the other fella will do your work for you, the stuff you can't be bothered with is typical of FG unjustified and absurd arrogance (cause hey piddly little details, like "children" and "the planet" are mere trifles that big shots like FG can't be bothered with)
    You mis-interpreted me. I wasn't "throwing them a bone". Let's be realistic, if there's a FG/Lab/Green govt who will be the main pushers on environmental issues? And damn right. Greens know more about windmills than I do. Who'd really really push for fair/good/etc social welfare? And damn right. Labour know more about the welfare economy than I do. And who'd know more about international relations? And damn right that that would be our post. Now I'm not suggesting that FG would not/could not/want not to deal with these "bones" but in such a coalition it only makes sense to have Labour deal with "Labour" issues etc. Comparing the division of responsibilty to anything other than the division of responsibility, particularly to "keeping the women busy", is the kind of arrogance only Charlie McCreevey election workers could know. (Personal anecdote. You get the idea ;)).
    Jaysus and d'yknow what was fantastic, after talking about policies when you get around to mentioning policies you make a load of waffle and then mutter something about a flat tax and a state insurance body.
    No, I was giving two examples of potential policies that are in "the machine" (and calling a spade a spade I picked two that probably won't be picked up so that there's no major discussion) that we could talk about but there's no point as they're not finalised nor accepted yet. There are dozens of policies (I'm speaking exclusively from YFG here, not the senior party) that are knocking about that we don't really want to get into until we decide fully on them. There's 2 years until the election so there's plenty of time and (hands up) we've not focused on policy the last couple of years as much as we have saving the party. Now we're working on policies that will be the manifesto for the generals and hopefully government. To give you a rough example, but we are not getting into them are:
    1) The effectual scrapping of budget day and enforcing targets on government
    2) Streamlining the public service
    3) Removing as much administration as possible from Gardaí, freeing up time for them to actually fight crime
    4) Mandatory publication of annual school reports from each school, giving them ability to name and shame the services they're not being offered but also criticise schools who are not performing, by the what-you-didn't-mention principle.

And to show we do have genuine costed policies that would make a huge difference:
    The basis of our Health Policy
    These [flat-tax and state insurance] arent policies,
    I agree. See above.
    I mean they're the antithesis of each other.
    Ah, another FF'er who thinks that there's no such thing as a synthesis; it's all in the original thesis aye? And actually, while we're on that topic, some policies are on different spectrums of each other I agree. But is this a bad thing? This is what I was getting at regarding the policy catchphrases "liberal" etc. Young Fine Gael are for low corporation taxes (right-wing). But are considering providing cheap state-backed insurance for community projects that are being choked by insurance costs (left-wing). What's wrong with that?
    Muttering about such a socialist concept as a state insurance company while suggesting a Flat tax, the most extraordinary right wing form of taxation, sums FG right up.
    In some respects you're right. We don't stick by the right/left thing. We do what we think is good and what is needed and that's what we're a party in the centre. Taxes on children's shoes and free third level education. There's no contradiction. But to be honest with you I completely agree about the flat-tax. I'm in the process of insuring its destruction.
    Scrambling for votes with whatever campaign promises (sod policies that'd be asking too much for them to think things that far through) they think will work.
    Right, Mr. Government, where's that awe-inspiring €10bn health plan that Micheál wheeled out before the last election? And those 2,000 extra gardaí? [It will take another six and a half years to train an extra 2,000 gardaí] And the 15,000 extra social housing units per annum? [Last year, higher than average, clocked in at 8,149]. The "permament end of hospital waiting lists by the end of 2004"? The reduction of poverty to below 2%? To lower the class:teacher ratio to 20:1? [It's 24:1]. The target that 80% of all earners will pay tax only at standard rate? The "costed" roads programme of €5.6bn that is currently clocking in at €16.4bn? The 0.7% of GNP for ODA by 2007?
    Hell Harney has done sweet FA with the insurance industry whats the easiest thing we can suggest to scrabble some votes away? State insurance! Never explain how it'll work, never justifiy how it gells with the rest of your promises, just keep yelling about FF failures, broken promises, and lies.
    Policies, they're just not done yet. 2 more years until election time lads. There'll be policies spilling out of our ears by then. If not, I'll simply leave the party.

If you want to see policies already finished have a look at the Policy/speeches section on www.finegael.ie.
    This thread does sums up why I have nothing but contempt for our two largest parties , the FFer isn't saying anything postive just "look how worse off you'd be under the other guy" and the FGer is like my gf playing tekken, just mashing policy buttons until she hits the right combo.
    Funny, but only true if your girlfriend is actually doing a combo that takes two years to work out. That would be one hell of a combo.

Cork wrote:
    Insurance premiums, unemployment, debt/GDP ratios just happened to fall by themselves.
    Insurance premiums have soared.

Unemployment did come down by itself. FF can't claim to have made the Celtic Tiger. You kept it running by doing sweet feck all. Unemployment and debt ratios had very little to do with the govt. Yes growth is firing away
    Could anyboby name a more successful Irish government
    There has never been a richer Irish govt? It's not what you got, it's what you got with what you had.
    or provide links to any fully costed Fg/Labour policy documents?
    Cork, buddy, FG/Labour have only released one policy document together, this month. And it's a statement of goals regarding social partnership. FF have some cheek to talk about "costings" and policy has been address seven times over.
    There is over 10% unemployment in Germany. The economy is France is sluggish.
    Germany's economy is nothing like ours. At all. And they took in an impoverished communist state not so long ago. You simply can't compare them. Hint: what you'd be much better doing is comparing our growth to the OECD average than to a manufacturing economy with fifteen times our population. But I won't let you win, you'll have to do the research yourself ;).
    There is nothing worse than begrudgery and not giving credit where it is due.
    What about hypocricy? Costed plans? If FF want costed plans FG will just take a random figure out of our head and say it. Of course, we won't actually try to ensure that that price is matched, but we'll let it soar to our heart's content.
    Sure, the health system needs improvement. The Health Boards are gladly gone and new structures are now in place. I would prefer reform to happen quicker but reform takes time to implement.
    8 years in government. A lot done. More to do.
    The smoking ban was a measure than will be copied accross the EU. For once, this country has shown leadership.
    Indeed. Well done.
    If alternative government produced a policy document fully costed - then I'd consider it.
    How kind.
    But FG/Labour have not even come up with an election platform of alternative policies. If partys were elected by soundbytes - Enda would already be Taoiseach.
    There's two years left. Policies from both parties and joined statements will come. The election is not judged by soundbytes - and nor is it tomorrow. No policies are needed yet because the public have not made up their mind. They will come before they do, and I just hope you lads keep using that line when they're spilling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Earthman wrote:
    It was not until the late 1980s that the country began to recover. Much of the credit for that recovery should go to Garret FitzGerald, who recognised that the economy was going to get worse if Fine Gael played politics as usual. He announced that if the new Haughey government introduced the necessary unpalatable economic reforms, Fine Gael would support them.

Alan Dukes then implemented what become known as the Tallaght Strategy by backing spending cuts.

I read this Examinier article two things come to mind
    1) Fitzgearld was on the way out of politics as he lost the election so announcing support should be taken with a grain of salt
    2) Fitzgearld had four years to introduce reforms. He failed so that statement of credit is rubbish
    Dukes to his credit did persue this policy and he paid a political price for it. It amazing how selective some journalists are in their writing.

mickd wrote:
    I read this Examinier article two things come to mind.

3). The Examiner is a strongly pro-FG paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Tuars

Here's the editorial from today's Independent, another rabidly pro-Fine Gael paper... :)
    JUST in case anyone had forgotten how large consultants, spin doctors and "experts" of all varieties loom in our lives, the Fine Gael chief whip, Paul Kehoe, has performed a useful service by finding out what we pay to maintain one part of the jungle.

He has discovered that in eight years Fianna Fail and Progressive ministers have spent just under €100m of taxpayers' money commissioning 1,044 reports. The Departments of Health and Justice are spectacular practitioners, with 134 and 161 reports respectively.
    We have a government that has substituted decision making for report commissioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

IMO the lions share of the political credit for the celtic tiger goes to Fianna Fail. just as Lemass did similar in the 1960's FF did in the late 80's early 90's. The concept of social partnership(employers and unions), which provided industrial stablility (no strikes) was introduced by FF. This was crucial as no company would invest in a country where workers were downing tools everyday of the week and millions of manhours lost as was the case in the 1980's. Once this was acheived then the other facets came into place curbing public spending, the £6 biillion EU structual funds, lowering corporation tax, promoting investment, skilled workforce etc to kick start the boom. True the rainbow coalition were the first govt to bring in a budget surplus but they were only continuing polices started by the two previous FF administations

However the current issue is managing the success, have we made the best possible use of resources we have? This current FF/PD administration has been found wanting in several areas. E-voting, infrastructure, NAC, commissioning reports as a previous poster illustrated, stealth taxes, child care the list is long. Can another combination of parties do better? Has labour moved from being an idelogical driven party to a pragmatic one? Has Fine Gael learned the art of decision making instead of the flip/flop of the past? I believe we will have a change of government after the next election. The effect of the SSIAs has been overstated. I don't beleve that Bertie will get his three in a row. Personally I would not want to see the likes of Martin Cullen or Noel Dempsey in government for another five years, but the opposition will have to start behaving like one and not cynically relying on people's dissatisfaction with the current government to get elected. The last thing we need is a hung dail some form of stability is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You know what? I'm basically with Bill Hicks on this one. It's basically one puppet master with a puppet on each hand and people debating over which puppet they prefare.

FF, FG and even Labour are so centerist now that you might as well be debating over McDonalds vs BurgerKing.

As for FF creating the Celtic Tiger, I beg to differ. Governments are always quick to claim the credit for global economic upturns. If anyone is to take the credit for the Celtic Tiger then it must be the IDA.

What is clear however is that generally Irish people aren't happy with their lot and there's a great deal of discontent at ground level. This will manifest itself at the next general election as an ABFF attitute.

Personally I believe that FF/PD will get a kicking and won't hold enough seats. A FG/LAB/IND coalition will scrape in with a tiny majority or there will be a hung-Dail.

Either way, plus ca change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

As for FF creating the Celtic Tiger, I beg to differ. Governments are always quick to claim the credit for global economic upturns

What global unturn? The French & Germans would only love to benefit.

The ground work for the Celtic Tiger was done by CJH who implemented a social partnership model.

Fair play to Alan Duke's Tallaght Stratergy, It was a disgrace how this man was later treated by FG.

Economic Success is not achieved by accident or default.

Advertisement