Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20gig but its 8gig

Options
  • 23-08-1999 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

M8 of mine has a 20gig h/d but its only showing up as a 8gig. Does he need some sort of programme so windblows can read it?

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Upgrade to win98 as its a mush better and far more stable OS.I have 2 10 gig hd's in my system and they are both used as 10 gig each with no problems.

Ven(not running out of space yet)om

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Upgrade to win98 as its a mush better and far more stable OS.I have 2 10 gig hd's in my system and they are both used as 10 gig each with no problems.

Ven(not running out of space yet)om

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WWMan, the 2GIG limit is a catch 22. The drive has to be formatted to FAT32. However in order to do that you have to have Windows95 already installed, which you can't do on a FAT32 drive because you have to have it installed to do it. smile.gif
    yeah, like im gonna ever have a 2 terrabyte hd

I give you 3 years when Quake 5 comes out. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, only win95 release 2 uses fat32.
    the first release of win95 used fat 16 smile.gif
    white(being pedantic again)wash

and ven, do you have partition magic 4?
    coz im getting bored with a single 13gig harddrive sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Dats right.

Has anyone checked that using win95a that the os will actually allow you fill the disk more . ie if you have a 3 gig drive formatted with fat16, win95 wont see the extra gig, but will it let you use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

8GIG is the max size Win95 and some NT will only support (on FAT I think?).

He should partition the disk if he has this.

If it's a brand new disk, run FDISK from within a Windows Dos bos. This will activate the FDISK32 which should allow you to make a larger disk, then format in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

or grab a copy of Partition Magic smile.gif

btw.. NTFS will only see up to 8 gigs as well, although this is fixed by recent service packs.
    also NT5 fixes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

afaik win95 will only read partitions of 2 gig.
    so if you have a drive bigger than that it has to be partitioned or any size drive will just read as 2 gigs. wast if you have a 20 gig hard drive wink.gif

nt will read up to 4 gig.
    i think win98 is the only one that will let you have a single drive of any size.... upto 2 terrabytes. yeah, like im gonna ever have a 2 terrabyte hd smile.gif

Advertisement