Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Issue?

Options
  • 14-09-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine moved in with me a few months back. we had a verbal agreement that we would split gas, esb and chorus bills. However, a gas bill came in and he saw that the 'standing charge' alone was €35 + another €35 for gas and now claims he should only be paying half of the gas used so to speak. That the standing charge is my issue.

What do you think? Anyone else splitting bills. Should I be paying standing charge because technically I'm the landlord (eg: we're not sharing the apartment as such, its mine?)

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

He's talking crap in fairness. No one splits bills like that. Plus most bills have some sort of standing charge so he could apply his warped logic to all of them too.

Of course you could just increase his rent to cover all the standing charges for all the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Your "Friend" would not be able to avail of ESB and Gas were the 'standing service charges' not applicable. Therefore, as the supply of same is dependent on this charge, he is liable for half of the COMPLETE bill (including standing charges).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

your friend sounds like a stingy git.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

lol, cheers folks :D Thought that was the case alright!

At least now I don't have to tape off half the TV screen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Verbal Agreement = Contract, take note of receipts then sue him for the remainer. Thats the Amercian way.

Irish way take out the raditors in his room and cut off the electricity as well see if he'll pay it then.

The normal route - just ask for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

in any rented acc whether it be with friends or just moving in with randoms it's always everything divided by whatever amount of people...every bill has some kind of charge/levy on it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apply a usage charge to the toilet. :D

Advertisement