Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT trying to *steal* my broadband

• 14-09-2005 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

A couple of months ago I decided to switch from UTV to BT's BB + line rental offer. However when they tried to extort a €125 "deposit" out of me I asked to have my order cancelled. Now two months late a BT modem arrived at my door. I logged into the BT account they setup with the original order only to discover that an order for broadband has mysteriously appeared, with an order date of only two days ago.

Surely this is a case of some sort of fraud? Who should I complain to apart from BT themselves?

Is there any legal method I can employ to force BT to remove all details (eg, credit card info, address etc) from their systems so they can't pull this kind of stunt again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wurdley

OFDM wrote:
    Surely this is a case of some sort of fraud? Who should I complain to apart from BT themselves?
    Contacting the compay responsible is the first step. We don't like BT's systems, but mistakes happen.
    Is there any legal method I can employ to force BT to remove all details (eg, credit card info, address etc) from their systems so they can't pull this kind of stunt again?
    See http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Even though I asked them yesterday to cancel the order it's still coming up as "complete" in my account details on the website. Now I've got a letter telling me when my credit card is going to be debited every two months.

This is ridiculous. I'm now sure they're going to go ahead and take over the broadband from UTV. Where do I stand if that happens?

I remember someone here mentioning getting a direct line to someone in billing.customer care who was able to sort out problems for them. If it's not too much to ask, could anyone who has contact details for such a person please PM them to me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pat.2.mccabe(at)bt.com is the billing manager

It appears to me that BT suspended processing the order until the €125 deposit requirement somehow evaporated off their system at which point they resumed the process again .

quite a benign ****up by BT Ireland standards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

OFDM wrote:
    I'm now sure they're going to go ahead and take over the broadband from UTV. Where do I stand if that happens?
    If you have received the modem and the online account is showing "Complete" then I'd say they have already taken over your BB from UTV. Hook up the modem and try log into BT BB. If you procede with the cancellation you'll probably end up without BB from either provider for a long time.

Seeing as you got what you originally ordered without paying the deposit, why don't you keep it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

kaizersoze wrote:
    If you have received the modem and the online account is showing "Complete" then I'd say they have already taken over your BB from UTV. Hook up the modem and try log into BT BB. If you procede with the cancellation you'll probably end up without BB from either provider for a long time.

Seeing as you got what you originally ordered without paying the deposit, why don't you keep it?
    The thing is I didn't get what I originally ordered which was BB including line rental. This new order was for BB only.

I'm staying with UTV. Tracerts indicate that my routing is still going through UTV, so BT haven't stolen it yet.

And there's no way I'm going to even try logging using a BT connection as that would activate the account.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

free modem it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jktiling

Dear member,
    Please have a read of the above mentioned post on Telcowatch. I too have had a very bad experience with BT.
    I am compiling a list of similar complaints to add weight to my forthcoming court case against BT Ireland for fraud and criminal misrepresentation. I was hoping that you might allow me to use your complaint as a similar case to mine. BT have done this on several occasions, each time putting them down to "ADMINISTRATIVE ERRORS". Did BT inform you in writing of your right under the Consumer Credit Act 1995 Section 50 to a ten day cooling off period ? It's the law. It's your right.
    Any further information would also be greatly appreciated and treated in strictest confidence.
    I can be contacted at jktiling@hotmail.com

Regards
    John

Advertisement