Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going wireless with NTL Broadband

• 14-09-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've read through a good few posts about this. Just have a few questions.

I have just ordered up ntl broadband, and I have 2 wireless and ethernet capable laptops at home.

I presume the engineer will connect one of these laptops to the cable modem once installed, and test internet connection.

Now what I will do next is connect wireless router to cable modem instead of laptop, so 2 laptops can share internet connection.

But what do I have to do to laptop settings / modem / router in order for this to work?
    Do I turn off modem, connect router, turn modem on, then router on?
    What specific config does the router require?
    What specific config do laptops require (network settings/ip addresses, etc).

Was looking at a Linksys wireless g broadband router. Anyone used this in an NTL setup? Or recommend another router?

Looking forward to your advise (and a fast internet connection)!
    GarLad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Just connect Router to Modem and turn power on Modem.

Any wireless router should work. Just make sure it isn't DSL Modem/router.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

paulm17781 wrote:
    Just connect Router to Modem and turn power on Modem.

Any wireless router should work. Just make sure it isn't DSL Modem/router.

Its NTL Cable so dont get dsl router get a wireless router with ethernet wan ports (i know a dsl one would work but some have modems & no wan ports)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

So once the router is plugged in to the modem, it will get an ip address from NTL?
    And this will be the only address NTL will see connecting?
    Do the pc's then get ip addresses assigned by the router? Any particular config for this, or does it happen automatically?
    If I want to use a wired connection, can I just plug laptop into router via ethernet cable?

Thanks for help!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

garlad wrote:
    So once the router is plugged in to the modem, it will get an ip address from NTL?
    And this will be the only address NTL will see connecting?

Yes and yes
    garlad wrote:
    Do the pc's then get ip addresses assigned by the router? Any particular config for this, or does it happen automatically?

Yes the PC's will get the IP address assigned by the DHCP server in the router. It should all happen automatically.
    garlad wrote:
    If I want to use a wired connection, can I just plug laptop into router via ethernet cable?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

...and for God's sake don't forget to secure the bloody thing - I got 4 or 5 here that have 'sprung up' over the past 2 months, obviously business ones, not one of which is secured :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement