Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Anti-Drink Driving initiative by Saab

Options
  • 14-09-2005 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

I came across it in a magazine, the key fob has a portable breathalyser built in, to start the car the driver has to blow into it, if alcohol is detected the car won't unlock or start. I think its a great idea - but will it work??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ann Elk wrote:
    I came across it in a magazine, the key fob has a portable breathalyser built in, to start the car the driver has to blow into it, if alcohol is detected the car won't unlock or start. I think its a great idea - but will it work??

Nope, they'll just buy other cars :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

But if it was introduced across the board by the Government - would you think it's a good idea or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I heard this was going to be a requirement in all new cars in europe soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Nope, they'll just buy other cars :p
    i think one of the points here is for insurance companies(dont go on about them please) that if the car is fitted with such technology at least they know u wont get done for drink driving thus reducing ur premiums(in theory anyways) also if ur partner friend loved one had one also wouldn't u like to be assured that they cant drink drive(also note its the other driver too etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Ann Elk wrote:
    But if it was introduced across the board by the Government - would you think it's a good idea or not??
    effin brillant idea i think but do u think that bunch of things would actually spend money on improving or lives??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

The man forcing you to do something.....

Just carry a baloon?

egan007 wrote:

Just carry a baloon?

The thought crossed my mind - would it result in a detector-type situation " It is now illegal to carry any balloon or balloon derived device in your vehicle, whether or not you intend to use it"

Would it lead to hoardes of dodgy looking geezers stalking the streets at night selling balloons along with their roses????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

unless you can prove it's your birthday :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

To me that's the equivelant of making sure you don't rob a bank by strip searching everyone who goes in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

And if worst comes to worst just bring around a canister of compressed carbon dioxide with you, problem solved

because you know as soon as someone employs this there will be someone else to make "100% fake, non alcoholic breath in a can" and so a complete waste of money

• Advertisement

Could be got around with a thermostat - the air coming from the canister will be cold??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There will be a whole new breed on "entrepeneur" setting up shop in pub car parks blowing into keysfor cash.

No doubt along side the older breed who currently 'blow' other things for cash (ahem, ahem!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

egan007 wrote:

Just carry a baloon?
    I can see Saab getting sued "but officer, my car let me drive... how was I to know that I was 6 times over the limit?"
    Stekelly wrote:
    There will be a whole new breed on "entrepeneur" setting up shop in pub car parks blowing into keysfor cash.
    "Car blow-jobs: €40"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Why not just get your mate to blow into it? (Presuming you have equally unscrupulous mates)

Also, what if your coat is locked inside and you have to walk home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ann Elk wrote:
    If you need to install a brethalyser in someones car to stop them from driving it then they shouldn't have a license.

There was a court case in the US in the last year involving a woman who had a breathalyser device fitted to her car by court order due to her history of alcoholism. She was given a very lengthy scentence (manslaughter or murder - I can't remember which) because she got one of her kids to blow into it to start the car and then proceded to crash into water drowning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Wait, whats to stop your sober friend from blowing into it? Its a great idea but too easy to overcome. Still, it'd be great if they were required on all cars, because it would stop alot of people from driving. They mightn't realise they're over the limit and will not drive when the car tells them they are. If someone's going to go to the bother of getting someone to blow into it, they'll be drunk driving no matter what, so there's no helping them really I suppose

Funkstard wrote:
    Wait, whats to stop your sober friend from blowing into it? Its a great idea but too easy to overcome. Still, it'd be great if they were required on all cars, because it would stop alot of people from driving. They mightn't realise they're over the limit and will not drive when the car tells them they are. If someone's going to go to the bother of getting someone to blow into it, they'll be drunk driving no matter what, so there's no helping them really I suppose

I agree to an extent - if someone really wants to drink-drive they'll probably find a way, but its the dissuasive factor which i think will work on a lot of people. ou would, after all be relying on finding a sober friend willing to help you get into a car when he knows that you're drunk - i'd like to think that none of my friends would be willing to do that.

Advertisement