Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2's 3g service

• 14-09-2005 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I know i've asked this question before but didn't get much of an answer. Can anyone tell when O2 will launch their 3g service and is it worth waiting for or should i move now.

Tempted by 3 but their introductory offers putting me off. You just don't know what they'll charge for the services after december. Also i'm not convinced by some of their charges.

Voda are now doing flat rate for Video Downloads from News and Sky sports and setanta etc of €10 per month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

O2s big hitter is iMode.
    It's more the content that the 3g technology.
    I think it's due for launch later this month.
    Worth holding out I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

That's cos no one knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

O2 Sorf Launched 3G on August 29th

"quote" Pythia That's cos no one knows... "quote"

There you go smart arse.

I've seen I mode in action in Hong Kong. It's a much more practical service then 3G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

How does Imode differ? How much will it cost? Will you need a 3g phone?

I Mode is effectively the service we were promised with 3g. With I Mode you can book flights, buy stuff on e bay etc, etc. It works on both 3g and GPRS. The way the it works is the network finds content providers, E Bay, aer Lingus, Disney etc etc. Who provide content for I Mode. Games, video etc etc. The network provider has noting to do with the content they make all there money on the GPRS \ 3G charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ccd wrote:
    O2 Sorf Launched 3G on August 29th

"quote" Pythia That's cos no one knows... "quote"

There you go smart arse.

I've seen I mode in action in Hong Kong. It's a much more practical service then 3G

Well yes I do actually know that, but that's only for things like connect cards. It's also slower than Vodafone's. But I think he means when will it be launched for the normal consumer. Like Vodafone and 3's version.
    The answer is sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

O2 did launch 3G on the 29th of August but only data cards for bus. customers (Novatel I think), Handsets will be launched later (but I'd say defo before christmas)

Pythia wrote:
    Well yes I do actually know that, but that's only for things like connect cards. It's also slower than Vodafone's. But I think he means when will it be launched for the normal consumer. Like Vodafone and 3's version.
    The answer is sometime soon.

If you did no that why didnt you point it out. As for speed In Therory Vf have a faster speed. But that is only in five or six prime locations eg. Vf head office leopardstown, Dundalk etc, etc.I have used both card and found no major differnce in speed. With the novatel card from O2 you get 3 months free unlimted usage, then after that you can download up to 1.5 gigs for E 130

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

VFs data card gets as good speeds in all 3G coverage areas I've tried. In Leopards town with full coverage or in areas of 1 bar coverage. Still get 40KB/s. The speed of the whole 3G network is the same - but depending on network load.

Hold out for I Mode. I hear it's coming very soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

I think people are getting mixed up here between bearers and services.
    3G is a bearer...ie it is a standard in data connectivity on a telecoms network.
    iMode is a service ie like MMS or something along those lines.

O2 are launching iMode soon, accessed via 3G or GPRS on soon to be released iMode handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The (apparantly only) 3G licences were awarded in the following order AFAIK:

Hutchinson 3G
    O2/Vodafone.

From what I know, since 3 got there licence first, they have more bandwidth available to them, O2 and vodafone as a consequence will have less available bandwidth. This would not be as much of a problem if 3G could work on the other available frequencies of 900 and 1800. In the states they have some 3G services operating on 1900 but I dont think that my 6680 will detect it because it will be expecting 3G services on the international 2100 band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ccd wrote:
    I Mode is effectively the service we were promised with 3g. With I Mode you can book flights, buy stuff on e bay etc, etc. It works on both 3g and GPRS. The way the it works is the network finds content providers, E Bay, aer Lingus, Disney etc etc. Who provide content for I Mode. Games, video etc etc. The network provider has noting to do with the content they make all there money on the GPRS \ 3G charges.

man this sounds like a press release...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You would be proud of such a marketing heavy answer yourself JTG.

The Oh-Pooh data costs are horrendous and make the rapacious Voodoofone look saintly by comparison.

lol at least its in my own words and I research the arguments myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ccd wrote:
    With the novatel card from O2 you get 3 months free unlimted usage, then after that you can download up to 1.5 gigs for E 130

Its the same data speed as all the others, 384k/64k , no better and no worse .

I am somewhat underwhelmed at paying €130 (+ VAT) for a 384k service with a 1.5Gb Cap every month especially if the same speed and a 1Gb cap is €50 a month incl vat with Voda in Germany. Its a ****e price , the cap should be 5Gb at that price .

Piss off back to O2 PR Bunny central and come back to us with an offer not an insult :(

oh you go girl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

referring to the rules: General civility to be observed at all times.

Sponge_Bob and jesus_thats_gre take note

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement