Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL Overview

Options
  • 14-09-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've been learning PHP from a book i got recently. I was supposed to be starting an introduction to PHP and MySQL course this monday but it has been cancelled due to lack of numbers :mad:

I'm slowly getting to grips with the PHP but could someone give me an outline of how easy it is to integrate with MySQL (which i know nothing about so far).

Also, how long would it take to get up to scratch with being able to imbed an oscommerce store into my own html templete? Thats ultimatly what im trying to achieve.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

How long is a piece of string? :)

If all you want to do is integrate a design template into Oscommerce, then you really shouldn't have to worry about MySQL too much.

I don't use oscommerce much myself, but integrating a design template into it should not require any MySQL knowledge.

That aside, PHP natively supports MySQL. It is dead easy to get PHP to work with MySQL. I've always found there is no subsitute for rolling up the sleeves and having a go yourself, so google for php + mysql + tutorial and away you go.
    This assumes you have a hosting account with PHP & MySQL or a test machine.

If you get stuck, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

outline of how easy it is to integrate with MySQL (which i know nothing about so far).

if you are talking about getting them running together try easyphp.org ...
    It installs php , apache and mysql in one install - massive time saver (esp when u beginning!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sign up at 3dbuzz.com, they've got a ton of video tutorials for setting up apache/php/mysql and once you've got them working, they show you how to do basic things like a php guestbook.
    It covers the groundwork and is very easy to follow.
    Some of the videos are for paying subscribers, but the php/sql ones are free once you've setup a basic free account.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Thanks for that Donkey Style. The video's on 3dbuzz where just what i was looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'm slowly getting to grips with the PHP but could someone give me an outline of how easy it is to integrate with MySQL (which i know nothing about so far).

Extremely easy. Probably THE easiest such setup. But please, please learn about SQL injection. Or I will have to come and shout at you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement