Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network Q's

• 14-09-2005 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi my linksys router just crapped out(BEFSR41) and Im looking at replacing it with a wireless setup.

Currently have
    ........................Cable Modem........................
    .............................|.............................
    ...........................Router..........................
    ............................/..\...........................
    ........................../......\.........................
    ......................../..........\.......................
    .....................1st PC........2nd PC..................

Will a wirless router + 2 wireless NIC's replace this, no hassle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

there's always a potential for hassle - but yes (AP+2nic's or AP/Router+2nics mebbe?) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Save posting up a new thread on a similar sort of query:
    Netgear Modem/Router
    |
    |
    Insanely long wire running accross rooms and hallway
    |
    |
    Linksys Router
    |      |
    |      |
    PC    PS2

Now, I have the various gear from moving houses and switching from DSL to Cable. Back to DSL now.

So, what possible solutions do I have? I suppose I can sell on some of the gear I currently have if needs be, but as the ps2 requires an ethernet cable connection, I'm guessing I'll need something like
    Modem
    |
    |
    Wireless something

Wireless something else
    |
    |
    Linksys Router
    |     |
    |     |
    PC  PS2

But I'd like it to be compatiable with a wireless card in a laptop as one may be in the house shortly. Any clues?
    Modem
    |
    |
    Wireless something (gateway?)

Wireless NIC
    |
    |
    PC

Wireless access point
    |
    |
    PS2

And then the laptop can pick up on the signal too? And I can sell the Linksys router?

Sorry if thats confusing, but anyone have any clues?

Cheers :)

Is there only one phone socket available? What sort of distance are we talking about (Size of house,distance from each other)

You could get a modem/wireless Router(AP) combo.. With at least one RJ45 (Ethernet) connection.
    Scenario: PS2 plugs into the RJ45 connection*, and then you connect as many wireless devices (including laptop)

Problem with this is that the PS2 would have to be physically located near the router,or else the length of cable persists. Unless you use something like and Ethernet bridge (Ex: Sony's DE30 (I'm sure it has been replaced at this stage) ) - in which case the PS2 is wireless also..

Broadband only works on the phone line in the kitchen, won't connect in the lounge! :eek: lol. Esat basically said tough shít when I asked about it.

It's probably just under 10 metres away I think. But the wire goes across the kitchen, down a length of hall, across stairs, and across the lounge, so its not the safest! :)

The PS2 and PC are in the same room, and am happy to have wire running between them, but with the wiring posing such an inconvenience from the kitchen, need to sort it! :)

Lookin at stuff here, would buying two of "Linksys WAP54G 54Mbps Wireless-G Access Point" and having one connected to the modem in the kitchen, and one connected to the router in the lounge work, and also allow a laptop?

Or would I be best off getting a wireless modem, and a wireless access point? And having:
    Wireless Modem

- Wireless AP - Wired Router - PC
                                 - PS2

- Wireless PCMIA card in laptop

I get a bit lost when I see Gateways and Access Points thrown all over the place on products ;)

Cheers for the reply :)

I don't have details on "Linksys WAP54G 54Mbps Wireless-G Access Point" - but an AP would have to be able to FWD:..
    The terminology ****s me up too ...
    AFAIK: current modem <-> Wireless Router [ (Router = acting as Bridge to facilitate Ethernet and Wireless components) with built-in AP would do the trick] <-> Ethernet (PS2) plugged into router? and <-> and PCMCIA,PCI,USB wireless card.
    In theory an AP can host an unlimited number of clients.

Explain in more detail how the PS2 is currently setup please..
    Any chance you could sketch a layout (scan, or mspaint even) - my head is fried and it's "teh weekend" :)

• Advertisement

Sorry, cheers for trying to help! ;)

That work? Make any form of sense? :)

i should have expected that :D

I'll have to go with first answer. Two options:
    A.
    two Access Points (AP) which support forwarding/bridging, to form a wireless distribution system.
    i.e:
    1 AP connects to the current modem/router
    1 AP (With at least 1 Ethernet/RJ45 connection) to connect the PS2 (Ethernet) & PC (Wireless NIC/"Card")
    Both AP would broadcast the same SSID. From a computers point of view - it only sees one wireless, and associates with which AP is broadcasting the stronger signal (This is probably going into too much detail, as the PS2 and PC will presumably always be physically closer to one AP)
    Pro:
    It's essentially extending,wirelessly, the current wired network,
    Better QOS presumably as wireless devices are physically located within close proximity.
    Con:
    Expense? (The cose of two AP may be more expensive than option B..i'll let you find out!),
    Complexity!

B:
    1 AP - to connect to the current router/modem
    1 NIC for the PC, and 1 wireless/ethernet converter/bridge (There are several products out there. Example: Sony's DE30 - presumably Sony would make sure they'd be compatible with a Playstation...)
    Reasoning: Essentially, you're making the current point of access to the Internet wireless - and connecting two clients (You can of course add more wireless clients in future)
    The notable problem with this is that the clients are not as close to an AP.. however, if it is only a few meteres - this shouldn't be a problem. To overcome possible problems: go with 802.11g (Presumably a gaming station needs more bandwidth/speed) and try to acquire wireless equipment with directional antennae, or at least the facility to add (To get a better signal strength).

I hope that makes sense. I cannot guarantee whether it's entirely correct either, and would gladly welcome feedback / opinions from anyone else!

Cheers for all your info and help :) I'll look into the pricing and try to get something sorted, will let you know how it all works out. Thanks again! :D

Advertisement