Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

waterford united offical thread

• 14-09-2005 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

i thought it would be a good idea because the team is in so much trouble that there is alot to talk bout

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

is paul mc grath still with these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

i dont know im not that big a fan i just go to all there matches

WOOT 100TH POST WOOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

pp_me129 wrote:
    i thought it would be a good idea because the team is in so much trouble that there is alot to talk bout

Well start talking so...
    Waterford United Football club would like to thank alll those who turned out on Friday evening to support the team. This support is crucial to the players and officials of the club as it emphasises the comitment of the Waterford people to league football in the city and county. Without this support the club is facing an uncertain future. This is a very difficult period both on and off the field but every single person at the club is 100% committed to Waterford United and each and every person, be they player or official, will fight to keep Waterford United in the Premier Division of the league and in football. We will need to work hard over the next ten weeks but it can be done. We need your unstinting support over these next few weeks. Please do your part to keep footbal alive and once again a sincere thanks for your help and support over the past few weeks. Stand Up if You Love The Blues!

Thats from the official site. I said in the last Waterford United thread that it was a shame how the attendances have plummeted. I've been to the RSC on a number of times and seen decent crowds, so it really is a shame.

Does anyone have figures on average attendances?

Good to see they have signed Rodney Jack, he banged in a few goals for Crewe and others cross-channel so he'll be a great boost in their quest to stay up. They haven't been banging in many goals since big Daryl left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Roddy23 wrote:
    is paul mc grath still with these?

Nope, Paul left the club sometime ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

cheers Kev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I dont normally go to Waterford United matches, but I think it'd be a shame for the club to close it doors altogether, so Im gonna go to all the home matches til the end of the season.

I have to say, I went to the Finn Harps match, and United were CR@P!! It dosnt take a classy brilliant player to close down the opposition and hassle them when they're on the ball. Even my girlfriend, whose first united match it was, said some interesting things like... "Is he so tired he cant be bothered?" once or twice. I think that summed it up.

The players need to put more emphasis on their own personal performance. When thats right, the team spirit will build naturally. Why would you chase every ball when the other players dont anyway.

Anyway, the best I can do is go fill a seat and dispense my infinite footballing knowledge :rolleyes: to the players as loud as I can.

Lets see how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

pp_me129 wrote:

You started this thread up about your supposed team waterford United , Why havent you once since replying or starting any threads have you not made any informative post about your club filling us in on what is going on , i love eircom league football everyone here knows that and really annoys me when people open up a thread like this for no reason other then up'ing theie post count ! You started this thread Why havent you filled us in ? Or why havent you "started talking" ? Now i have looked in a few places including one of My favorite we sites here and i cant find anything as dire as two or three people are saying about waterford , like pointed out before MANY clubs in ireland go through really bad patchs but no one has folded because they couldn't afford to keep runing ! Myclub were the first team to have everyone of their players on the transfer list we came through it there is no reason why you guys cant ! So if your going to start a thread like this present your facts ! other wise you just a troll and im going to report everyone of your posts as bad !

Sarge wrote:
    You started this thread up about your supposed team waterford United , Why havent you once since replying or starting any threads have you not made any informative post about your club filling us in on what is going on , i love eircom league football everyone here knows that and really annoys me when people open up a thread like this for no reason other then up'ing theie post count ! You started this thread Why havent you filled us in ? Or why havent you "started talking" ? Now i have looked in a few places including one of My favorite we sites here and i cant find anything as dire as two or three people are saying about waterford , like pointed out before MANY clubs in ireland go through really bad patchs but no one has folded because they couldn't afford to keep runing ! Myclub were the first team to have everyone of their players on the transfer list we came through it there is no reason why you guys cant ! So if your going to start a thread like this present your facts ! other wise you just a troll and im going to report everyone of your posts as bad !

Waterford United is going through a really bad patch at the moment. Its common knowledge at the moment ... at least it was when I was talking to a Finn Harps fan the other night.

A few people last night mentioned to me that they think it would actually help Waterford United as a business to be relegated, by cutting costs and rebuilding with players taken from the amateur leagues. Im not sure I agree with this.. but Id be interested in what your opinions are!

Trotter my post was not aimed at you but aimed at pp_me139 if you look at his replies on other threads not just this one you would undertsand , i stand by my views however firm they are if you make a statement be prepared to back it up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Trotter wrote:
    Thats so amazingly narky! Are you serious??? Waterford United is going through a really bad patch at the moment. Its common knowledge at the moment ... at least it was when I was talking to a Finn Harps fan the other night. There is nothing remotely close to trolling going on here.. I really think the mods need to tell YOU to relax a bit.
    I'm inclined to back Sarge up, opening a thread saying "lets talk about..." and then finishing after one sentence is a bit ridiculous. I considered reporting the post as spam but didn't bother (I'll get over it).

Btw, is John Frost still captaining United at the moment? he seems to get more then his fair share of injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He now with St. Pats.

I have to agree with Sarge on this one, the OP seemed like just an effort to reach 100 posts, look at the 3rd post ffs!

Still, its a shame what is happening to Waterford these days as they looked very impressive after they were promoted a few seasons back. European football didn't look beyond them but now its a distant dream.

And another thing just because i am ranting a lot lately id like feedback from the mods , on what they think of people sponsoring posters but yet they have never made a post in the soccer forum , i would like to think you have to reach a certain number of post in the forum before you can sponsor anyone ? what do the rest of you guys think ?

Agreed once again, perhaps the Mods should be PM'ed about this with a couple of examples.

yeah ill pm the idea now
    im on a roll today getting people to agree with me :)

*sarge for mod

Sarge wrote:
    if you make a statement be prepared to back it up !

Back it up how?

I just thought Waterford United's problems were an interesting thing to discuss. I agree with you that the OP could have added a bit about what he thought, still a discussion has to start somewhere.

Anyway Sarge, Im a lover not a fighter so I'd much prefer to discuss soccer with ya than anything else... all in a good natured calm way :) I agree if someone is upping their post count for the sake of it then its not the best thing to have going on, but it normally dosnt bother me. Fair enough if you think its a big deal, I wont argue.

Dundalk for the cup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

People already feel that that the access request mechanism is too strict. If we were to restrict people from sponsoring after they have gained access for a particualr time, tere would be uproar.
    Anyway as far as I know, you have to be a member of boards for at least 6 months before you can sponsor someone.
    I've had a quiet word with people before when i felt they were going overbaord with the sponsorship.
    If someone is here to just boost their post count, myself and T4TF will stamp down on it.
    Again, its peoples own responsibility to look into who they are sponsoring. It's plain stupid people sponsoring someone because of what team they support (which is what the majority of people base their decision on), the user could be a complete muppet. People have to take responsibilty for their own decisions to sponsor.

Trotter wrote:
    Back it up how?

I just thought Waterford United's problems were an interesting thing to discuss. I agree with you that the OP could have added a bit about what he thought, still a discussion has to start somewhere.

Anyway Sarge, Im a lover not a fighter so I'd much prefer to discuss soccer with ya than anything else... all in a good natured calm way :) I agree if someone is upping their post count for the sake of it then its not the best thing to have going on, but it normally dosnt bother me. Fair enough if you think its a big deal, I wont argue.

Dundalk for the cup :)

Trotter my auld mate , not once was i refering to you in any of my post i was having a go at people here just trying to up their post count not once was i refering to you i know from reading one or two of your post that you have a genunie interest in soccer and eircom league and i love having a discussion with anyone like this . My post were for pp_me129

and dundalk are out of teh cup but hey thanks for reminding me :(

Waterford UTD.

GET OUT OF THE RSC.

ITS KILLING THE CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5-0 to shelbourne (cant even speel cos so shocked) GOOD MOTHER

• Advertisement

Read my post in the EL Action thread. Waterford are DOOMED...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im hearing rumblings that Pat Dolan could be headed to Waterford in some capacity.

If true, which I doubt, it could be great for Waterford, as like him or loathe him, Dolan is larger than life (no pun intended :rolleyes: ), and is a very charismatic character. He could raise the profile of the club long term, but short term he would instill a fighting beleif to the players that they can stay up.

If true, I hope it works out for all involved.

Where did you hear this? :confused:

gimmick wrote:
    Im hearing rumblings that Pat Dolan could be headed to Waterford in some capacity.

If true, which I doubt, it could be great for Waterford, as like him or loathe him, Dolan is larger than life (no pun intended :rolleyes: ), and is a very charismatic character. He could raise the profile of the club long term, but short term he would instill a fighting beleif to the players that they can stay up.

If true, I hope it works out for all involved.

He's on his way he'll be at the match on friday

Could this be great times for Waterford

I do hope so

2-0 to waterford go on you good thing

here's what RTE thought

Pat Dolan enjoyed a winning start to life at Waterford as the Blues produced the upset of the night, beating Bohemians 2-0 at the RSC.

After going 18 league games without a victory, United opened the scoring in controversial circumstances on 35 minutes.

The entire Bohs defence stood back thinking Rodney Jack was offside but Vinnie Sullivan kept going after latching on to Pat Purcell's long pass and stroked the ball into the net as goalkeeper Matt Gregg made no attempt to save.

Assistant referee Gary Howlett had his flag raised but referee Anthony Buttimer overruled his assistant and, to howls of protest from the Bohemians' players and mentors, awarded the goal.

Such was the level of dissention in the immediate aftermath, Bohemians' assistant manager Gary Howlett was shown a red-card by the referee and sent to the stand.

Two minutes before half-time, United increased their lead when Paul Crowley knocked the rebound to the net after Gregg did well to parry a rasping, low shot from Sullivan.

United concentrated on maintaining their lead in the second half but, on 75 minutes, Mark Keane went close to reducing the deficit when he blazed over the bar from close range after Aidan O'Keeffe's intitial effort was blocked down.

A minute later, United almost increased their lead when Steven Grant was pulled down just outside the area by Aidan Collins. Colm Heffernan took the free and his powerful shot curled around the defensive wall but shaved the outside of the far upright.

Not quite sure of the veracity of this rumour, but Mr Dolan fee is quite incredible, if true. €10 for his advisory role until the seasons end. if Waterford stay up, he gets a further €40k :eek:

While I do hope Waterford stay up, I hope they are not spending too much in trying to do so, therefore screwing them completely before next season even starts.

gimmick wrote:
    €10 for his advisory role until the seasons end

A tenner? Nice!

Seriously though, Waterford must definitely be going for broke. €40k is a hell of a lot if they stay up. Could be detrimental for next seasons campaign.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    A tenner? Nice!

:D LOL :D Sarky git!

• Advertisement

i truely hope that he comes to dundalk next season , ive seen and spoke with him twice at oriel this season .

From what the rumour mill says is that Roddy is off to St Pats and Dolan is off to Rovers.

Sarge, ye're manager is doing a decent enough job, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

gimmick wrote:
    Not quite sure of the veracity of this rumour, but Mr Dolan fee is quite incredible, if true. €10 for his advisory role until the seasons end. if Waterford stay up, he gets a further €40k :eek: .

A story from the bar stool brigade who preferred to watch Manure on tv than go to the biggest game of the domestic season last November at lansdowne.
    WUFC have about 400 genuine supporters who would literally sell their soul for the club but its the joe public type who has left the club down.
    Fantastic history attached to the LOI side in waterford, 6 leagues in 8 years & big Euro days v ManUre, Celtic & galatasaray amongst others.
    The Blues will survive & anyone reading this in the area should make a real effort to get to the RSC before the close of the current season.

Advertisement