Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Level choice question

Options
  • 14-09-2005 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

I got my JC results today and I got an A in ordinary level. I'm considering oding honors now for the leaving, as I had done the honours course in the JC but dropped after the mocks.

Would anyone think that this would be a wise thing to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Well the Honours course in the Junior Cert is similar to the Pass leaving Cert one...

You did get an A... but the question is did you find you had to work for it?

If you didnt maybe you should consider Honours for your leaving...
    I you did have to work allot to get that A its very unlikely that you will get an A in honours LC maths...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, I didn't need that much cathcing up when I dropped, but then again I found the pass course very easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

This is the trouble with dropping down levels when you are capable of higher. On paper all you have is an A in Ordinary Level - we'll never know what you would have got at Higher.

Your teachers however, will have a fair idea - how did you do in the mocks at Higher Level?

The Higher Level Junior Cert. Maths course is the foundation of the Higher Level Leaving Cert. course - you'd want to be fairly comfortable with it before going on to do very well in Higher at Leaving. Would an A at Ordinary Level be suitable for whatever you want to do after school? Do you 'need' to do Higher (allowing that it brings with it extra work etc.)?

Well done on your A, by the way, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Without repeating any previous advice, provided you are capable of doing higher level for the LC of course.

I'm assuming you're in TY? You have a year to catch up on anything you missed and get grinds or whatever is necessary to get yourself up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not all that familiar with the Ordinary level maths course for JC, would you need to cover the Higher level JC material first? You should definately look into that aspect.

If you're in TY, go for it. Worst that can happen is that you'll have to drop down to ordinary.

But if you're in 5th, and you have catching up to do on JC stuff, then I wouldn't risk it. It's a big **** off course, and if you're going to have to get stuff before it you mightn;t have the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

he learned most of the course as he only dropped after the mocks

so i'd go for higher and work that little bit to keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Your best bet would be to sit down with your teacher and discuss it with him/her. The thing about H Maths is that unlike history where you can cram to catch up, its mostly figuring it out yourself, which takes time. If you think you're able for it and have a fairly mathematical mind, go for it. The worst that happens is you drop down to pass, which you know you'll be able to do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well try honours in 5th year anyway... you can drop at any time but doing higher level (and getting an honour) will open up some options for college that wouldn't be available to you otherwise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yea, the best idea is to try Honours for a while. It has to be said though, the pass and honours course are miles away. Honours can be quite difficult and requires lots of hours. If you don't like maths, don't do it. If you do like it though, it can be -dare i say it- enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Can I ask why did you drop down to ordinary level after the mocks? Was it cause you didn't have the time to spend on the higher course or was it cause you were struggling badly? If you were struggling badly then I'd say you'll do the same with the LC course. Why don't you talk to your maths teacher? Or talk to the teacher of the ordinary level? Does he/she do the course in any particular order? E.g. I know there's some things on the OL paper that aren't on the HL one... if they were done while you were up in the H class and dropped down later would you have time to cover them given that you'll be doing at least 5 other subjects? Personally I did HL maths and I'd have to say even though I was never going to be doing it for points, I spent a lot of time on it, even if you understand the stuff in class you need to practice a lot of questions etc.

At the end of the day you're the only one who can make the decision, I was just mentioning a few things for you to think about. Congrats on the A btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The King

my sister was in d same position,she did pass 4 d jc and got a b3 in honours in d leaving,u shud give it a try anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Give it a shot, you can change up until the time you get your exam paper, so loadsa time, lol... Ordinary maths is a piece of p*ss, so it's probably worth trying honours at least, if you got an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Caprisun

i dont think you should bother. everyone i've ever spoken to that did honours maths for the leaving cert moaned about how much effort it was. that is, except for those who were numerically gifted. I was one of those who did it for fifth year and part of sixth and then dropped down. it takes up so much time and theres way more homework, unless you need the qualification for a certain course i'd use the time to concentrate on the other 5 or 6 subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

I got an A in higher level for the JC. im now in 5th year doin higher and im only half way through the 1st chapter, i find it very difficult.
    A lot of people are dropping already and even the teacher is advising people who got less than an A/B at honours to drop.
    She put it this way.Anyone in our class would probably be able for an A1/A2 at pass.An A1 at pass is equal to a C3 at higher.the higher C3 takes a lot more time and effort though.The question is how well do you think u can do at higher???
    Im waiting til my christmas exams as some sort of measure to seehow i can do.......

Advertisement