Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit "the other side"

Options
  • 14-09-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Here's your chance to lurk on a loyalist forum. Perhaps even have some fruitful discussions? Please, no trolls ans such carry-on !!!!!

You can listen to flute bands and loyalist songs since it's also a webradio.

http://www.caltonradio.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

why bother? may as well visit BS CIRA sites as visit that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

beaten to it, provo and republican websites are as distasteful to the your average person as any loyalist site is,its pathetic to be talking about "sides".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Some of it is funny.. getting up in arms because "scum" (thier quote) are wearing masks or combats and class it as "Breaking the law". Funny they don't find destroying a city, robbing OAPs or seriously injuring children breaking the law.

"pent up rage" my bollox. More like premeditated terrorism.
    why bother? may as well visit BS CIRA sites as visit that one...

Exactly.. its a lot like a toned down version of Stormfront. Just disgraceful that some of the people posting on it claim to be representing all prod/unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Look a bit closer Hobbes. There is dissent and disagreement on that site. Those who robbed those OAPs are criticised by some on that board. I've started a discussion in 'politics' anyway. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

murphaph wrote:
    Look a bit closer Hobbes. There is dissent and disagreement on that site. Those who robbed those OAPs are criticised by some on that board. I've started a discussion in 'politics' anyway. See how it goes.

I looked at a fair few threads and the majority seem to think they are the ones hard done by for petrol bombing/shooting police. One even goes as far to say "The orange order had nothing to do with it and they have no proof". I mean ffs, they have live footage which they keep showing on TV of orange order members joining in with the violence.

• Advertisement

It's a Loyalist site. I'm sure you'll find similar but different on Republican sites, but they don't all agree with each other. I found a few bannings had been made of those who used abusive language too, so it is moderated to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It seems to be rather similar to the rubbish spouted by fans of the republican variety of child-exploders, tbh. Fanatics on any side tend to be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

I registered and had a good debate with a few Loyalists but was banned.

hill16 wrote:
    I registered and had a good debate with a few Loyalists but was banned.
    Did they say why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bluefin221

There was no need to say why, he promoted us here:

http://other site

Asking people to register and stir up trouble its disappointing considering many of our users would feel a bit intimidated that the admin and mods are allowing people who are not sympathetic to our views on our system, but we have discussed it between the mods and believe that everyone deserves a chance, but this sort of thing will ruin it for everyone.

Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bluefin welcome to boards. Let me know if anyone from here acts the bollix and I will have words with them. Please hang around and join in I would welcome your opinion and input on threads here.

Thanks for the welcome gandalf I can't be sure if anyone here actually contributed to some of the less friendly threads, we did have one guy today totally abuse the system but I think that resulted in the thread from Hill16 which was posted on a different website from here, so Hill16 has also been banned but I don't think that should affect his membership here, but thats your call.

Generally anyone from this site has been positive and friendly and just curious, I'm aware of the bad press we receive as Loyalists and I hope that perhaps some of the guys might understand why people get so frustrated, we do try to moderate the site but there has to be an element to freedom of speech for anyone but down right abuse should not be tolerated on any website.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Howya Bluefin? Welcome to boards. I was the one inviting people over to your site after I had lurked there for months, mostly on the music section. The intention was for us to get a different perspective on discussions here on boards and, of course, to give your forum our "southern" input.

Having Scottish relatives I'm mad for pipes and drums music, may even go up for a Battle of the bands comp.

I hope you'll find people here mostly open and friendly. Even though we are of different persuasions we can still benefit from discussion.

Welcome to boards bluefin! As Gandalf says, stick around and give your personal views including your Loyalist views on things. It's good to talk and all that.

Bluefin221 wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome gandalf I can't be sure if anyone here actually contributed to some of the less friendly threads, we did have one guy today totally abuse the system but I think that resulted in the thread from Hill16 which was posted on a different website from here, so Hill16 has also been banned but I don't think that should affect his membership here, but thats your call.

Generally anyone from this site has been positive and friendly and just curious, I'm aware of the bad press we receive as Loyalists and I hope that perhaps some of the guys might understand why people get so frustrated, we do try to moderate the site but there has to be an element to freedom of speech for anyone but down right abuse should not be tolerated on any website.

Hmmm
    I've never visited your site.
    However I did just click on the thread that you linked to and then clicked on caltonradio.com from there and got this
    You have been blocked from entering this site.

Your Referer in not allowed to refer to this site.

All of the following information has been gathered to assist the webmaster should this need to be reported to local or federal law enforcement.

If you think this is a mistake you can contact the site webmaster at admin(at)caltonradio(dot)com.

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040803 MultiZilla/1.6.4.0b
    Remote Address: ************
    Client IP: none
    Forwarded For: none
    Date Blocked: 2005-09-17 @ 03:34:47 CDT GMT -0500
    Block expires: Permanent
    You are blocking all ip addresses that enter via that other link so I've edited it.

Bluefinn I would like to know why I was banned from your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I was unware we had federal law enforcement just yet. :)

But I can understand them blocking a referer they believe is out to cause trouble; a lot of sites do this when targeted by http://somethingawful.com, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I cant figure out what kind of site it is... it is a paramilitary site or just a news site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

its a site to a loyalist music online radio station. some of the songs are a bit distastful alright, although some of the **** the likes the wolfetones come out with could be considered equally distastful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Something funny I noticed on that site, is a "Request Ban" button, where you can actually request that a member is banned. I've never seen that on any other forum before.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its a site to a loyalist music online radio station. some of the songs are a bit distastful alright, although some of the **** the likes the wolfetones come out with could be considered equally distastful.

some of the billyboy stuff is a lot worse than those tuneless bigoted ****s in the wolfetones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

If I wasn't a Republican I would say good site. But I am so I won't.

hill16 wrote:
    Bluefinn I would like to know why I was banned from your site.

Because you wanted people to register and stir up some ****, as webmaster this is not acceptable to me, I/we on the site have opened op our doors to some debate/discussion and some have joined hell bent on causing problems.

I will not allow it and will remove anyone out to "stir up some ****" as you so elegantly put it on that other site.

A totally justified banning and the same would happen on boards if you did that here I'll bet. I have been debating (and generally exchanging information and points of view) over on caltonradio.com and have had a fine welcome, even from those who disagree with me. Trolling is the ruination of discussion fora like this and banning is the only medicine.

What site are you talking about Bluefin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

check out these blogs for loyalists views on the north, courtesy of the sunday tribune

www.loveulster.com

www.atangledweb.typepad.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭seedot

I agree Jackanory.

Send the bastards back if they don't like our laws here in the civilized word.

And if our nations flags offend them, just take em out and shoot em, one bullet to head, simple, one shot, one kill, one dead head rag head at a time.

We should bomb their countries, take their oil and convert them to Christianity (Protestant Christianity). If they don't like it, shoot em dead.

They are savages, nothing but filthy animals.

Is this type of post typical of carltonradio?

I'm involved in another internet forum which is looking at trying to involve some people from the north - but was wondering how typical the above post on a thread about Canada is? The Thread

seedot wrote:
    Is this type of post typical of carltonradio?

I'm involved in another internet forum which is looking at trying to involve some people from the north - but was wondering how typical the above post on a thread about Canada is? The Thread

I can't find that post? One of the mods must have taken it off as it should be, so to answer your question although some posters will have extreme views this is not a typical post.

What has to be remembered by a load of you guys in here is that some of our posters have real life experiences with Republicans and the very thought of sharing a site with them causes problems. One of my members for example has been physically scared for life by Republicans so I'm sure you can probably understand why they think they are scum. Some of our members stay in interface areas and have there houses attacked daily once again I'm sure you can understand why they would call Republicans scum.

I can continue posting examples however I'm fully aware that you can reverse everything I have said and for every Loyalist who has been murdered, had a beating then you can point to a Republican and say they same. But in honesty mixing sites never generally works and I can't see it working on our site either as at the end of the day it is a Loyalist site and will remain that way. Regardless of how I feel about debate and discussion members make the site and if mine no longer wish to engage in debate with anyone bar themselves then thats the way it will be.

Personally I would recommend sites that actually set up for cross community discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭seedot

Correct Link

Sorry about that.

I think I would agree with you on attempts to merge different boards - an online community develops it's own culture and even language regardless of how homogenous the original group was. When you start with a group that already has these attributes, newbies from outside that culture tend to just be an annoyance - adding nothing to the group (in terms of the original purpose of the group) but forcing people to defend their views and explain their language etc. etc. for no real reason they can see.

However, I think the interest from Boards and others with a southern focus in loyalism is because we honestly don't understand what is happening in Belfast and the wider community. Personally, I refuse to believe that hundreds of people coming out onto the streets of any city is just criminals or troublemakers or whatever the spin is... this is a political act from people who have grievances and no other channels to express them.

Which of the cross-community fora you mention are effective places for loyalists to state their grievances without being shouted down for being violent or whatever?

(btw - i posted the above quote just to try and figure out the moderation policy on the site - it's still there as of 10.15 Monday)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maskhadov wrote:
    check out these blogs for loyalists views on the north, courtesy of the sunday tribune

www.loveulster.com

One very good thread (and there may be more ) on that site about the 'parades' issue and the hard core billyboy bands and their pissed chav following . It shows that the Unionist community are very aware of the element that causes problems and that they do not generally condone it .

http://www.loveulster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=721

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement