Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL what to do!!!

Options
  • 14-09-2005 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭

ok, a few months ago my GF rang up ntl to cancel the service. as we had gone over the 1 year cotract minimum and are in a rented house and no one ever watches ntl we decided to cancel.

anyway she rang up and said she wanted to cancel. they asked for the account info and she told them, but since it was in someone elses name who had moved out they asked her for her name and stuff. well she asked if she could cancel and then they said she had a contract and couldnt cancel its 12 months minimum. she said it was over the 12 months and they said that cos she had given her details that it was now a contract. in my view no way in hell was it. anyway i got onto them later when i got home and they said it was sorted. anyway we still got bills for 2 more months from them and so i rang them up to say we had cancelled. they said ok. the again we got a reminder and i rang up again to say we had cancelled it so i wasnt paying they said it was sorted. then a woman called to tell us we owed money and i explained to her what happened and that we didnt owe it and then once again she said everything was ok.

now we have gotten a letter from a cash flow service saying we owe the 81 euro and change and we have 7 days to pay or someone will call to the house to sort a collection.

now i rang the cash flow and left a message as it was after hours when i got home and i will probably get a call tomorrow as i left a long message on the answering machine and explained the situation and said that if i get another letter i will contact a solicitor as it is harrasment or something( i didnt say 'or something').

i just need advice as to how far i should take this. as it has gone to cash flow services i think her credit will be damaged in some way. am i right or wrong... any help will be appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to Consumer Issues.

Sounds annoying mate, hope it gets sorted soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Tough one!
    One thing I can tell you is that NTL probably won't deal with you any more on this (unless it goes to court). NTL, like many other companies, sell off all their "debt" to other companies, and then wash their hands of it. It's then up to the "other company" to collect the money, if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I suggest going round to their office and blowing your top! I did this when I discovered a mobile phone company wouldn't cover an expensive mobile on the insurance when I lost it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

And what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

An upsurge in his email & IM usage I'd say! lol

I'm surprised at NTL, they're customer server is usually so good........ahahaha, sorry couldn't keep it up. I'm with them ages now & not a great experience but they're internet access via cable modem is flawless so i put up with the drawbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there was a previous thread with this exact (more or less) same thing where they sold the debt to these cowboys.

since you didn't sign anything or agree to a new contract what they are doing is illegal. send a letter of complaint to the consumer affairs office (http://www.odca.ie/) and make sure you forward the letter (recorded delivery) to both ntl and the collection guys too and make it very clear that you expect it to be sorted out between them very quickly or you will be taking it further.

make it very clear in your letter what you expect to get done, and that the only correspondence you expect to recieve from either party is a letter of apology telling you how sorry they both are for acting illegally and that it's fixed.

EDIT: oh, and that any negative comments relating to the 'this ridiculous farce' (always good to include, make them feel stupid) be expunged from your credit record (with written proof that this has been done also).
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

thanks for the help guys. the cowboy.lol. rang me yesterday and i explained for ages what happened and he was trying to get off the phone for ages but i just kept on talking. he said he would contact ntl and get back to me but as of yet no reply. when he calls back i will definately say it to him about the bad credit that might now be on my gf's name and will tell him i expect it to be rectified and an apoology sent out to me in writing and also that the credit thing has been rectified sent to me in writing also.

once again thanks for the replies and ill keep you updated.

Advertisement