Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT in the Primary School Curriculum

Options
  • 14-09-2005 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I would have preferred to post this in the education forum, but no place for primary so I'm sticking it here because it concerns younger kids....

I've noticed that there is a complete lack of IT education in primary schools. Now with Broadband imminent (!!!????!!!!) and networking grants for all schools and teacher education centres offering loads of IT courses and the NCTE having excellent IT resources, Scoilnet and all the rest... you would presume that our children were at least getting an introduction to using computers and using them for other than gaming... (First of all I know that some schools actually do use IT)

I have two boys - 3rd and 4th class - and they've never used a computer outside of this house... My younger one even got marked good on his school report for IT work last year and when asked what he did he proclaimed "Nothing"... !!! So is it all a myth and if not why are some schools getting the benefits and others not, is it teacher dependent? If its part of the curriculum then why is it so adhoc. I know other parents with kids in other schools who have similar opinions. And does anyone know how to go about addressing this issue... I have no intention of warring with teachers but advice would be nice.
    PS - Have no other complaints about the school as it is quite good every other way, just finding it hard to get the kids into doing educational stuff here at home because they don't have any back-up in school, Are they all waiting for BB cause I know it will really help, has with me at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a pc room in my childrens primary school.
    As far as I am aware each class gets a 30 min session a week.
    They are taught in jr infants basic mouse skills.

Why not ask about what they are doing.
    I know the school mine are has the curriculum advailible
    for all prarents to look over.
    Why not ask thier teacher ?

Advertisement