Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

v. persie red card

• 14-09-2005 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

deserved?

its a very high tackle but seemingly no intent so im going undeserved. im just wondering how the suspension will go. will uefa step in and reduce/cancel the ban?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

totally deserved, he nearly took the guys face off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Just because it wasn't intentional doesn't mean he shouldn't have been sent off. He didn't mean to do it, granted, but it was dangerous play, very dangerous play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was dangerous, but I don't think there was any intent. So I think maybe undeserved. But you know what they say about Europe, foot in the air will always be a free kick, so by those standards it's not really surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Maybe no intent but it was extremly dangerous and he almost took the dudes head off. Had to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think the referee was the only person in Europe who thought that incident deserved any kind of card-related punishment. You can see in the replays that Van Persie is looking at the ball coming over his shoulder the whole time, and never even sees the Thun player.

Insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never a red card. He made an honest attempt to win the ball, that while it resulted in an injury for an opponent, was in no way malicious. A yellow card at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No way it was a red, yellow definately for a high foot but he wasnt tryign to do him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Unintentional high boot... yellow card at most.

If there was intent to take the guys head off, then yes red, but there was no intent there at all.

The ref will look at the tape and see his mistake. Im sure it will be downgraded to a yellow if that can be done in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

That Bergkamp goal was f*cking deadly though. Pure class. Up there with his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

He had his eyes on the ball, until the last second - literally when he kicked the defender in the face. A yellow, i would've said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

its a tough call. for once i dont think van persie meant any harm. what had wenger to say about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

He thought it was unintentional as well, and thought that the red was harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

what had wenger to say about it?

Did he see it?! ;)

Mike.

i notice vieira got sent off in the 89th minute for juve. what happened there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

definately should have been a yellow imo

2nd yellow. he lifted hs leg into a player going by him on the halfway line. Hes a gob****e, it was a totally pointless excercise.

1st yellow was a nothing foul.

Speaking of red cards, rooney is a bloody child.

just saw vieira's there now. stupidity in the 89th minute. rooney was extremely childish. jopefully this red card means he learns to grow up a bit and act like a pro who wants to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Rooneys great ! he's a legend!!! v.pissi was right to be sent off ... twat what was he thinking..

Rooneys great ! he's a legend!!! v.pissi was right to be sent off ... twat what was he thinking..

s**t stirrer be gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well just back from the Westmoreland Pub after watching it with other Dublin Gooners and for fecks sake no way man

Vp was watching the ball but typical european refs foot high its a card. Ok maybe a yellow at least

On another note please Arsene tell them to not walk the ball into the net one pass to far for fecks sake SHOOT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

totally deserved, he nearly took the guys face off..
    So its all about luck? If nobody was behind van Persie he deserved a yellow? A high foot is a yellow full stop. The reason its a yellow is because its dangerous play. Its also dangerous for a keeper to come out and punch a ball in a packed box. If he hits someone unintentionally it doesn't mean he has to be sent off. If he did it on purpose its obviously a red but he clearly had his eye on the ball and no way could have seen the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You are banned for a week as are your sponsors, I will quote them here in a min.

Pal and Mad m

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yellow for sure, very unlucky.

Ya Mike65 he for once did see it and the goal believe it or not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

No more then a yellow. Absolutely no intent in that challenge, he didn't even know the guy was behind him! watching the ball all the way. Unlucky, he is a really good player and that was a big chance for him to impress.
    The Frenchman was quick to defend Van Persie after the Dutch forward was given his marching orders for going in with his studs against Thun defender Alen Orman.

The challenge left the former Hibernian player with a nasty cut on his head, although Wenger felt it was an unintentional clash that did not merit a red card for the Arsenal star.

"It was not Robin's fault - there was no purpose. He wanted to play the ball," he stated.

"He got a high ball, and never saw the opponent, never looked somewhere else than at the ball - it was an accident.

"For me, it is never a red card."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

deserved?

its a very high tackle but seemingly no intent so im going undeserved. im just wondering how the suspension will go. will uefa step in and reduce/cancel the ban?

I don't think there was any intention in what he did but was very dangerous. For arguements sake if that guy had lost an eye last night people would have been on here calling for him to be banned for life etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And for arguments sake had he won the ball with nobody near him kept it in and then ran on to score a goal then he would have been the best player in world football ever. H went for and got the ball, there was a guy there, should have been a yellow for dangerous play, he had no intent to injure the player who he did not even know was there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There was definitely no intent in there at all and it warranted a yellow card at the most. He clearly had his eye on the ball the whole time and never saw the player. It was obviously a total accident and never was it a red card. If he had took the players eye out it still wouldnt have warranted a red card as again it still would have been an accident. very bad decision by the referee.

Arsenal were very lucky. they need to buy someone with the ability to head the ball so that they can cross the ball in and not try and walk it in all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just saw it, can't believe people think it justified a red. Totally concentrating on the ball, the only thing I find amazing is that he could get his foot that high! Certainly a yellow card for me.

Highlights here
    A Slight Difference Of Interpretation
    'And then came Van Persie's dismissal for a foul that was more misfortune than misdeed. With his eyes focused firmly on the ball the Holland international soared in an attempt to trap it in mid-air' - The Times.

'It appeared inadvertent, and surely was, but the Polish referee Grzegorz Gilewski instantly showed the red card' - The Independent.

'Malice played no part in Van Persie's thinking...The Dutchman was clearly focusing solely on the ball as he raised his boot high off the ground....no nasty intent could be detected in Van Persie's actions. The missing Henry has made a habit of plucking the ball athletically out of the air' - The Daily Telegraph.

'Robin van Persie saw red for a shocking head-high challenge at Highbury last night. FC Thun's Alen Orman was left with blood pouring from face wounds after the Dutch hotshot's 44th-minute lunge' - The Sun.

Funny stuff altogether.

If anything the defender was a bit thick. Van Persie was looking behind him at teh ball, the defender was running towards VP and stuck his head at the ball knowing VP foot was there. Bit thick or commited? maybe a bit of each. Or maybe he was looking up and didnt see vp, i dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

'Robin van Persie saw red for a shocking head-high challenge at Highbury last night. FC Thun's Alen Orman was left with blood pouring from face wounds after the Dutch hotshot's 44th-minute lunge' - The Sun

Obviously the Sun reporter is not an Arsenal fan. That's the kind of unbiased reporting we have come to expect from the sun. :p

He probably thought that Rooney deserved to stay on too ;)

Advertisement