Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype with Bluetooth Headset

• 14-09-2005 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get my bluetooth headset to work with Skype but with no joy. The dongle and PC is picking up the headset but I can't get it to work with Skype. Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

There should be some setting to activate the blutooth device as an audio gateway.
    What make is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

The computer needs to show a bluetooth audio device. Select it as ur audio device in Skype and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I recently got my motorola hs850 headset working with my computer on a standard voip setup. The key thing for me was to upgrade to version 4 of the widcomm drivers. They aren't available yet for the particular dongle I am using so I used a hacked generic version - this is the google cache to save you registering for mp3car...

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:vWi_ipYLpBoJ:www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-35927.html+widcomm+version+4+mp3car&hl=en&client=firefox-a

I followed those instructions exactly and my headset then worked. The following are also relevant :-

- I chose the headset profile rather than the audio gateway profile.

- In xten (the softphone I was using for voip) I chose "bluetooth audio" for both speaker and mic.

- Note that prior to upgrading to v4 of widcomm, xten did show the "bluetooth audio" option but the headset appeared to drop the connection immediately after it was made.

- Finally, unless it is for very occassional use (or for testing voip which is what I was doing), its probably not worth it - at least with the HS850, there is no easy way to switch between using the headset with the computer and with your phone. When you use it with one, it defaults to pairing with that from then on. To switch it, you need to re-pair from the other device. So, after using it with the computer you would need to go into your phones bluetooth menu and re-connect the headset from there. Ideally of course the headset would answer on a first come first served basis but mine doesn't work like that .

Hope that helps.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Getting bluetooth headsets to work with winxp can be a painful experience. I did get my bluetooth headset working with Skype but to be honest, the quality was so bad I binned the idea. Probably 90% the fault of the headset itself. I'm now using a wireless dualphone with Skype and it's the dogs wobbly bits.

TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Cheers guys, got it working. There does seem to be a lot of static in the background. Where did you get the wireless phone from??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Vyse wrote:
    Cheers guys, got it working. There does seem to be a lot of static in the background. Where did you get the wireless phone from??

I got it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00092ZILA/qid=1126857961/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl/026-0027014-4714858

It really is a brilliant piece of kit. Once it's configured it automatically connects to Skype once your PC is turned on and you can scroll through your contacts from the phone and make phone calls directly on your phone through skype. It also doubles as a normal phone by hooking it up to a phone line if need be. The voice quality on the phone is really really good.

TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Found this thread interesting. But I don't have a bluetooth headset.

But heres my idea. I could be wide of the mark.
    Instead of exporting the bluetooth audio/microphone to a bluetooth headset.

Is it possible to export it directly to my mobile phone? I have a bluetooth enabled with a TDK bluetooth driver.

Any thoughts on this? As I said, my idea could be wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

The short answer is no, tho some of the newer smartphones may be able/hackable to do this. Bottom line is that mobile phone makers (or prolly more likely the service providers who subsidize most phones) don't want them doing a whole lot more than making calls - especially not making calls via another route than the provider :) There is no technical reason afaik why this shouldn't be possible, its just not provided for in the phones firmware.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 remoteworker

Has anyone used the bluewalker VOIP kit as I'm thinking of buying one but I'd like to know if it's any good first.

http://bluewalker.de/uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=46
    - select English in the box at the top

Advertisement