Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lucas Arts Adventure Games

Options
  • 15-09-2005 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Any of you play the old Lucas Arts adventure games like Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Loom was always my favorite.

I just loved the way it made use of music to make the whole magic system work.. and it had such a sad ending too.

Bobbin Threadbare was a wonderful character... and the whole thing came on just 3 floppy discs compared to Monkey Island 2's 11..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

full throttle and day of the tentacle were personal faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lucas Arts adventure games rocked, I miss those days.

Grim Fandango was great aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Indiane Jones and the fate of Atlantasis was my favourite game as a child - its the one i remember most vividly. I mainly remember the frustrating weeks i had trying to figure out how to free the girl (was her name Sophia?) from the prison cell near the end in Atlantis. I just couldn't do it for weeks, tried everything.Then i found the big metal pin and hey presto.

Fantastic game. SO many great bits, like where you have to use the surveyors equipement in the ruins on the island, or your first fight, with the bouncer dude in the alley. And the whip was class, swingin across the ravines and stuff. Ahhhhhhh nostalgia. I hadn't thought about that game in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... compared to Monkey Island 2's 11..
    Are you sure about this? As far as I can remember, MI1 was 3 disks, MI2 was 5, DotT was 6 and Sam'n'Max was 6 or 7....

Great games, though.. Lucasarts were the kings of the point'n'click.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

TmB wrote:
    Are you sure about this? As far as I can remember, MI1 was 3 disks, MI2 was 5, DotT was 6 and Sam'n'Max was 6 or 7....

It was 11 on the Amiga anyway. And there was no where to install it so you were constantly swaping the discs backwards and forwards.

Monkey Island 2 was particularly bad as you'd have to switch the discs about 5 times in order to see Largo's spit travel across the room. I always felt the Simon the Sorceror game, also on 11 discs, seemed to be layed out a lot better, as it didn't require all that swapping.

Fortunately I had a a PC with a 'Quad-speed' CD-ROM drive to play Day of the Tenticle, Samn'n'Max and The Dig.

The Dig was another one that I really enjoyed. There aren't enough decent science fiction computer games, but this was great with it's lovely alien landscapes....

Oh how I hated that puzzle were you had to assemble the bones of an dead alien creature and then use a life crystal on it to bring it back to life.. but if one bone was out of place it would cry out in pain and then melt... that one drove me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

TmB wrote:

The Amiga/ST version of MI2 came on a crazy amount of disks. MI2 on the PC came on 5, which came to a whopping 11 megs when installed. I had to uninstall windows 3.1 when I wanted to play it. God damn that 40 megabyte hard drive on my beast of a 386SX 20mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah that makes sense. I think amiga disks were only double density....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fantastic!
    I still have Sam & Max. Played it through last month I think.
    Day of the Tenticle was the other one I had.
    Brilliant storyline and content.
    I saw a Sam and Max and Day of the Tenticle double pack in a few shops last year on budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Just to remind people that forgot (and some that might not know):

http://www.scummvm.org

In case ye want to run the old classic LucasArts games on a Windows system (or Linux, or a PDA)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have them all at home except full throttle but haven't had the time to play them. They are all fantastic games and it is such a pity that there are so few being made now and especially that none are being made by lucas arts. Played the Monkey Island games a bit and loved every minute of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I finished Sam and Max and Beneath a Steel Sky and I really enjoyed them. Always wanted to play the dig! Sometimes scanning screen after screen with the mouse cursor became a little bit tedious in that genre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Loved the monkey islands, sam and max, indiana jones & the fate of atlantis, full throttle, grim fandango, day of the tentacle. So bloody funny

did anyone here play indiana jones and the last crusade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Maniac Mansion was my favourite -- that damned tentacle plant and the crazy granny :)

Had it on Amiga back in the day, used to love it. I remember a couple of levels: going across the train carriages @ the beginning, a level set inside a blimp, and the final bits in the cave, when ya had to jump on the right tiles etc like in the movie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Keith Whitener

They were planning on doing 3D versions of Sam and Max and Full Throttle. Not sure about the latter, but I know the former was aborted. I saw a clip of the new Sam and Max and it looked great, but then they just killed the project.

Here's a great game that you can download for free. It's also a point and click. It's calleed

Adventures of Fatman: Toxic Revenge, The
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4485

It's free and high quality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes. I think I've played all of Lucas' adventure games - besides Day of the Tentacle, and Loom, never got my bloody hands on them.

Praetorian wrote:
    Beneath a Steel Sky

Not at Lucas Arts game btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I think I got em all apart from Loom. Indy and the last crusade was good but I must say that I preferred the Fate of Atlantis. DOTT was a fav, of course, as was Sam n' Max. All classic games! (Especially the Monkey series :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I have them all at home except full throttle but haven't had the time to play them. They are all fantastic games and it is such a pity that there are so few being made now and especially that none are being made by lucas arts. Played the Monkey Island games a bit and loved every minute of them.
    You should get full throttle, it's one of the best ones. Although when I was playing it, there was a problem with ScummVM so you couldn't finish it :/ Might be fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Full Throttle, despite being one of the shorter games, is one of the best. The story, gameplay and voice acting are all top notch. You're really missing out if you haven't played it.

Advertisement