Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graffiti

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

I would have thought the most common ones are IRA, Brits go home and F*ck off foreign scum. Maybe its just the routes i travel ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To compare somebody spraying a few letters on a building, to robbing a car and crushing it into a "crushed lump of metal".. is completely ****ing stupid. Your talking about tagging, have you ever seen pro graffiti? Do you have any experience with art because you seem to have a pretty arse-ways perspective on art to be honest with you. The cleaning bill you talk about is buying a bottle of industrial ink remover and rubbing off the letters, big deal, please, please get over it. Many pro graffiti pieces are done with the permission of the building ownerand are often sponsored for it. Wheres FX Meister??!

If someone "tagged" your car, without asking for permission, would it be art?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pesk

You can't argue that something is or isn't art because of where it is. If Michelangelo had decided he wasn't going to bother to find patronage anymore and just painted his pieces on public buildings in Rome, they wouldn't have any less artistic merit. They would technically be vandalism, yes, but they would still be art. Similarly, if I commissioned someone to scrawl "Jess -L- Anto" on the side of my house (or in my art gallery), it wouldn't be art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bagocans

Ho ho ho, while i do hate the idea of tagging as opposed to artistic grafiti, you anti grafiti guys are hilarious! So who is it, one minute its all scumbags, next its rich kids, make up your mind.
    If its scumbags writing their name evrywhere, then yes, this is pretty lame, also so is little suburbanites ruining a new granite bench with a chicken **** sticky label tag. Tags are pretty lame in all fairness.
    Now, onto ruining all our beautiful warehouses and industrial buildings, sorry but i don't think they have much architectural merit in the first place, builder generated crap. These desolate wastelands are brightened up by grafiti, and as for defacing the lovely developers warehouse, i don't think all involved were really concerned about enriching your built environment when envelopes were passed and the builder designed his fantastic carbon copy warehouse, bring on the bright colours please.
    Tagging in the wrong place (well in any place really) is quite juvenile, but there's some humorous gems out there, some marvellous little stencils, and a wall of colour in a derelict area puts a smile on my face.
    Motorway bridges!, until the NRA or whoever hire some architects or creative engineers or at least try to inject some creativity your criticisms will ring hollow, if they won't enrich our built environment with imaginative (and inexpensive) engineering and architectural projects, bring on the colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

As i said, theres a difference between graffiti and tagging. And no offense but id say 99% of tags happen on walls, not cars. Id like to point out im pro-Graffiti, and not tagging. Proper graffiti, (diagrams available on request, :cool: ) is artistic, many of the impressive pieces (and il just say this again for the craic? ) are done with permission and often sponsorship. I actually remember passing two guys doing a piece on a scaffolding side or whatever with 2 gardai watching them at it. NOW, back to the point, tagging is the lowest form of graffiti i agree, but for graffiti pieces to be hung with tagging is stupid. And well since im missing the point so much, maybe i should start on quoting your bull**** "go back to spraying your hi-aces etc" posts, insightful stuff right there. Out of your 5+ posts you've had pretty much **** all to say, your just basically repeating yourself over except with different ridiculously blown out of proportion comparisons (i.e comparing to crushing someones car to few letters on a derelict wall etc).

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yawn. So you essentially agree with my point, just not the manner of its expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

damages property my hole. jesus, its nothin a lick of paint wont fix, which again would liven up the dull dull concrete.
    even if you cant appreciate the art, can you not appreciate what the artist has done and why? this country is a bad place for examples, but any good graffiti i have seen in other countries tells a story, or conveys a message aswell as brightrning up the sickening sight of modern day cities, ****in **** cities and the people who hold such depressing ****ty buildings in such high regard. get over yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I have to say that all though I'd agree that some graf is art, alot of it is just pointless vandalism (tagging)
    some things are both vandalism and art
    http://www.banksy.co.uk/indoors/02.html

I'd like to see more of the art then of the vandalism.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/03.html#
    2nd picture with the statue
    This is clearly vandalism and not much in the way of art.

A blank gray wall is pretty much free for the taking IMHO providing what goes on it is not Tagging which as I said before I think is pretty pointless.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/06.html
    This one is pretty funny, but that said defacing road signs could easly cause a crash, would'nt it be cool then...

that said it's only as likly to cause a crash as a billboard with a busty model on it.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/06.html

Is this safe for the cows? what kind of paint was used for this? poor animals

Art good, Vandalism bad,
    If painting crap on my wall that I dont want costs me as much as replacing a window why not just smash a window?
    because its art? some of it is... but I've a right to not have you paint all over my property.
    If I wanted art on my wall I'd put it there myself, or hire someone else to do it.

It's a case of whos rights trump the others.
    does my right to not have my property damaged trump your right to express your self...

It's a bit like the old saying, your right to swing you're fist stops at my face.

so you can express you're self as long as you dont damage my stuff.

"oh look, you've painted a 25 foot tall picture of two policemen kissing on my wall. Now I have to have it painted white again."

The best thing is even if you put one blank wall in every street and told people that it was ok to paint on it, they'd still paint any where that they would like to.

according to banksy
    "• Remember crime against property is not real crime. People look at an oil painting and admire the use of brushstrokes to convey meaning. People look at a graffiti painting and admire the use of a drainpipe to gain access."

Banksy thinks I dont have a right to property.
    Banksy thinks Damaging my property is not a crime.
    Banksy thinks that costing me money is not a crime, as long as the damage is art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yeah, as long as it's in a frame.
    astrofool wrote:
    If someone "tagged" your car, without asking for permission, would it be art?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Maximilian wrote:
    Yawn. So you essentially agree with my point, just not the manner of its expression.
    No i just think you need to get your phrases etc right before you go blasting something you obviously no **** all about. Or maybe i should go back to my hi-ace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

We don't have a Banksy or anything close working around Dublin, so it's all just the street-side equivilant of scratching a name in a desk. Lame and ugly. If it's an actual, creative expression of something, and it's on one of our cities thousands of fine derelict buildings or tumble-down walls, then it's only a shame there isn't more of it. Good stuff makes a dreary place look alive. The only decent stuff I can remember seeing was near Smithfield... can't remember where or what...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tempers, please. If you can't discuss without resorting to petty arguments, then you won't discuss anything here at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭Resurrection

I would love to strangle GRIFT. I'm sick of seeing his name everywhere but fairplay I guess because get this. His tag is the whole way up the Brussells to Amsterdam railway line. lol
    That takes alot of effort and somewhat worthless dedication but my mate knows one of the group who are involved in it and apparently they've got big rewards hanging over them if caught.

There's no rewards for Grift or anyone else, it's not the wild west you know. If he gets caught there isn't much they can do to him. They can prosecute for that offence only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Some low-effort, high reward graffiti:

http://usera.imagecave.com/impr0v/junk/chocolate.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

Interesting topic.

Firstly I think tagging is just not clever. The same generic fonts, sparkles and stylisations recurr over and over again and it just looks corny to me. What really gets me about it is that essentially I am just reading someone's name. The name itself cannot be deemed as an artform. What I'm saying is, writing your name (however "masterfully") on a surface is not artistic. You may be a highly skilled painter but it does not make you an artist. What have you created? I think its often more of a "cred" thing. Tagging is just so fuppin' lame.

Graffitti on the other hand can be amazing to look at and can also be as symbolic and artistically important as conventional artforms. It is still vandalism though and anyone who says otherwise is not really thinking straight. That may sound arrogant but I really do believe this. I really like some of the wittier street graffitti (not seen at all in Dublin). Like the "Actual size" one earlier. Politically driven graffitti also has a certain credibility as what is being written is not someone's "cool urban tag" but a message that is relevant and matters in our lives.

What ever way you look at Graffitti/Tagging, its still, obviously, a crime (and should not ideally go ahead without prior permission) however, I feel that when the individual goes beyond simply tagging their name and actually endeavours to create something unique and inventive the piece can really then be taken seriously as a work of art.

I think sometimes the most amazing pieces of graffitti are the ones that are really small and generaly do no damage. Like the "peeling back" one on the fence posted earlier. I'd enjoy looking at these things and they really are not that intrusive. Its still vandalism though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 enjoy

i love graffiti. i enjoy watching style and dominance changing around the city aswell as noticing writers in far away places. i have a great example of a very nice tag. ill dig it out soon. I think grift is a legend. love the way he doesnt stop. people can complain all they like about it but that wont change anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭shyne

grift is a ledgend all city king but there are alot more good writers that get up alot too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Grafitti is class... all types of it too...

I wouldnt waste my time getting into a debate about it on this forum though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Working class expressionism?
    *lols sadly*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

zinc wrote:
    Well Pesk, I'd say Drop and Grift obviously are quite up and have been for some time.

Seen a lot of Rise lately on my way out to UCD for my new semester.

On my way to a house party I got to see a good bit of RFA stuff along the way, some nice stuff by Milk especially and those dudes in general.

Out in the West Str/Stir although aint great just yet are improving especially Ment and they are getting bolder.

There was a Meso tag on my skip in the garden today :D

By the way this is Sepona.

Well sepona,go to hell and take your poxy vandailism with you.Can i have your address so i can paint on the front of your house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

any grafitti artists out there fancy spraying grafitti art on my car?

meso was probably the first tag i saw haven't seen much new stuff by him but uek lads faek yoke, cist and mak done some stuff a while back along the belgad to cookstown luas line so many good writers out there man btw anyone know about any other graffiti shops than all-city?

shyne wrote:
    meso was probably the first tag i saw haven't seen much new stuff by him but uek lads faek yoke, cist and mak done some stuff a while back along the belgad to cookstown luas line so many good writers out there man btw anyone know about any other graffiti shops than all-city?

So is your graffiti better than your grammar?Can i have your address so i can come and add some art to the front of yor house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

People who can't sing don't go around with megaphones and try and push their "art" on others... so why do people who can't paint feel obliged to do similar

People who can't sing don't go around with megaphones and try and push their "art" on others... so why do people who can't paint feel obliged to do similar

Because they're ego-tripping vandals who feel the world should be subjected to the sight of thier name on walls in the manner of a ten year old with a crayon.Fools every last one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Grafitti is class... all types of it too...

I wouldnt waste my time getting into a debate about it on this forum though

The funny thing is though you had no problem coming back wasting your time editing your post where you called graffiti...........wait for it>>>>>>>>>

"working class expressionism"......OMG:rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree. Totally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

shyne wrote:
    what in gods name was that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

ok, my 96 opel astra is there to be srayed. and offers,, good publicity for anyone who wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

@Shyne: There are no other graffiti shops bar All City, although there used to be a market down somewhere to buy Montana. All gone now though. Sure what else could you possible need? Theres also teh internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Graffiti can be a metaphor that defines culture. For example, the film, American Graffiti had little to do with what most consider graffiti, but made a statement about American culture of the time.

yeah, that's all well and good, but it doesn't stop some little prick with a little prick from spraying 10 foot high letters on a wall beside your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I read the first few posts and I'm not arsed reading anymore...

I see grift alot around dublin. Theres an especially good one between the charlemont and harcourt luas stops. He's the first artist I've seen more than once and I love spotting grift written on random bus stops and benches around dublin.

I have a little book full of pictures of excellent graffiti all over europe, you should see some good graffiti before you judge.. besides anyone who dosent like graffiti is an old fart :)

/stir

christ, don't mention that tool.
    there was a whole (very long) thread about him and his ilk and it wasn't nice.
    just like his grafitti.
    yeah, i'm getting my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Package wrote:
    any grafitti artists out there fancy spraying grafitti art on my car?

I saw a grafittied 'smart' car. It looked so cool!

scop wrote:
    @Shyne: There are no other graffiti shops bar All City, although there used to be a market down somewhere to buy Montana. All gone now though. Sure what else could you possible need? Theres also teh internet.
    I was out by dundrum and i saw a shop called nash's paint shop does anyone know if that sells motana or duleux or the like

shyne wrote:
    I was out by dundrum and i saw a shop called nash's paint shop does anyone know if that sells motana or duleux or the like

Why didint you go in and ask or were you afraid?I reckon you're just a troll.

• Advertisement

i second that.

Degsy wrote:
    Why didint you go in and ask or were you afraid?I reckon you're just a troll.
    it was closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

i like seeing **** tags cuz it shows you how hard it is to do a decent one. or how retarded some people are.

i've seen grift sprays in random places (like the car park beside the smelly garage just before vincents hospital ...you know the white wall just before the bottle bank .... that tag is probably 5 or 6 years old , and is ****e.... they have to start somewhere. )

who cares about all the **** on the wall, i'd rather that to grey and regular concrete stuff.... dont worry about it, just hate to be them . makes life a little more interesting don't you think?
    im not talking about the crap anto was here , all that ****e... stuff like 'meat is murder' , blahblah etc, anything that evokes some sort of reaction is good.
    theres some decent tags on the big white thing at seapoint station..i think its seapoint maybe its blackrock ... rise has a real nice orange one there, and theres a few other kinda cool ones.... ALOT of **** though. . but its gonna be covered, and it will disappear, there was tonnes of good tags along there a few years ago and the council must have removed them using the sand back method thingy but like

basically i'm really interested in grafitti and have seen thousands of pictures and books and what not.... the people who actually take it seriously can do some amazing stuff, the people who aren't so serious still think they're the **** but how will they know if they're the next banksy if they don't actually put the stuff up on walls. they have to start somewhere. i noticed the other day alot of grafitti in dublin is on public walls so i don't realy see why people care that much ...if you don't like the grafitti get out there and do something that you think is good and stop complaining about it and how you think its not art, theres no point in fighting about what art is.

pah.

Jesus mate, instead of spouting that crap why didn't you just tell us to re read this thread, those same tired cliches have already been posted. The Graffiti you are talking about and what Banksy does are completely different, if you cannot see that then you have something wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

god im not that thick . its completely obvious that the public statements banksy makes, and the colourful name dropping grift and the likes do are different . i'm not a frickin pleb.

have you seen the stuff banksy did on the palestine wall? that is amazingly meaningful and i am not saying for one second that it compares to the likes of grift , drop , icn , rise etc, what im saying is that it's all street art. and it makes life more interesting.

http://www.cameraviajante.com.br/grafitti%20cópia.jpg

http://www.recursionsw.com/picts/Julian%20Beever%20Sidewalk%20Art%202.jpg

http://files.myopera.com/Oswego/albums/42802/thumbs/Julian%20Beever.jpg_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

You guys are not serious..

Grift for a start is no way sh!t
    he is Dublins all city king
    and although writers like gone have proble done more damage than him you still come down on grift hard as ever..not that its a bad thing..

the reason is that grifts letters in his handstlyes , throwups and pieces are simple and legible..there noy sh!t there basic with a nice crisp style..
    you think hes sh!t you try and do what hes done.not even in the middle of town try and do that in your back garden in as much time as you like..
    you dont diss a king if you cant burn him..and i know you cant..

Grift can do 10 colour wildstyle pieces , he could do a full wall mural , just because he doesnt that doesnt mean he cant..

Yes writers like milk and ears have more style and such but half of you havent even heard of them , but all of you have heard of grift , and thats what he went out writing to do..he has achieved his goal , he doesnt care if you think hes sh!te because if you think hes sh!te then that means youve heard of him , not mentioning you could never do what he can do , not mentioning in the middle of town in a space of five minutes... hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Why did you drag up an ancient, dead thread?

Oh, and I can't understand your post at all. Maybe it's due to the hangover, but what you were writing doesn't seem to be English!

From what I was able to make out from your gibberish is that you are trying to defend some knack with a spray can. Good for you. We are happy for you that you have zero respect for other people's property and have the artistic appreciation of a five-year-old monkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

He probably is "grift" and found it by googling his own name.

I bet grift would be enough of a narcissistic gob****e to do that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

nannou4 wrote: »
    You guys are not serious..

Grift for a start is no way sh!t
    he is Dublins all city king
    and although writers like gone have proble done more damage than him you still come down on grift hard as ever..not that its a bad thing..

the reason is that grifts letters in his handstlyes , throwups and pieces are simple and legible..there noy sh!t there basic with a nice crisp style..
    you think hes sh!t you try and do what hes done.not even in the middle of town try and do that in your back garden in as much time as you like..
    you dont diss a king if you cant burn him..and i know you cant..

Grift can do 10 colour wildstyle pieces , he could do a full wall mural , just because he doesnt that doesnt mean he cant..

Yes writers like milk and ears have more style and such but half of you havent even heard of them , but all of you have heard of grift , and thats what he went out writing to do..he has achieved his goal , he doesnt care if you think hes sh!te because if you think hes sh!te then that means youve heard of him , not mentioning you could never do what he can do , not mentioning in the middle of town in a space of five minutes... hmm.

Hi Grift!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

I presume none of you have any knowledge or expeiriance in the world of graffiti...

Yes grift is a vandal ,
    he is intrested in the art of bombing ,
    to get his name up as much as possible ,
    There are plenty full colour grift pieces along the tracks..

Sure you'd like a city completely free from graffiti ,
    but what would that be , a concrete maze..

grift fill ins all over the city make it more intresting and colourful ,
    yes i am against people just picking up a can and scrawling there name all over the city , but grift is not one of theese , What you see is only a tiny piece of his work , he can do great pieces and fill ins your just not bothered to look for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What the fuk?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement