Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyson at his peak?

Options
  • 15-09-2005 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Would any boxer in history have beaten Tyson when he was at his peak?
    I guy in work had a video of 2 of Tyson's fights when he had just become famous and was knocking people out with ease.

I don't know a huge amount about boxing and the legendary fighters but I know from watching the video that Tyson was an animal back then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

lafortezza wrote:
    Would any boxer in history have beaten Tyson when he was at his peak?
    I guy in work had a video of 2 of Tyson's fights when he had just become famous and was knocking people out with ease.

I don't know a huge amount about boxing and the legendary fighters but I know from watching the video that Tyson was an animal back then.

He was an animal back then.

A young Ali would certainly have beaten him.

Foreman would have probably banged him out.

Others include Louis, Liston, Holmes, Holyfield.

I think Tyson would be a handful for any fighter but these fighters would have beaten him in my opinion. Tyson would have knocked Lennox Lewis out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tyson at his peak was brilliant, but a lot depended on how his opponents performed...most got into the ring and were half scared to death. They lacked the self belief and confidence of the Ali's, Holyfields, Foreman's and Marciano's. Tyson was at best no more than a bully. Granted, he was fast and powerful, but he lacked character and temperament, something that an Ali or Foreman would have brutally exposed. Holyfield showed this in beating Mike. If you study Tyson's fights against Tucker and Bonecrusher, it is so eveident that these guys, had they shown a little more heart and confidence could very easily have beat Mike...when Tyson was put under the cosh, he proved time and time again that he was a LOSER........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 largewang

walshb wrote:
    Tyson at his peak was brilliant, but a lot depended on how his opponents performed...most got into the ring and were half scared to death. They lacked the self belief and confidence of the Ali's, Holyfields, Foreman's and Marciano's. Tyson was at best no more than a bully. Granted, he was fast and powerful, but he lacked character and temperament, something that an Ali or Foreman would have brutally exposed. Holyfield showed this in beating Mike. If you study Tyson's fights against Tucker and Bonecrusher, it is so eveident that these guys, had they shown a little more heart and confidence could very easily have beat Mike...when Tyson was put under the cosh, he proved time and time again that he was a LOSER........
    Walshb, while your arguement holds some truths, you still just knock tyson and call him a loser...he was agressive, yeah i agree was feared somewhat but to turn around and call him a bully and lacking character is just a bit ignorant. he was an aggresive fighter who used his meaness to his advantage to somewhat psych out his opponants..you obviously dont really know boxing that well and i disagree with what you're saying here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

largewang wrote:
    Walshb, while your arguement holds some truths, you still just knock tyson and call him a loser...he was agressive, yeah i agree was feared somewhat but to turn around and call him a bully and lacking character is just a bit ignorant. he was an aggresive fighter who used his meaness to his advantage to somewhat psych out his opponants..you obviously dont really know boxing that well and i disagree with what you're saying here.....

walshie does have a p[oint, but he does take it overboard.

Fact of the matter is, Tyson might have KO'd Ali, Holyfield, Louis, Foreman etc in 1 round at his best if he connected properly. It's not out of the question and obviously we will never know. There is also a chance he might have been beaten though.

Advertisement