Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop/Auction/Guideline price?

Options
  • 15-09-2005 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Is a guideline price not a price i would offer as a GUIDE rather than a set price?

If i was to sell something worth 80 should i set the guideline price to 120 to get what i want as i cant accept a higher bid that what i posted?

Re this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=301679

kdjac
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

if you want to get 80 for it, why not set a fixed price of 80 instead of a guideline price?
    makes sense

tbh I think the guideline price thing is a joke, just from the fact, that this is a term, imo, to auction something off.

same as the 'ono' thing on here

if you want to sell something, I suggest that people can ONLY place an asking price and nothing else, if it is under it and he accepts then happy days.
    If not, then tough cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

From what I understood the guideline price is the max price.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

IMO Guide implies something quite different to Asking.

If the "auction" is to be avoided, then asking price is the only price that can be asked.
    Someone might argue that then people will just start asking for ludicrous prices; but you'll notice that people who ask for ridiculous prices get no response, or at best someone offering far less than what they're asking.

Charter needs some mild revision. Leaving it "open to interpretation" is unfair on new users because it just gives people a chance to jump on them and tear them to shreds through no fault of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Well i always post a big guidline price so i can get the price i want,
    if i have something i want at least 50 for i will put the guidline price at 120

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

what is the offical standing of offering more than the asking price? Since i started buying stuff here on boards i was always under the impression - 1st to offer asking price secures it and you could not accept more than asking price. And also remeber once or twice sellers been told this by mods when accepting an offe above asking price when someone already offered the asking price.

Whats the offical standing on taking offers more than what u asked for?? yay or nay??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

as mentioned, the OP can accept a higher offered price than he wants. why not, but I think it comes down to the matter of how fair he is, and especially if someone has already offered asking price and he accepted

Agreed, I believe that if the OP has agreed on a price with a purchaser, that it should be binding. Nobody should be chancing their arm after that unless it is a simple query about the transaction having occurred if the OP and buyer have no both posted confirmation.

CuLT wrote:
    Agreed, I believe that if the OP has agreed on a price with a purchaser, that it should be binding. Nobody should be chancing their arm after that unless it is a simple query about the transaction having occurred if the OP and buyer have no both posted confirmation.

well i totally agree, it is so annoying when you have offered asking and them someone comes along and offers a few € above it.. just not really fair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

since the OP in that thread didn't make a deal with anybody i see nothing wrong with the 55 offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Why are auctions discouraged? is it because people feel bad when they 'lose' an auction? Is it because it is a commercial way to decide things rather than a friendly way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I reckon that as long as it's not tickets, the vendor should be able to accept a higher offer as long as he hasn't already agreed a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

since the OP in that thread didn't make a deal with anybody i see nothing wrong with the 55 offer.

But someone offered the OP's guide price before the offer of 55 came in, which immediately implies auctioneering.

I think the charter should change "guide" price to "asking" price to remove any ambiguity. But as it stands, guide price is, for all intents and purposes, the price a seller is seeking. First to meet the price* = first in line.

* or a revised price if no luck initially

Lemming wrote:
    First to meet the price* = first in line.

* or a revised price if no luck initially

thats the way id see it, but their are ppl offering more after the asking price has been reached.

Zaph0d wrote:
    Why are auctions discouraged? is it because people feel bad when they 'lose' an auction? Is it because it is a commercial way to decide things rather than a friendly way?
    FS isn't about maximising profit; it's more akin to selling something to your mate; you're not going to rip them off, and you're not going to have a bidding war going on that can cause strife.

It doesn't matter on eBay for example because eBay is an auction site. Boards.ie is a community site, quite different.

I agree with Lemming that the term "Guide" is misleading and should be stricken from the Charter in the next revision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I always thought of 'guide' as a price that is in the ballpark,to negotiate upon.If somebody wants to offer more before a deal is arranged i think that is ok.Just because the price usually goes down from the guide price because people want a good deal doesn't mean that this should always be the case.It could turn into an auction type thing but that doesn't seem to be too rampant.If you frown upon 'guide' and auctioneering then just change it as suggested.
    First to say the asking price shouldn't have to be the one that gets it imo,the seller should decide.He/She may not like the person or their location is inconvenient.In this case or similar ones the seller could have just lied also and said,'oh i can't get it to you because of where you are from' all the down the line to the guy with 55,no?
    Is putting a price above the guide price going to be forbidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

First to say the asking price shouldn't have to be the one that gets it imo,the seller should decide.He/She may not like the person or their location is inconvenient.In this case or similar ones the seller could have just lied also and said,'oh i can't get it to you because of where you are from' all the down the line to the guy with 55,no?

There is such a thing as moderators discretion. If we think you are taking the p*ss - and it can be fairly obvious what's going on - we will act accordingly.

But to answer your question. First to asking price = first in line to get offered the item. Whether or not the sale goes ahead - for whatever reason - is another matter.
    Is putting a price above the guide price going to be forbidden?

I'll not answer that just yet for fear that people then take it as definitive before I've had a chance to consult with the other FS mods. The way it's looking for charter amendment, your question will be rendered moot.

Advertisement