Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The soccer forum.

Options
  • 15-09-2005 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I called a number of Shamrock Rovers fans " f'ing animals' and got a 1 week ban for my trouble. Personally I think the library was thrown at me. It was over the top and a warning (AT MOST) would have been more suitable.

Anyone who folllows the Eircom League and attends the matches knows what it is like when a large number of "fans" decide to cause trouble. They arent real fans , just hooligans.

People who were there would probably called them a lot worse and I cannot get over this savage reaction by boards.ie
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have called them worse and been banned for it....take it like a man ...chin up only 6 days to go .

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

read the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

read the charter

I cant : -

vBulletin Message

jubbly, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Im seriously pissed. Its football... how many fans do you know go to football games and shout things like " Henry , you didnt score the peno, hard luck" and "nasty challenge Roy, maybe you should get booked" :confused:

log out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Jeez quit your whinging rules are rules simple as that and beacause past greivances this is the way its got to be. Boards is a dictatorship not a democracy get bloody used to it.

• Advertisement

!

WDK wrote:
    Jeez quit your whinging rules are rules simple as that and beacause past greivances this is the way its got to be. Boards is a dictatorship not a democracy get bloody used to it.

well this is the feedback forum and I was just giving feedback on what I thought about the soccer forum.

You can consider this thread closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what's worse is that you have managed to get your sponsers banned too....

make you feel any better? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

jubbly wrote:
    Im seriously pissed. Its football... how many fans do you know go to football games and shout things like " Henry , you didnt score the peno, hard luck" and "nasty challenge Roy, maybe you should get booked" :confused:
    So you think you should be able to swear to your hearts content on the soccer forum because people that watch soccer sometimes like to swear a lot?

That logic became flawed on the Counterstrike forum iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I cant : -

I think the point is you should have read it before hand..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the ban was deserved
    quit your whinging, take it on the chin, it's only a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

We all know what they are lets be honest but most of the times you should keep you opinions to yourself . Hell i've had years with these fans runing at us with sticks bottles etc , but you never heard me calling them anything most of teh people that post about eircom league football understand wheer you are coming from but this is not free speech so therefore your ban is deserved

RuggieBear wrote:
    what's worse is that you have managed to get your sponsers banned too....

make you feel any better? :rolleyes:

No, of course not.
    So you think you should be able to swear to your hearts content on the soccer forum because people that watch soccer sometimes like to swear a lot?

That logic became flawed on the Counterstrike forum iirc.

No, my point is that sometimes arguements get heated and people use words than in hindsight may not be the most appropriate. Its football were talking about , not a scientific research project.

the ban was deserved
    quit your whinging, take it on the chin, it's only a week

Im only giving feedback. If you dont want any feedback on this matter just ignore it or put it in the bin. I advocate freedom of speech.

your ban is deserved.....

altho i'd like to call some of the rovers fans, who hit me with a pint glass in a ballsbridge pub, much worse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

jubbly wrote:
    Im only giving feedback. If you dont want any feedback on this matter just ignore it or put it in the bin. I advocate freedom of speech.

You're obviously not aware of the history of the Soccer forum. It started off as a normal forum, with normal access. But then idiots invaded from within and without boards and started having flamewars based on whatever team they supported, flaming each other and such. Actually having a rational discussion based on a love of the sport became increasingly difficult.

In other words it's people like you that have caused these rules to be put in place. Also I'd like to hear your definition of freedom of speech and why it should apply to a privately owned website.

Lastly, if you don't want any feedback on your feedback then I suggest you stop reading this thread.

Is there any chance while most of the main admins are here we can get some one to look at the eircom league forum that is wanted in my sig , its been a while now and no admins have gave me a answer on it amp you got the PHOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 nah will you have a look buddy thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

amp wrote:
    You're obviously not aware of the history of the Soccer forum. It started off as a normal forum, with normal access. But then idiots invaded from within and without boards and started having flamewars based on whatever team they supported, flaming each other and such. Actually having a rational discussion based on a love of the sport became increasingly difficult.

In other words it's people like you that have caused these rules to be put in place. Also I'd like to hear your definition of freedom of speech and why it should apply to a privately owned website.

Lastly, if you don't want any feedback on your feedback then I suggest you stop reading this thread.

You obviously don't know a lot about it either if thats what you think happened.

I think you will find that 90% of the people, me included, banned at the time the Soccer Forum was locked up, are now active members of the forum and get on just fine. It all came about due to unclear boundaries and rules and also some "unbiased" moderating. Thankfully, thats all behind us.

Anyway, Im surprised Jubbly lasted as long as he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sarge wrote:
    Is there any chance while most of the main admins are here we can get some one to look at the eircom league forum that is wanted in my sig , its been a while now and no admins have gave me a answer on it amp you got the PHOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 nah will you have a look buddy thanks
    I know amp seems like an admin with his dazzling wit and godlike presence, but unfortunately he's not. He only lives with one. None of the admins have posted in this thread. They're the ones with 5 gold stars.

You'll have to wait sonny.

Will do sonny ;)

If your build it they will come
    good things come to doe's that wait

etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Draupnir wrote:
    You obviously don't know a lot about it either if thats what you think happened.

I think you will find that 90% of the people, me included, banned at the time the Soccer Forum was locked up, are now active members of the forum and get on just fine.

How does this contradict what I said?
    It all came about due to unclear boundaries and rules and also some "unbiased" moderating. Thankfully, thats all behind us.

Ah it wasn't your fault or any of the rest of the 90% it was the moderators fault. Because people just can't use their own common sense unless a moderator tells them to?

• Advertisement

amp wrote:

Personally I think a few PM's would work a lot better than handing out the bannings to posters and their sponsors for lesser offenses. Most other football discussion boards run this policy (and dont tell me to go there).

My definition of freedom of speech is being able to say your own personal opninion and having not conforming to what the authorities want to you say.

You can leave all the feedback you wish on this thread, I was just closing it in case further action was taken.
    RuggieBear wrote:
    your ban is deserved.....

good explination there :rolleyes:

IMO - if 'you' banned from the soccer forum.. (for a week). you should have to re-apply for access..

releasing your sponsors incase 'you' do it again.

ohh....nasty! :)

IMO - if 'you' banned from the soccer forum.. (for a week). you should have to re-apply for access..

releasing your sponsors incase 'you' do again.

agreed and your first two sponsors should be given the option if they want to sponsor you again !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

releasing your sponsors incase 'you' do again.

Good point. At least it would give the sponsors the chance to 'get out' if they inadvertandly sponsored an idiot and would make them more selective about who they actually sponsor.

As for jubbly's week long ban, I think it's fully deserved - it's a clear insult of a group of fans that could have led to some serious flaming. As a Shamrock Rovers fan, I certainly don't feel I'm a "f'ing animal."

releasing your sponsors incase 'you' do it again.

and can i just add..

the sponsor should only get the 'week' ban (or maybe 'half the week')..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness, the one thing that is clear about the Soccer forum is that there is no flaming allowed. That's blindingly obvious, even to a blind man wearing a blindfold in a dark room, underground. Idiot. Just accept the ban and get over it

Good point. At least it would give the sponsors the chance to 'get out' if they inadvertandly sponsored an idiot and would make them more selective about who they actually sponsor.

As for jubbly's week long ban, I think it's fully deserved - it's a clear insult of a group of fans that could have led to some serious flaming. As a Shamrock Rovers fan, I certainly don't feel I'm a "f'ing animal."

Look i disagree with what jubbly said on boards , you just cant insult people like that on here and that is what that statement is doing but lads lets be honest there is a small element of shamrock rovers fans that are a awaful lot worse then what jubbly said , and you guys know this while i 100% agree with the banning its something that had to be done , jubbly isnt far wrong .

you just cant say that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a world of a difference between saying Rovers have a small minority of idiots that attach themselves to the club in search of trouble, and calling every single Rovers fan a ‘f’ing animal’. I don't deny there is an issue to be discussed, but that's not a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My definition of freedom of speech is being able to say your own personal opninion and having not conforming to what the authorities want to you say.

Who said you had freedom of speech round here? That's what I'd like to know..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement