Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really helpful suggestion - I think

Options
  • 15-09-2005 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

While the "search" is disabled is there any chance the "Recent Posts" list on the main page could be extended from 25 to maybe 50 or something. 25 changes too fast. By the time you read one thread the others have moved off the list.
    Just a suggestion mind you. I don't know how much work is involved. Maybe just a parameter perhaps?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Have you subscribed to your favourite forums?

If not, do so, then select 'Subscribed' on the left panel beside the recent posts list - That way, you'll only see recent posts in your subscribed forums.

Also, if there are threads of importance to you that you want to keep tabs on, subscribe to them too.

Adding a feature to encompass something that can be done with about three minutes of clicking (Asuming you haven't subscribed to your favourite forums) would be relatively pointless. You can click the 'Virgin' link so it only shows new threads, also.

Try that instead.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

On top of that, the search feature was removed to take a little stress away from the new server (The original server [ie. the better one] is borked) so I doubt that adding new features would be on top of the priority list until everything is fixed first.

I never use the search feature at all, myself, and judging by the amount of people unhappy with it being gone, I'm glad I never got used to using it in the first place :eek:

Make do with what you have you lazy ****s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I didn't ask for a new feature at all. I just suggested that the parameter which governs the number of lines displayed be changed temporarily to a higher value. Maybe someone who knows more about page design than I do would care to comment? Am I that far off the mark?

Well excuse me for trying to help, knowing that feature adding is a very unlikely thing to happen given the situation with the server, sheesh.

So much for trying to be a Boards Boy Scout :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Someone please delete the thread.
    I ment no offence. I too was just trying to be helpful. :( Sorry RopeDrink .

• Advertisement

I see you edited out the sarky comment.

No need for apologies - No need for either of us getting our backs up, either. We're all trying to help but unfortunately there's little us peons can do :(.

Wait it out - I'm sure the Admins are well on top of the issue.
    My main point was the fact that, unless your some sort of hyper poster who needs to keep tabs on a massive amount of forums, the search feature can be lived without. Fair enough I'm sure it helps, but we'll have to make do.
    As I said before, I'm glad I never got into using the search engine much (The only time I used it was to find one or two threads from a few years back when I was bored, so I could poke fun at how I used to post in the past) and seeing as I never used it, nothing much has changed here for me since the server went b0rked, other than the obvious slowness.

I never meant any offence, was merely taking the mick inbetween trying to lend a hand.

Let's group hug, people. Peace and love for all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

New servers are ordered and they can model the universe so we'll reactivate the search option then. A nice feature for future might be for users to be able to set a number of latests posts for the front page, right now though, it has to come behind about half a billion priority fixes we have to do once the new servers arrive.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

DeVore wrote:
    New servers are ordered and they can model the universe
    What does it look like?

Like a big mush of black papier mache with white dots and colourdy swirls painted on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it seems children in art class have a good handle on modelling the universe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ecksor wrote:

are you subscribed to cricket then Ecksor?

That shows all the recent threads in what 'YOU' are subscribed in, not anybody else.

Great and handy link actuallly.
    The universe is overated.

I suppose I could write a script that showed all the members only threads that I was interested in, although I'm not sure what use that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

perfect for your groupies...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

RuggieBear wrote:
    perfect for your groupies...
    There's a good cream you can get for that

A man goes to the Doctor and says "Doctor doctor, I have strawberries growing out of my bum". The doctor says "That's ok, I've got some cream you can put on them".

Apparantly it's odd for me to post one liners, so I couldn't post 'lol'.
    Instead, I was going to play the tumbleweed card, but I'd rather not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ecksor wrote:
    Like a big mush of black papier mache with white dots and colourdy swirls painted on it.

wasnt that the last one :)

Advertisement