Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential FF7 Remake may take 5 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It's a big wait, but lots of time for developers to be using the full power of the PS3....and lots of time for it to come down in price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Id say id complete FF13 by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the point of a remake? A true sequel is what's needed, however given Square's recent track record, I seriously doubt it could live up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Five years? Ah feck. I'll be ancient by the time that comes out.
    What's the point of a remake? A true sequel is what's needed, however given Square's recent track record, I seriously doubt it could live up to the hype.

A sequel has the very dangerous possibility of being utter tripe like X-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

A sequel? You takin de piss? =P

Who would the boss be? Sephiroths dead, Hojo's dead, Jenovas dead, Rufus dead. Turks too laid back to be even a threat. So that just leaves Palmer =P Or possibly more weapons :D

I dont think id like to see either a remake or a sequel (sequel is a defo nono imo). Although a remake would be tempting as the graphics would no doubt be pure eye candy and id love to see the FF7 to its fullist.

Although id rather just see new games being made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

havnt seen Advent children have you nix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Oh dear god NO!

I want a remake. I don't want voices, I don't want extra characters, I don't want any other side-quests (well, as long as they don't deviate too much from the main story) and I don't want any story alterations. I think I'd cry if they changed my beloved FFVII. Any news on when Advent Children's getting a European release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

I agree. Don't change my beloved Aeris and Vincent.

acri wrote:
    Any news on when Advent Children's getting a European release?

Well it was pushed back in America so I'd say the end of this year at the earliest, more likely the beginning of 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ethan Ross

Hah, I'm a staff member on BlueLaguna. Don't trust anything Akeem says, he's a gobby. Heh. Regardless, its doubtful that Square will remake FF7, though I wouldn't mind if they did. A 'sequel' however would be a terrible idea. Considering the piss-poor job they did of Advent Children (sorry lads, it's true, they didn't do anything amazing with it other than the visuals.) Square should not be allowed to touch the idea of sequels without having their knuckles slapped. Final Fantasy games were by their creators very definition, single enclosed point A to point B stories. The only FF sequel ever created was X-2, and look how that turned out. Now, I'll give Square credit where they deserve, their visuals and interface design has gotten better and better, and X-2s combat system was a gem to be sure, but storywise? They're getting less and less complex in order to deal with an audience which has lesser and lesser intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Ethan Ross wrote:
    Hah, I'm a staff member on BlueLaguna. Don't trust anything Akeem says, he's a gobby. Heh. Regardless, its doubtful that Square will remake FF7, though I wouldn't mind if they did. A 'sequel' however would be a terrible idea. Considering the piss-poor job they did of Advent Children (sorry lads, it's true, they didn't do anything amazing with it other than the visuals.) Square should not be allowed to touch the idea of sequels without having their knuckles slapped. Final Fantasy games were by their creators very definition, single enclosed point A to point B stories. The only FF sequel ever created was X-2, and look how that turned out. Now, I'll give Square credit where they deserve, their visuals and interface design has gotten better and better, and X-2s combat system was a gem to be sure, but storywise? They're getting less and less complex in order to deal with an audience which has lesser and lesser intelligence.

I completely agree. Square have a knack of cocking things up

FFX-2
    The Bouncer
    Ehrgeiz
    FFXI Online
    FFX (sorry, but this was just FFVIII respun and resealed)

I cherish FFVII and don't want my rose tinted nostalgia of it tarnished. I wouldn't want to pay out money again (not to mention splashing out for a PS3, which is said to cost within the E600 region) for a game that I already completed ten times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Ethan Ross wrote:
    Considering the piss-poor job they did of Advent Children (sorry lads, it's true, they didn't do anything amazing with it other than the visuals.)

tell me exactly how they did a piss-poor job. I just saw it and, to be honest, it's amazing in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

FFX is nothing like FF7. How are you comparing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'd go for an updated-graphics version of FF7 (nothing else changed). I'd have much preferred if they had gone with FF8-style character models etc with 7 rather than the usual super-deformed crap. It makes the storyline much harder to take seriously when your character doesn't even have hands!

Ramses wrote:
    tell me exactly how they did a piss-poor job. I just saw it and, to be honest, it's amazing in all areas.

Do you honestly believe that it was a fitting post-events wrap up? I don't. Primarily because I don't believe the story needed to be wrapped up. I've played Final Fantasy 7 an uncountable amount of times, believe me, mate, it didn't need as sequel in any way shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Ethan Ross wrote:
    Do you honestly believe that it was a fitting post-events wrap up? I don't. Primarily because I don't believe the story needed to be wrapped up. I've played Final Fantasy 7 an uncountable amount of times, believe me, mate, it didn't need as sequel in any way shape or form.

You're right. The story didn't need to be extended and there was absolutely no need for a sequel of any form. My only problem is you reckon it was a "piss-poor job". There's no way they could make it so all fans would be happy. They're trying to wrap up a game that some fans have played for over 100 hours in 100 minutes! Obviously some will dislike it and others will love it but I hope nobody can deny that Square Enix did a great job.

Ramses wrote:
    You're right. The story didn't need to be extended and there was absolutely no need for a sequel of any form. My only problem is you reckon it was a "piss-poor job". There's no way they could make it so all fans would be happy. They're trying to wrap up a game that some fans have played for over 100 hours in 100 minutes! Obviously some will dislike it and others will love it but I hope nobody can deny that Square Enix did a great job.

I'm inclines to agree with him but I wouldn't call it piss-poor now.

The story didn't really need to be expanded on but seeing as it was I'd have like more story instead of loads of flashy visuals and lighting and snazzy fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Anima wrote:
    FFX is nothing like FF7. How are you comparing them?

Look at my post, I said FFX was FFFVIII(8) respun, not FFVII

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFX was FFVIII respun except with infinitely better sotryline, combat and had actual characters :p;)

You're the first person in the world to say that a game beyond 7 had a better story than it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

FF7 is the best ever in the series no competition there.
    FF10 was quite good and that game seemed to have beenthought out enough so it would be second best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ethan Ross wrote:
    You're the first person in the world to say that a game beyond 7 had a better story than it.
    IX was better :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say that arguably FFX is as good as if not better than FFVII. I loved FFIX but the story was just too weak despite having great characters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ye it was not as good as some plots but the best characters make for the best game for me.I wuv you vivi etc.

ye it was not as good as some plots but the best characters make for the best game for me.I wuv you vivi etc.

Meh, the characters were good enough, Vivi is one of the most likeable fellows in the entire series.

Thing that annoyed me was that I really wanted to find out a bit more about Amarant and to a lesser extent Freya, they could have done with a good bit more development and so forth.

Grandia 1 fan? If you aren't you probably would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Hi lads,

Heres a tech demo of the up and comming FFVII. Hope ye like it

Tech Demo FF VII

It's only a tech demo. Square haven't even started doing a remake and are only contemplating it. There is talk of a remake though but not for some time.

Advertisement