Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd (the build up)

• 15-09-2005 12:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems as the Champions League games are out of the way we can now look forward to this gem of a game.Liverpool will be out to win this and not have a repeat of last season when a Rooney goal at the Kop end gave United a 1-0 win.

For anybody who likes a bet....

Liverpool v Man Utd

Liverpool 8 - 5

Draw 11 - 5

Man Utd 8 - 5

More prices can be found Here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am in the Kop for this one, lookign forward to it but if we play as we did against Sunderland I think our clean sheet/unbeaten streak will be under threat. Wonder if the pool players have been watching the tapes of the rooney wind up methods ? Am not sure that this game will finish 11 v 11 one way or anther.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Damn it being at 12 midday though.
    Still should be a good match all the same.

sinecurea wrote:
    Damn it being at 12 midday though.
    Still should be a good match all the same.

Yeah must be awful for ya, I have to get up at 7:30 to get the bus from here at eightish to get to the game for twelve and the oubs around the ground don't open till twelve so no chance of even having a beverage before the game :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

the oubs around the ground don't open till twelve so no chance of even having a beverage

Category A game.....not a chance of getting a beer before this.I know this would never happen but if these games were played on a Friday night or late on a Saturday it would really add to the atmosphere.You cant beat a late kick off for atmosphere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I am in the Kop for this one

Pfffft. Got a spare ticket?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gonne be an exciting match. I personally think United may pip this as Liverpool have been anything but decent in the league so far. Am praying for the team to turn out and win though :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well i can see liverpool winning this anyway.
    maybe even comfortably not sure why i think this just do.

Has been beer available before at Cat A Games, pubs are right next to the ground,as it is a prem game, my only hope is that they will be selling beer at the ground earlier than the pubs open (don't sell beer in ground on european nights).

Am I right in saying Alex still rates this as Man Utds biggest game of the season...?I think I read this somewhere last year,could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Has been beer available before at Cat A Games, pubs are right next to the ground,as it is a prem game, my only hope is that they will be selling beer at the ground earlier than the pubs open (don't sell beer in ground on european nights).
    Go to the shop the night before, get some whiskey and a mixer for your journey :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

This is a strange one to call. Neither team have really gotten out of second gear yet this season. Liverpool have had an okay start to the premiership but a great win in Champs Cup. Man Utd started well but 2 draws (Man C and Villareal) has them looking a bit fatigued and are sorely missing Keane. For both teams, a loss here will push them out of the comfort zone and will be a big psycological blow.

I'm going for a narrow Liverpool win. After the midweek European games, it's Liverpool that seem to be getting a bit of a stride to their game. Crouch and Pongolle worked well up front and hopefully they'll start again. Alonso, Gerrard and Sissoko in midfield gives good choice to Benitez in how to play. Hopefully Zenden won't start. One problem for Liverpool is Hyypia. He showed in the Betis game that he's not as good as he once was which could easily be exploited by Rooney and Nistleroy
    Utd. have big midfield problems. No Keane, Smith isn't up for the job, no wingers in form. It will take massive changes from their game against Villareal for Utd to sort out their midfield. Playing Rooney in a wide position hasn't helped them up front either.

Tough one to call because both teams will have to change/improve their game plan a lot based on recent performances. Still tough I have a feeling Liverpool will edge out a nervy one goal victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I have a good feeling with this one for Liverpool. Utd did not look impressive in there last two games, Keane, Neville and Heinze out for Utd. I am going for a 3-1 win!! :D:D
    I hope we line out as below:
    Reina
    Finnan---Hypia---Carragher---Warnock
    Alonso---Sissasko
    ---Pongolle----Gerrard----Garcia---
    Crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

3-0 to Utd

Rooney with a hat-trick....wonder wat the kop would throw at him then!! prob the kitchen sink

Only jokin people! calm down! cant see Liverpool winning this one....1-0 to Utd or 2-1 to Utd with Rooney among the goals , he always plays well in the game after he messes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I can see the teams cancelling each other out and it fizzling into a 0-0 draw to be honest.

hoping we start with

Reina
    finnan--josemi--hyypia--carra--traore--warnock--risse
    garcia---sissoko--hamann---gerrard--alonso---zenden

pongolle--cisse--crouch--fowler

beat us now!!

I can see the teams cancelling each other out and it fizzling into a 0-0 draw to be honest.

I hope there is an early goal to avoid this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Van Der Sar

Brown Rio Sly Josh

Fletcher Smith Scholes

Ronaldo Rooney

Van nist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Handy 3 points for United reserves. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Big Nelly wrote:
    Van Der Sar

Brown Rio Sly Josh

Fletcher Smith Scholes

Ronaldo Rooney

Van nist
    Are you sure Brown is fit? Last I heard he was still working his way back to match-fitness. If he is then I'd expect it to be that team, but if not I'd expect O' Shea to continue in right-back and Richardson at left-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayordenis wrote:
    hoping we start with

Reina
    finnan--josemi--hyypia--carra--traore--warnock--risse
    garcia---sissoko--hamann---gerrard--alonso---zenden

pongolle--cisse--crouch--fowler

beat us now!!
    ROFL!

but seriously - liverpool to shave this. 2-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

Big Nelly wrote:
    Van Der Sar

Brown Rio Sly Josh

Fletcher Smith Scholes

Ronaldo Rooney

Van nist

Wouldn't O'Shea at right-back, Silvestre left-back and Brown in the centre with Ferdinand make more sense?

Either way, dodgy for United having both first choice full-backs injured at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Liverpool 1 Goal in Premiership, dont make out for a good stat goin into the match, but the 0 Conceded good :D
    United 1 conceded but Scored 6 ffs :(

Hopin after Betis that finally found our scorin touch :D
    Before i checked the table was gonna say 3-1 or 3-2 till Liverpool
    But after checkin the table, has cast doubt in my mind & thinkin could be 0-0 , or a lucky goal givin the match away :mad:

Wonder if my Cisse shirt of ebay be here by then :p

Come on Liverpool :D \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Berns wrote:
    Liverpool 1 Goal in Premiership, dont make out for a good stat goin into the match, but the 0 Conceded good :D
    United 1 conceded but Scored 6 ffs :(

Hopin after Betis that finally found our scorin touch :D
    Before i checked the table was gonna say 3-1 or 3-2 till Liverpool
    But after checkin the table, has cast doubt in my mind & thinkin could be 0-0 , or a lucky goal givin the match away :mad:

Wonder if my Cisse shirt of ebay be here by then :p

Come on Liverpool :D \o/

is that English? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Brown is not fit.
    The big question in this squad is the full backs tbh.
    There is the option of Pique at right back and O'Shea at left back, which tbh I'd like to see.
    Also Slyvestre at left back, Rio at CB, Pique at CB, O'Shea at right back, and tbh I expect to see that line up.

Fletcher Smith Scholes Ronaldo Rooney and Van Nist will all start probably.
    Although I'd like to see Richardson in for Smith, but I doubt thats going to happen.

I think Hypia has been shown to be very weak this year, and i think will cost Liverpool a goal or two.
    I do expect United to win this by two goals, but this is a derby match :)

Also Fergie knows its importance, and knows damm right a win against Liverpool always boosts our spirits and our team, so I expect a full on game, with a lot of attack.

I doubt Liverpool as a team can score against us, although Gerrard might :P

Don't know tbh, but its going to be ****ing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im in a bit of a predicament lads. you see, i fly into croatia (dubrovnik) at 6pm on saturday with the girlfriend for the start of our 9 day holiday. Now, i long to see this match but at 1pm (local time) on the first real day of our holiday i know herself will not be too up for it. hardly romantic! What do i do?! What do i do?!

any suggestions/good ways of diplomatically managing to see it without ruining the holiday and pissing her off? or should I *shudder* bite the bullitt and skip the match! *swoons briefly at the thought* Im sure someones been in the same/similer situation before so any advice appreciated. (this is almost a question for personal issues!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Compromise: You go watch the match. Let her off shopping. She's most likely going to shop on holidays at some stage. This way you don't have to do the shopping thing and she won't have to watch football.
    Or maybe ye could just casually walk into some "historic" Croatian bar and "oh, Utd and Liverpool are playing, isn't that a happy coincidence". :D

Seriously though that's ****. Imagine not watching it, coming back here and everyone saying how fantastic it was. Do you want to be that guy.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

With United being so shít in midfield I can see this being a 1-1 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could Liverpools best chance for a few years, assuming no late fitness worries I'll go for a score draw edging towards a Liverpool win. (2-1).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1-0 Utd rooney wondergoal followed by his dismissal for exuberant celebrations.

Pool havent conceded in PL but have only scored 1 goal in PL so predicting 2 is a bit mad vs a defense which has only conceded 1 this season.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

VDS
    O'Shea--Sly--Rio--Richardson (Maybe bardsley at rb and o'shea at lb)
    Smith
    ----Fletcher---Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Ruud

Reckon 0-0 or 0-1 to Utd, Ruud, some time around the 60 mark.

Here's my best line-up

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Traore
    Pongolle - Momo - Alonso - Riise
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Bench:

Carson
    Warnock
    Hamann
    Zenden
    Cisse

No room for Garcia or Josemi.

but then I would'nt have predicted the Betis starting 11 :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    Here's my best line-up

No room for Garcia or Josemi.

but then I would'nt have predicted the Betis starting 11 :)

Mike.

Why Crouch instead of Cisse? I would have thought Cisses pace the better option.

In such a game guile beats pace - Crouch is more versatile. Bring Cisse on at say 75 mins if extra horsepower is needed to mix things up.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think Manchester united will win. Liverpool despite being Euro champions are still only an average team.

5 years ago this would be a massive game, but since Chelsea have come along it is not as important as it used to be.

Not that the boys in the Kop would agree with me. ;)

Not that the boys in the Kop would agree with me. ;)
    Don't think too many in the Stretford End would agree with you either :p

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    The big question in this squad is the full backs tbh.

Have you (or anyone else) heard any more about Heinze's injury?

By the way, I just can't see Liverpool beating United.
    0-0, or 0-1

horseflesh wrote:
    Have you (or anyone else) heard any more about Heinze's injury?

By the way, I just can't see Liverpool beating United.
    You'll have to close your eyes ;)
    It'd be a great help to Liverpool if Heinze were to be injured - Liverpool could certainly struggle in this match. We don't have anyone scoring for us up front so we could be relying on the midfield for a result - Gerrard or Alonso to nick a goal. If United are on form defence is where we'll see problems, don't think we have the defence to contain Rooney.

p.pete wrote:
    You'll have to close your eyes ;)
    It'd be a great help to Liverpool if Heinze were to be injured - Liverpool could certainly struggle in this match. We don't have anyone scoring for us up front so we could be relying on the midfield for a result - Gerrard or Alonso to nick a goal. If United are on form defence is where we'll see problems, don't think we have the defence to contain Rooney.

Heinze IS injured, I'm just wondering for how long (he's in my Fantasy Football team..... ;) )
    As I said above, missing both full-backs is a blow for United because they don't have "great" cover. Having said that I think they'll miss them in an attacking sense more than a defensive sense.
    Rooney; an ex-Everton player now playing for United, against Liverpool......where could it possibly go wrong?!?!?

By the way, I'm not a United (or Liverpool) supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

This is still a BIG match Scousers V Mancs

Always was and always will be on of the biggest games for both clubs

Have to say though, on current form it does not look good for UTD

Fingers crossed for a win (UTD that is), but more than likely a score draw (1-1)

Van the Man will need to wake up for this game, i can defo see someone being sent off on Sunday, it usually happens as there is such rivalry between the clubs

Heinze is out for at least three weeks, at least.
    However scans could reveal further injuries.
    I'd swap him out of my Fantasty Football Team.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Heinze is out for at least three weeks, at least.
    However scans could reveal further injuries.
    I'd swap him out of my Fantasty Football Team.

Balls.....

we're talkin the whole season guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Liverpool will dominate midfield and win by a couple, Rooney and RVN won't get any service, Rooney will get frustrated and lose it again and get sent off. He'll then provoke the crowd and will get a longer ban by the FA.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

4-0 to UTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have some weird feeling will be 2-1 to the pool..think midfield will be the difference with gerrard sissoko and xabi overrunning it..

I feel United will miss keane and their Defensive woes are continuing. Having said that their defence does not have a whole lot to worry about with the pool strikeforce only netting once in the Prem this season. I hope that the game swings on the midfield where I feel we are stronger, if it is down to strength in attack then the pool could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I think the defences will come out on top and I'll go with a (not boring!) scoreless draw.

Lets see.

United have concedded one this season, where Heinze hasn't been playing anyway.
    Liverpool have scored once this season.
    Man United have scored 6
    Liverpool have conedded once.

Uniteds back 5(GK incl) and front 3 are better, the front much, than Liverpools.

Midfield is an area in which I think Liverpool are above, only because Gerrard.
    If we take Scholes as our best midfielder of 3, Fletcher and Smith compared to Alonso and Captain Sisko, I'm not convinced they are hugely ahead.
    That said, they have a better midfield, as Gerrard is a giant in big games like this one.
    That said, they can't score unless its from midfield, and we can score, with a total lack of midfield.[Oh to see Gerrard in a United shirt]
    Anyway :)
    United to win, just like we have in the last 5 out of 6 matches

PHB wrote:
    Fletcher and Smith compared to Alonso

IMO Alonso is much much better than Smith or Fletcher no comparasion whatsoever

I would imagine so :)
    What would you think when I say that I think Fletcher is one of the best midfielders in the premiership :) See how different fans think :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement